Vagabond
Level 2: Rookie

Overnight, Telstra TV has no sound.

MNothing altered re set-up, connections, etc with Telstra TV since last watching show via FoxtelNow. Today, no sound. Despite phone calls with 3 different tech support staff today, and activating brand new replacement unit (received last Oct to fix different problem that resolved itself), still no audio when trying to watch anything at all using Telstra TV. Switch back to LG TV and perfect audio as per usual. Back to Telstra TV: silence! HELP!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Overnight, Telstra TV has no sound.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

@Jupiter wrote:
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

@Vagabond Maybe also try using a different HDMI port. Sounds to me (Excuse the pun) that it's a TV issue.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Vagabond

Thanks for responding to my plea for help. Yes, tried old and new HDMI cable in every available port. (5 in total. No joy. Have also been in touch with LG tech help to get their input on TV sound settings, though what they’ve been set on ever since getting Telstra TV set top box worked fine - until today. We experimented but lost sound on TV without gaining it on Telstra TV. So back to original settings. Did a factory reset of TV and also of new Telstra TV box. No joy. Back to drawing board, and hair pulling out! Next ideas?
Vagabond

And another thing, or ten: first, how come I’m not only owner of Telstra TV units with ‘loss of sound’ issue. Also LG tech did wonder why only sound vanished but image was still perfect. He said if fault in TV HDMI ports picture would also be affected; ditto if cable. Keep in mind I tried all 5 ports and have two Telstra TV set top boxes, one brand new and only taken out of box together with new cable and power cord to replace original unit when quit transmitting sound today. One Telstra tech suggested it might be a software incompatibility, but LG tech checked that out and said my TV set upgraded to latest with factory reset. Next idea?
Level 23: Superhero

Have you tried changing the audio settings on the Telstra TV from auto detect to one of the other settings? If you have tried two different Telstra TVs and still have the same problem it sounds like a problem with LG TV which might have had a firmware update overnight.

Vagabond

Thanks for suggestion, cf4. Yes, the LG technician stepped me through all possible alternate settings. He also confirmed no recent LG firmware update causing the problems. Unfortunately I only have one television so cannot test Telstra TV unit on another TV. If no one can suggest a fix then I shall have to do 100+ round trip to nearest Telstra store (where I got the first Telstra TV unit) for them to test both old and new units on their in-store TV. Ho hum. Not happy🙁. 

Do other HDMI devices connected to LG TV have sound?

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more