Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What is the T-Voice®app?

The T-Voice app turns your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android smartphone or tablet into a home phone. The T-Voice app is free to download and can be used to make and receive home phone calls using your fixed voice service just like a normal handset. It's compatible with all Telstra Home phone and broadband plans. Any calls you make using the T-Voice app will be charged at the same great value rates in your current home phone calling plan. Please check your Critical Information Summary for call rates.

Key Features

- Super quick and easy set up process

- Control how your calls are handled with powerful features like call forward, call waiting Telstra Home Messages 101/Message Bank

- Activate/de-activate call forwarding simply and easily using the T-Voice app

- Share some or all your smartphone and tablet contacts with every other smartphone, tablet or T-Voice 502 handset registered to the same Telstra gateway

Some things to remember

- Compatible with Android 4.x and 5.x, iOS 6.1 on the iPod Touch and 7.x and 8.x on iPad, iPad Mini and iPhone

- Requires a compatible Telstra Broadband (NBN or ADSL) and Telstra home phone service

- Requires a compatible Telstra gateway, i.e. Telstra Gateway Max or T-Gateway.

- Not available on Telstra Cable services.

- While the app itself is free to download it will count towards your data usage and any calls made will be rated in accordance with the underlying voice charges in your Telstra Bundle or Telstra home phone plan.

How does the T-Voice app work?

The T-Voice app connects to your Telstra gateway over Wi-Fi.  The gateway is cabled to your home phone service on Telstra’s NBN or ADSL network.  This will allow you to make & receive calls as if T-Voice were any other telephone handset.

Does the T-Voice app offer High Definition calling?

The T-Voice app is capable of a High Definition (HD) calling experience when making calls on a Telstra NBN service to a HD compatible device.  

How can I improve the voice quality of the call when using the T-Voice app?

The quality of your calling experience is dependent on a number of factors:

• Whether you are making a call to another HD capable handset
  • Whether you are making a call on the Telstra NBN network or Telstra home phone network.
  • Distance from Telstra gateway: the closer you are to the gateway, the better the calling experience. T-Voice app is limited by the range of Wi-Fi. The range can be increased by using extenders which are readily available from Telstra and other leading electronic stores. The T-Voice handset connects to the Telstra gateway using a different technology called DECT which enables the device to maintain connectivity up to 300 metres.
  • Quality of Wi-Fi connection: If there are multiple connected devices or heavy data usage over your T-Gateway, the calling experience may be reduced. If you have a T-Voice Gateway Max, re-register your smart phone/tablet to the Wi-Fi network that has 5G appended to your gateway SSID and connect every other device to the SSID without the 5G appended. .

This will ensure that all your voice calls will not have to contend with other applications and service such as gaming, internet browsing or watching online movies. The disadvantage of this change though is that the range of the T-Voice app will drop slightly and have more difficulty working between walls and concrete.

Hardware: Each handset and tablet manufacturer optimises their specific device to perform voice calling. In some cases the person hearing you talk using the T-Voice app may suggest that you sound too loud or too soft in which case you will need to adjust the volume of the microphone:

• Step 1: When you are not in a call, go to T-Voice Settings and select Device Options
  • Step 2: Move the Microphone Volume slider to the right to increase the volume of your voice when you speak to the other person and vice versa. Note – by increasing it too much you risk introducing distortion during the call.

Note: Handset battery charge or the number of handsets registered to the Telstra gateway will not affect the voice quality.

How can I improve the voice quality of the call when using the T-Voice 502 handset?

The quality of your calling experience is dependent on a number of factors:

• Whether you are making a call to another HD capable handset
  • Whether you are making a call on the Telstra NBN network or Telstra home phone network.
  • Distance from Telstra gateway: Unlike the T-Voice app that uses Wi-Fi, the T-Voice handset connects to the Telstra gateway using DECTThis means thatyou can be at a greater distance from the Telstra gateway than if you were using the T-Voice app. However, the closer to the gateway, the better the calling experience.
  • Note: Handset battery charge or the number of handsets registered to the Telstra gateway will not affect the voice quality.  

How do I make internal calls with the T-Voice app?

When you first set up the T-Voice app on your smartphone or tablet, it will be assigned a number (1** - 7**).  This number can then be used to make and receive internal calls between devices in the home.  These calls are free and are made by calling the device number then pressing **.  For example “1*”.

To place a call that makes all internal devices that are linked to the T-Gateway or Telstra Gateway Max ring, dial “**0”.

Numbering plan

1** to 7** to individually call an individual smart phones/tablets with T-Voice installed.

**1 to **6 to call an individual T-Voice 502 handset

**7 to call the phone wired to the Gateway through the green phone socket

**8 to call the other phone wired to the Gateway through the green phone socket (Telstra Gateway Max only)

**0 to call all the T-Voice devices, all the DECT handsets and any home phones connected to the green phone sockets on the back of the gateway

On NBN only, you can call the 502 handset from the T-Voice app via ** and its number. For example, **1 will call the first 502 handset.

Can I use the T-Voice app over any internet connection?

No. The T-Voice app can only be used within range of the Telstra gateway that you have registered your T-Voice app to. You can register the T-Voice app to as many compatible Telstra gateways as you like. However all voice calls will be charged to the home/premise that you are making calls from.

Can I make a Video call through my T-Voice app?

Video calling is not yet available through the T-Voice app.

Can I use the T-Voice app on my T-Hub / Windows Tablet, PC, Mac or Smartphone?

The T-Voice app is only available on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android smartphones and tablets.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Bozo
Level 1: Cadet

Re: What is the T-Voice™ app?

Re: Will the T-Voice app sync with my native device contacts?

I believe that the T-Voice App just uses the iPad or Android contact list so there is no synching. In other words, you can see all changes in the native address book or the T-Voice app.

Tel

Re: What is the T-Voice™ app(NBN only)?

I was hoping to use the app with my wireless network which is attached to an NBN configured Technicolor TG797n v3 however it appears that the gateway's wireless radio must be active.

Level 21: Augmented

@Tel wrote:

I was hoping to use the app with my wireless network which is attached to an NBN configured Technicolor TG797n v3 however it appears that the gateway's wireless radio must be active.

If you set one modem to channel 1 and the other to channel 11 you should be able to use both at once with no issues. Alternatively you could even hide the T-Gateway's SSID if you would prefer.

Lathania

This is a good start and it works if I connect directly to the WiFi of the T-Gateway but not via another internal network (different subnet) I have configured over the ethernet (and a sepearte WiFi AP).

What would be better is if you can release the client settings for the SIP server so that we can configure our own software from desktops and other devices. See http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/telstracon/board/crawl_message?board.id=National_Broadband_Networ... for a previous post by me asking for SIP settings.

Level 21: Augmented

I very much doubt Telstra will ever release their SIP settings for the same reason older Telstra modems had various features such as voip locked down in the firmware. If it's avaliable for use, people expect Telstra to support it and it just ends up with a bad user experience.

Wally as much as you would be able to configure your own SIP software and realise that it's your own problem if something goes wrong, for every person who understands that there are 15 who will insist it is Telstra's responsibility.
Lathania

Thanks for taking the time to reply Lathania and I do understand this position. I am also certain that Telstra do have some appreciation for the risk of people like me changing providers because we cannot achieve what we want technically as opposed to supporting a vast quantity of people who probably don't have the skill or desire to set up their own soft phones (or even create their own personal PABX, scary right!).

Competitors such as iiNet do allow such things and publish their SIP settings.

I expect that Telstra may also feel they have 12 to 24 months to figure out their policy in this area as that is when people who signed up to the NBN will start to come off their contract period. I for one hope they will allow a little more flexibility with regard to how we utilise the NBN. Not just VOIP settings but router alternatives as well. I use pfsense but have to have it sitting behind the Telstra gateway because I cannot configure or replace the VOIP functionality so I don't get the best out of either product.

There are a number of people asking the same questions in this forum and you can bet that for everyone that asks a question, there are another 10 or 20 wanting to do the same thing. Lets hope Telstra sees the value in not inhibiting these sort of users.

Flowers

I have just downloaded the T voice app and it says line in use even though it's not in use. Any help would be appreciated. I have NBN wifi phone set up and my phones and thub 2 are all working through the NBN.
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi Flowers,

Can I please ask what device you have downloaded the application on?  Unfortunately there are several restrictions on the application and the device on which it will run eg iPhones are not compatible.  However assuming you have a compatible device, there are several things which I'd suggest checking:

1. In the settings is the T-Gateway connection turned on?  (simple things first Smiley Happy

2. What internal number is the device set to? (keep note of this number)
3. How many other devices do you have? ie how many phones including the T-Hub2 tablet?
4. What internal numbers are the phones and T-Hub set to?  You should be  (2 devices using the same number will likely cause this issue)

5. I'd probably try a factory reset of the T-Gateway supplied with your NBN connection, this will force the modem to download its SIP details again and may resolve and glitches experienced.  The reset button is located on the back of the modem.

If this fails to fix your issue let us know so we can try some other things Smiley Happy  Hope this info helps.

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Flowers

Thanks Bmac.. I am looking at downloading t voice to my iPad, I have two phones on wii fi and the reason I am looking at using this app is that when the phones are on speaker there is a lot of feedback, static and drops out.. The phones seem to be okay without the speaker function.. The phones are telstra issued phones. Thanks so much for your contribution, tomorrow I have a Telstra tech coming out .. If can get voice working and there is no static on ipad I will leave it all on wifi , if that doesn't work don't know what to do. I will show the tech your comments and let you know how it all works out..

I hope all that makes sense.. Btw he cut the cooper wire so I'm stuck with NBN but the speaker function which I use in my work is really not working.. Oh one more question, if using wifi phone from NBN does that slow my internet connection.. I am finding iPad becomes really slow when on the phones..
Flowers

Okay I'm back.. T voice still not working, wifi phones on speaker not working, the best I got from Telstra techs was to take a phone from another room to my office, yea right or hold the phone with my neck . . That is so not OHS.. I give up and I am so disillusioned
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Flowers,

If you are needing a hands free option while you work, have you thought about using a DECT headphone?

You should be able to pair it with the T-Gateway so long as it is DECT 3.0 capable.

Were you able to get the App working on your iPad? 

Setup: 

- Once the app is launched, tap on Let's Get Started.
-Select a number for the device you're registering with the app. The default value is 1#. All devices need to have individual internal numbers. If the customer has more than one device with the T-Voice app, they have to select a unique internal number
- Tap Next to continue with the setup.
- Tap Finish to finish the initial setup.
- Once the setup is successful, the T-Voice app screen will be displayed.

To Check the Settings:

- launch the T-Voice app Settings by selecting Settings from the bottom right hand corner.
- view the connection status of the T-Voice app from the Connections tab [ T-Gateway Connection=On & Internal Number]
- can also contact the Telstra about the T-Voice app via the Contact Us tab. [ Will display the phone number of service]

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Lidzau
Level 2: Rookie

searched App store and could not find it. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Lidzau

ssprry - got it pse ignore previous
dazzy2
Level 3: Gumshoe

Do you know if there is a timeline for support for the app with the Telstra Gateway Max TG799?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dazzy2, 

If  your TG799 is programmed with the VoIP settings, and your handset needs to be connected to the green voice port to work, then you should be able to use this app as it connects to your T-Gateway over Wi-Fi, and connects to the underlying fixed voice service on the NBN (VoIP settings) allowing you to make and receive calls as if it were any other telephone handset.

- Ben

dazzy2
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ben

All I get is T-Voice will operate on this gateway in the coming months.
NikToni

I have the app installed and I can make calls to any number and if I call one of my other phones with the app installed they work fine BUT I cannot receive external calls on the app. The house phone rings and the app sees the call on the gateway log but none of the apps actually offer the ability to answer. Any clues? Cheers.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi NikToni,
please note that T-Voice is currently only compatible with tablets. Some functionality may work on some phones. If you are using phones at the moment and not tablets, that would explain why some of the functions such as incoming calls is not working.
-Ern

Level 20: Director

Hi Ben, you seem to be up to speed on all this. I have a T-Hub that no longer works, so an update is needed.

I currently have a Netgear Cable Home Network Gateway CG3100D, which is not compatible with either Telstra Air or

T-Voice

Is the T-Gateway Cable Max (C6300) compatible with T-Voice? Or is T-Voice unlikely to ever be available on Cable?

This way I could possibly have Telstra Air and T-Voice. Are there any other options?

You advice appreciated.

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Palpatine, 

The T-Voice app is currently only available for NBN connections (which use Next Generation Calling (NGC) technology to deliver phone services) and ADSL.  

It isn’t available to Telstra Cable customers no matter which cable modem they are using.  I don't have any information on whether it will be available on Cable but am confident that if it proves popular Telstra will look at getting it onto the Cable platform as well.

- Ben 

BgeeBG

Re: What is the T-Voice®app?

Hope someone is still watching this string.
T-voice App on iOS 9.3 beta crashes as soon as it opens. Have not seen this behaviour on previous builds. Hope this can be corrected soon.
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the T-Voice®app?

Hey BgeeBG - is this still occurring for you? And have the app and OS been updated to the latest versions? 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now