CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Envy56
Level 1: Cadet

How do I watch AFL live on Telstra TV

Answered

I have set up my Telstra TV and added the AFL app but can't watch the game. Is there something else I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I watch AFL live on Telstra TV

The rights agreements for the mobile passes prevent any usage on larger screen, both the afl and the nrl have negotiated these so larger screens are provided through the TV rights holder. To watch every game live on a TV you’d need to look at Foxtel or its online streaming service Foxtel Now.

As it is restricted by the broadcast rights agreements it is very unlikely to change until at least the end of the current agreement.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Hydergirl

I think you have to sign up to the AFL package (it may be through Foxtel) - it's $10 per month. I'll be trying to find it soon! Go Dees!

Indeed it would have to be through Foxtel for viewing on a TV. Foxtel have the TV rights agreements. You can do it on the Telstra TV through Foxtel Now - http://foxtelnow.com.au
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Barbequeman

I too have the same problem, yet I'm a Telstra mobile broadband customer with a Telstra TV as part of the bundle, and I'm promised a free subscription to watch games live, and I'm not able to do it on my Telstra mobile (preferred) either because I understand a ZTE T84 is not supported.

So I have 2 Telstra services and all I get is empty promises from Telstra!!!!!
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Barbequeman

Sorry you're not able to watch this on your mobile at the moment. We have heard the feedback about the Telstra Tough Max and we are looking into this further to see if this can be supported.

For the time being you would need to use a supported device to be able to access your live pass.

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Louise07

Hello,
So I am a telstra customer and have my phone and internet connections with Telstra. I also have a Telstra TV. If I can stream AFL games on my phone why am I not able to stream them on the tv?
It is difficult when my partner and I both want to watch the game and I still want to utilise my phone?
I already pay a lot a month for my services so am not keen on spending more money a month on a service for my TV which I can get on my phone?
Accepted Solution

The rights agreements for the mobile passes prevent any usage on larger screen, both the afl and the nrl have negotiated these so larger screens are provided through the TV rights holder. To watch every game live on a TV you’d need to look at Foxtel or its online streaming service Foxtel Now.

As it is restricted by the broadcast rights agreements it is very unlikely to change until at least the end of the current agreement.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

Andybjk

tootyrty

It is also seriously disappointing that games cannot even be seen full screen on an iPad. When the service first started a couple of years ago this was possible. Why was it changed?????

It changed when the mobile rights agreements changed and added in the restriction.
Helpful Links

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @tootyrty

Thank you for your enquiry. 

As @DrQ stated, this is part of our digital rights agreement with the AFL as per the terms:

Telstra’s agreement with the AFL restricts the display of live match videos to a 7 inch screen size.

Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size 12 hours after the match conclusion.

Live match videos are only available to users watching in Australia and New Zealand.

Screen size restrictions apply for live match videos as vision produced by the broadcasters is currently filmed in 16:9 ratio. This may appear full screen on your device, provided it is 7 inches or less, or may cause black borders at the top and bottom of your screen.

Live matches via the AFL Live Pass are only available via the Official AFL app.
You can watch match replays on your computer if you purchased a pass via https://id.afl.com.au/livepass  

My apologies for any inconvenience. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Nicgul1

I understand this regarding the rights etc. What doesn't make sense is that my friend who has a Samsung phone and TV can mirror live games onto her TV but people with Apple cannot. Have you just locked out Apple users from mirroring live games and can't work out how to lock out Samsung users yet?
Myszka

Same here. Doesn’t work on Tv. But IPad or IPhone are fine.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

On Samsung you can mirror replays, but not Live Games.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Linda64

Can l stream it though my laptop to the tv using a wireless toggle?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Linda64. No that won't be an option, sorry. The app is just for mobile use - Matthew.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now