CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
XMTX
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV - Roku Media Player - Playlists

How do you set up audio/music playlists on the Roku Media Player app on the Telstra TV.  I have successfully connected both a PLEX and Windows Media Server to the app but I have had no success in creating playlists that the app can recognise. I have searched the app and can't find any menu for creating a permanent playlist.   I have created .PLS,  .M3U & WPL files offline and stored them in a music/audio folder without them being recognised by the app.  I have also created a Windows Media Playlist and Plex Playlist on the server without the app picking up any playlists.

Can someone please advise if playlists work at all with the Roku Media Player app as I see there were several bugs reported to Roku towards the end of 2016 regarding playlists?  If you have had success WITH ANYTHING, your advice would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 20: Director

Re: Telstra TV - Roku Media Player - Playlists

I believe there are some discussions re playlists use with the Roku Media Player over at the Roku forums: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=88972 - a place tp start.

Cheers!

XMTX
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra TV - Roku Media Player - Playlists

Thank you for your input.  I had actually read that article before I posted my initial call for help and have tried every permutation they recommended.  Unfortunately, using the PLEX Media Server with ROKU Media Player (RMP), I have not been able to get any form of playlist to work.  It appears that RMP have been having problems since around 2005 and are still having significant issues as of December 2016!  How they can have a media player with such poor playlist functionality beats me.

In the artilce, here (below) is what they say this works - it doesn't for me!

Playlist Creator - relative:

#EXTINF:216, - -
..\Burned Compilations\Bill Douglas\Bill Douglas IV\Earth Prayer\Chalice.wav
#EXTINF:319, - -
..\Burned Compilations\Bill Douglas\Bill Douglas IV\Earth Prayer\Clouds.wav

Windows Media Player - .m3u file type

#EXTINF:0,Chalice.wav
..\Burned Compilations\Bill Douglas\Bill Douglas IV\Earth Prayer\Chalice.wav

#EXTINF:0,Clouds.wav
..\Burned Compilations\Bill Douglas\Bill Douglas IV\Earth Prayer\Clouds.wav

On a brighter note, in my intial posting I think I mentioned that I had tried creating a playlist in Windows Media Player (WMP) and tried to use that with RMP connected to Windows Media Server (WMS).  I was wrong, as I wasn't aware that WMP places its playlists (.wpl) in the "playlists" directory on the Windows Media Server.  (I hadn't looked there - I had looked in My Playlists!  So by converting all my old WDTVLive playlists (.pls) to .wpl and using RMP connected to WMS, I have been able to create workable playlists by placing them in the "playlists" directory on the WMS.  The WPL format can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player_Playlist

It would have been nice to use PLEX Media Server as it has some nice features but if WMS works thats what I'll be using.

Hope this all makes sense to anyone reading it.  Thanks for all your help.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now