Highlighted
ozwanderer
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV 2 won't screen mirror reliably

I have just switched from TTV1 to TTV2. Every is fine except for screen mirroring from my laptop. It worked fine on the TTV1 every time, but the TTV2 mostly fails to connect, even to respond to the request. It has connected randomly once or twice, but failed 25+ times. The settings seem to be correct (same as TTV1) Done all the powering off and on etc. Any ideas??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Re: Telstra TV 2 won't screen mirror reliably

Hi ozwanderer,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I recommend performing a factory reset. If that doesn't help, please speak with our Telstra TV team who will be able to troubleshoot further with you. They can be reached on 132200 and say 'Telstra TV Faults'. If your device is faulty, they'll be able to assist arranging a new one for you. 

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Wizard2
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

For the sake of troubleshooting, have you tried connecting both to a mobile hotspot and trying that way to eliminate the potential that the modem is at fault?

Alternatively, if the modem is close enough to the Telstra TV, try connecting the Telstra TV via ethernet. This will allow the wifi to be a one way connection. Hopefully that can help diagnose where the issue could be.

Let us know how you go.
The internet is a wonderful place.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.
ozwanderer

The connection did in fact work using my phone as a mobile hotspot, 3 or 4 times consecutively. So now I suppose we investigate the modem, firstly by rebooting?

Support Team
Support Team

That would be a good starting point to reset the connection to the network - if this still doesn't work for you then our Telstra TV support teams are available 24x7 via 1800 087 688 to investigate and assist.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Wizard2

Yes, rebooting can help otherwise a factory reset may be required. This is an odd issue to say the least.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.
ozwanderer

OK I've done a factory reset on the TTV2, rebooted the modem and the laptop, got everything back on the same wifi, and the screen mirroring worked. But, on disconnecting and then trying to reconnect there was just failure. No further connection. Tried the 1800 number for help, that is proving to be hard work.
ozwanderer

I got mixed messages from the help desk. The assistant there hadn't come across screen mirroring and had no experience in it. She wanted to hand me on to tech support but was apparently told that they couldn't help me because screen mirroring is not supported on the TTV2. Of course this raises lots of questions - why have it as a menu item then? How come I have connected 2 or 3 times? Is this a case of technology going backwards?

This is surely not so? An error in communication?

At the moment I have both devices (TTV1 and 2) running and between them they cover my needs. Not an elegant solution though.

Wizard2

When it comes to what Telstras technical team can support, it's not supported. However, aside from that, it appears to be just a feature brought across the from the manufacturer of the device, Roku.

This is a very odd issue in the way something seems to be preventing a clear connection between the 2 devices (or one is just being a pain). The fact it worked via a hotspot says that it could be a networking issue from the modem. Do you have a spare router you can test with for a day or so to be 100% it's the modem. It's going to be hard to convince the tech team it's a fault with the modem if it's successful but it shouldn't be impossible.

ozwanderer

I do have an older gateway modem - I'll try to find some time in the next day or so to do a switch. Thanks for the tip.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Disabling band steering in the modem might improve the reliability of the Miracast connection. On the Telstra Max II, Telstra Frontier and Telstra Smart Gateway remove tick from band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings.. 

ozwanderer

Band steering is already unchecked on my Max II

Have you tried disabling LAN IPv6 in the Modem? (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 State). Once IPv6 is disabled reconnect all devices.

ozwanderer

Just tried it and it worked! More than once. I'll test it a over the next few days to see if it is a stable solution. Thanks a lot!

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now