CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Blowke1
Level 2: Rookie

Activation plugin not downloaded: -4 error

Answered

I have been tring to set up my Telstra TV following the instructions - all goes well until it tries to start the activiation process. The error is 'Problem connecting to network activation plugin not downlaoded'. I have tried the factory reset option, connecting with the ethernet option and the Wi-Fi option but the error still persists.

I have another Ruko (3) and a T-Box which accesses the Wi-Fi without any issues at all and the signal strength is excellent.

Any ideas on what to do next would be great.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Blowke1
Accepted Solution

Re: Activation plugin not downloaded: -4 error

Sorted - well sort of. Spoke to support and a new unit is on its way. Just hope this one works!

View solution in original post

Grejx
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Hi all. This is the fix:

1.Disconnect everything except the power cord from the telstra tv box

2.Press and hold the reset button the back for 20 seconds. Use a pin or similar to do this

3.Take power out

4. Reconnect everything, including hdmi cord, ethernet (if doing a wired connection)

5. Go through steps again. You'll know if the box reset itself if your password is no longer saved. If it still saved, reset again

6. Only put your timezone in once. Dont do it again when a timezone option appears a few steps later, just wait for it to move to next step

Should work after this. Key point is the 20 second reset. I needed to do this twice, as my password was still saved. Good luck!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Level 23: Superhero

Ok, Blowke, from what I've been able to gather from several quarters is, that you may need to try resetting several times, and to ensure that you do it on an ethernet connection. This is how others have solved the problem.

Jeff

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

I'd also recommend the following link to you, which has a wealth of information regarding setting up and using the Telstra TV device: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/telstra-tv/activate-my-telstra-tv

Jeff

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Blowke1

Thanks for the info DEANJA appreciate your efforts. Tried it quite a few times using ethernet only but still no joy. Will give it a go later to see if it will work.. Bloody frustrating to say the least - in comparison the old T-Box was a breeze to set up!

Hi Blow, that's not good.

I've sent an SOS out to one of my mates to take a look here, he has the unit and is very cluey on this and like devices.

I agree with you on the T-Box too, still got ours here working like a trooper, very handy unit.

Jeff

Blowke1
Accepted Solution

Sorted - well sort of. Spoke to support and a new unit is on its way. Just hope this one works!

Fair enough, probably the best outcome. Mate I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

I have to admit, I haven't seen many complaints about the units here or on other tech forums, but sometimes with all devices there's one in a pile that's just not right.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you go.

Signature.gif

Level 22: Superhuman

Hey @Blowke1,

Let us know if the new unit displays the same behaviour.

If it does, then we have to look deeper, but it's a bit wierd that neither the Ethernet nor the WiFi seem to work for you. It is possible you got a bad box.

I have two of them, and they both work

BTW, I agree, I prefer the T-Box, and I'm likely to get myself a "real" Roku device so I can use a few more of the apps.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Joshzors
Level 1: Cadet

I had the same problem setting my new one up this morning. After a few tries I thought about what was different in my network, from Telstra's ideal customer. 

I switched my DNS from using Google's DNS to using Bigpond's DNS and it activated. Just incase anyone else has a drama with it Smiley Happy

Grejx

I have the same issue....wifi and ethernet will not work. Will try DNS settings, seems weird we need to do this?
JimboJones_2108

Same here - wifi and ethernet will not work (although the box does its three step check and then moves on to a 'software update' and then says the internet has dropped out). Weird because all other devices are still working except for the telstra TV. i'll try and call support but as i am at work today, there's not much i can do from here.

I also tried to reset the machine using the hidden switch under the power cable but it didn't help at all. 

aze

You can add me to the list. Eveything was proceeding well, even got the confirmation email from Telstra before 'Activation Plugin Not Downloaded' appears. Telstra not having a good run.

NickA1960

Add me to the list. Received confirmation email etal.... Still no good..... Guess why it's "free".

stevenheremaia

Reset and start again.

Once you go through the set up, on the second time zone dont push anything. Everything will get downloaded after that and your good to go.

Hope it works for you. Just did mine.

Grejx

Every time i reset, it still skips all of the previous steps i did before and takes me to the "connect to the Internet" screen.....where you chose wifi or ethernet...
Grejx
Accepted Solution

Hi all. This is the fix:

1.Disconnect everything except the power cord from the telstra tv box

2.Press and hold the reset button the back for 20 seconds. Use a pin or similar to do this

3.Take power out

4. Reconnect everything, including hdmi cord, ethernet (if doing a wired connection)

5. Go through steps again. You'll know if the box reset itself if your password is no longer saved. If it still saved, reset again

6. Only put your timezone in once. Dont do it again when a timezone option appears a few steps later, just wait for it to move to next step

Should work after this. Key point is the 20 second reset. I needed to do this twice, as my password was still saved. Good luck!

EES

THIS FIX WORKED FOR ME - FOLLOWED THE STEPS EXACTLY AND CAN NOW ENJOY TELSTRA TV. THANKS GREJX
Jillianmary

It worked just as you suggested. thank you 

shinky

Thank you as your advise worked.  

JEM6

Thank you for the solution! 

Andrew136

Doesn't work. Not surprised. Nothing telstra has ever sent me works without hours of tech support. Just plain ordinary.......

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now