• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Closed captions on telstra tv on sbs on demand and iview

Hi JanetL,

From what I can see the iView app definitely should have close captions available on Telstra TV:

http://iview.abc.net.au/support/cc

and SBS on Demand doesn't specify the Telstra TV app as supporting closed captions, but it does provide these directions on how to enable them in their normal app:

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/faqs

"To enable closed captions, please wait for the video's opening advertisement to finish, then tap on the video player to access the controls and tap the 'CC' icon."

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How can I turn on closed captions when watching catch up TV on the television

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ceeshay,

Which app are you wanting to use on the Telstra TV with closed captions?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

SBS on demand

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for your reply,

Can I ask if this has worked in the past?

Or is this the first time you have been attempting to access this feature?

- Stef

Highlighted

Thanks, thedylan, but that does not work. You get a panel saying CC not available.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I just tested the Telstra TV on our test bench and enabled captions within Settings from the main menu and went to iView and captions were displayed when watching Dr Who. However, none of the shows that I checked on SBS had captions available. Looking at SBS FAQ about closed captions they advise the following, so it looks like this is something that SBS will be addressing.

Closed captions are currently available on the website, iOS and Android apps, and some Connected TV apps. We are looking at implementing closed captions across all SBS On Demand Connected TV apps as they are updated. For Fetch TV, we are working to have closed caption available in early 2018.

Reference: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/faqs/article/4020

- Shelly

Highlighted

Hi Shelley,

So I hear, too. However, the 'new' Telstra TV Box, selling at $192, does not do the trick, according to sources in Telstra and SBS On Demand. They get away with it, and will continue to do so, until the competition sees their weaknesses and knocks them over. Of course, the competition is no competition at the moment, and the consumers are a soft touch too.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

@quixo you need to contact SBS as they are the ones who need to include the functionality from their side. The only way to highlight the issue is to contact them directly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks, Jupiter,

I have been in contact with SBS O/D. They acknowledge the limitation and say they are working on it. However, I cannot get them to say which set top box will produce the goods. What they do is give you a list of products compatible with SBS O/D, and what do you know? -- the Telstra box is included. So their response is not all that helpful.

Highlighted

Did they say TBox or Telstra TV? They are separate products and run different versions of the app.
So the TBox might have been compatible with Closed Captions, but SBS haven't caught up with the newer product (that has been out for about 2 years now - Telstra TV and Telstra TV2 use the same app).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more