CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MJOstler
Level 1: Cadet

Roku media player

ever since the Roku media player was updated I have been unable to play any video or other media types from my networked system. I have had to revert to using my xbox one and VLC player to be able to play media that I was previously able to play on the roku media player. Has anyone else had the same  issue and if so was it resolved?????

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Roku media player

Can you provide some information about the setup? 

- How is the HDD formatted? 

- What is the size of the HDD? 

- What are the types of file formats that you are trying to play?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

LittleBit79
Level 1: Cadet

Yep I have been unable to connect to my Telstra TV using the screen mirroring feature.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LittleBit79.

Can you check that Screen Mirroring is enabled on your Telstra TV?  To do this:

1. Press the Home button home on your Telstra TV remote.
  2. Select Settings and then select System.
  3. Select Screen mirroring.
  4. After you access the screen mirroring settings, select Enable screen mirroring.

Can you also make sure that, both your Telstra TV and your mobile device is connected to the same wireless network?  

The new Telstra modems transmit a wireless signal on two different bands, a 5GHz signal and a 2.4GHz signal, they use the same broadcast name with the exception that '-5G' is placed at the end of the name. (as per image below).

Please also be aware that the screen mirroring function is provided 'as-is'. This feature is in 'Beta' and only recommended for use with Android and Microsoft devices (not recommended for Apple) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Murray-Shepherd
Level 2: Rookie

To whom it may concern, 

I'm having the same problem as MJOstler. Ever since the Update I haven't been able to access my Media server HDD attached to the USB port at back of the Modem using the Telstra TV Roku media player, and I haven't been able to access my desktop media files either. Yet I'm able to accessing these media servers from my tablet. Shy of sending the next Firmware update complete with corrections, or a way to roll back the firmware. This may not be an easy fix. I also plugged the USB HDD directly into the Telstra TV..The Roku media player could read the file structure but doesn't recognise any of the media files are present. 

Please help. 

Yours truly 

Murray 😀 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Murray, 

Are you able to let us know which make and model modem your using, and the types of file formats that you are trying to play/access.

Murray-Shepherd

Hi Kenobi,

Sorry I haven't checked for your reply until now. 

To answer your question. video files are mp4, music MP3. I used a USB stick today with a mp4 file attached and I was able to watch and therefore test the media player's function. Prior to the update I was able access the USB HDD media Server which makes use of the two USB ports located at the rear of the modem to share it's content. FYI the HDD formatted as ext3 and used to display as the Unix penguin. And when I had my PC on, the Telstra tv Roku media player app would also show Windows Media Server. Now it shows neither. But it does show a Telstra Gateway icon containing 5 empty folders. There should be heaps of folders and files. I can access all files and folders from both servers  from my tablet and mobile. Just not the Roku. I've done a Factory reset hoping that the previous firmware version will provide a solution but it's clear that the latest firmware is applied.

I'm hoping you'll be able to return the network function of the  Roku media player.

Yours truly, 

Murray Shepherd 

Murray-Shepherd

PS..The other information you needed Kenobi, The Modem details I've added as a screenshot of the Gateway's Global information page.

Gateway_details.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks Murray, 

You mentioned factory resetting the Telstra TV, did you do the same with you modem?  If so you may need to re-enable File Server and DLNA in the Content Sharing page, on your modem.

Murray-Shepherd

Hi Kenobi, 

I did reset my modem. What started as a lose of internet access via NBN. I logged a call with Telstra. While I was waiting I started to use the WiFi dongle. Somehow I asked the modem to use the Bridge mode. My bad. I had to reset the modem. At some point the modem firmware was undated. When everything settled down. I was able to access the USB HDD media Server from my pc and my tablet. It was when the Telstra TV was updated I lost the ability to populate the folders and and files with in the Roku media player.

Please see the screen shot below for the Content Sharing settings. 

Yours truly, 

Murray  Screenshot_20171114-202118.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for clarifying that Murray,  that does look like an issue with the Telstra TV, then. I'll pass on your feedback to the Telstra TV team.

Murray-Shepherd

Thanks for your reply  Kenobi, 

Will the Telstra TV team and I be able converse through Crowdsupport or through some other means? 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Murray,

You can also speak directly with our Telstra TV support team over the phone by calling 13 22 00 and say "Telstra TV"

Please let us know if you need any further help.

- Stef

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now