Highlighted
John109
Level 1: Cadet

iPhone wont register T-Voice app with gateway

We just switched to Telstra NBN. I have installed the T-Gateway Max modem and connected everything up. The home line works fine and I setup one iPhone to use the T-Voice app without issues.

I then changed the default wi-fi names to be personalised. My phone that was already setup with T-Voice works fine when I connect to the new wi-fi names. However every other device I attempt to connect now, after connecting to the changed wi-fi name, refuses to register.

It suggests that a modem update is required to do this and prompts me to send an email requesting an update to the modem. I have send this request and I am still waitng to hear back but I am trying to work out if the issue is that I changed the wi-fi name?

The original iPhone that worked is a 6S running iOS 9.3.4. I have also tried an iPhone 5 with 9.3.4, and a 5SE with 9.3.4 and they all get the same message that the modem requires an update.

My gateway is a Technicolor TG799vac running Firmware version:  15.53.6886-510-RF and Software version: 15.3

Thanks

John

PS The wording of the message is:

"Your Telatra gateway needs to be upgraded to the latest software. An email will be sent to Telstra T-Voice Support on your behalf to request the update. You will be notified with 3 business days of the upgrade being applied."

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Support Team
Support Team

Re: iPhone wont register T-Voice app with gateway

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us via CrowdSupport.

Unsure if you have already tried, however, have you checked out the following page for further troubleshooting steps;

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/user-guides/List-of-compatible-devices

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

John109

Hi Renee,

Except for the 5SE not being listed in the compatible devices, which is strange since my understanding is it is the same chip as the 6S, I still have the issue with an iPhone 5 which is listed in compatible devices.

Unfortunately that page contains no information on trouble shooting the T-Voice app on a smart phone only for a 502 handset.

Even that makes no mention of the wi-fi network names being the issue.

Following the "Set up Telstra  T-Voice" section I get to step 2 "Follow the install wizard steps" and it fails at that point with the message I mentioned.

I never see the "Agree and Continue" section.

Strangly when looking at the Gateway web page under Telephony and Phonebook I can see each of the devices I have attempted to register listed with an assigned number. The advanced page under Telephony lists 1 registered device and 3 unregistered.

Thanks

John

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi John, 

I have attempted to replicate the issue you are getting without success on multiple mobile phones.

We are using the same firmware 15.53.6886-510-RF with the hardware version VANT-F. The test modem has a customised wifi key as well.

I would suggest checking the permissions making sure everything in enabled under General/T-Voice as well as making sure nothing is enabled under Settings / General / Restrictions.

If those are enabled, the next step would be reinstalling the app on the phone. If still failing at the same point try defaulting the modem to see if the apps recognise the default WiFi connection. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

John109

Hi Alistair,

Okay so I tried checking the settings on the iPhone and had no restrictions enabled. The T-Voice apps settings were all enabled. 

Still the same error. 

Then I tried uninstalling and re-installing the app - still the same message.

I tried changing the wi-fi name to at least have the word Telstra in it and still no change.

Finally today I did a factory reset on the modem so it was back to default settings, connected to the default wi-fi and now even the phone that was previously working now also gets the message!

I also tried completely powering off the phone and also no change.

I have confirmed that the home phone works after the reset too in case that was likely to have an effect.

So unfortunately now I am worse off than what I was before. Which was what I was afraid would happen.

Also I couldn't seem to find anywhere to save the settings as I had them before I reset the modem. This seems to be a severe failing as every other modem I have owned always allowed me to backup its settings!

So I dont know where to go from here. As I said I sent off the email that it prompted me to ask for a software update to the modem. Is there a later version of software than what I have?

Also to be clear the wi-fi, on both default names and changed names was connected fine and allowed me to surf the net on the phones.

Thanks

John

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi John,

Can you confirm how you performed the factory default of the modem? Did you hold the reset button in for 10 seconds, or did you choose the option via the modems interface?

If you have tried it via the modem interface, I would recommend contacting Tech Support on 1800 834 273 to see if a replacement modem can be organised.

- Shelly

John110

Hi Shelly,

For some reason crowd support made me create a new screen name???

I did the reset via the modem interface so I guess I will give tech support a call and see what they can do.

Thanks

John

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more