CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dove1jus
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV - Roku Media Player - Unable to 'forget' previous DLNA server

Answered

Hi all,

I have been using Telstra TV for over a year now and although I have had some patchy experiences as a whole I have enjoyed using it. I use it mainly for Netflix and connecting to my DLNA Server (Plex).

Earlier this week my PC crashed and to fix it I had to reinstall the OS. In doing so it rendered my original server inoperable (PITA but whatever right). I created a new Plex server on my PC and and tried to connect to it via the Roku Media Player as I had done before. But the Roku Media Player still shows the old server and the new server hasn't appeared... weird but nothing a factory reset wouldn't fix right?

Wrong! It still remembers my old server! As far as I can tell there is no way for me to 'forget' the old server. Needless to say at this point I am perplexed! (See what I did thereSmiley Very Happy)

I know that this is isolated to the Telstra TV/Roku Media Player because I also have a separate smart tv which I can connect to the new Plex server via the Plex app on there.

I am running the latest versions of both applications as well as the latest version of the Telstra TV software.

I searched through forums including crowdsupport and as usual, I am apparently the first person to come across this issue.

So with reluctance I call Telstra  and get through to Tech Support. They are as perplexed (sorry couldn't help it, had to do it againSmiley Tongue) as I am. Their advice was to raise the issue here. I asked them about back channels of communication to Roku to get the Roku Media Player app updated to enable a 'forget' feature, but the guy said here was the best place to get that done.

Anyway enough rambling from the frustrated guy who has spent half a day trying to sort this out.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dove1jus
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV - Roku Media Player - Unable to 'forget' previous DLNA server

I had a quick look but didn't try the workaround for the Plex app/channel.

However, I worked it out...

Turns out that resetting the modem (for the second or third time) removed the old server from Roku Media Player (RMP). At that point RMP still did not recognise the new server.

This identified that it must have been something to do with the settings on the server. After reading what each individual advanced setting does (and there is A LOT of them!) I found one that I thought would work - "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth"

Once I put in the IP address for my TTV it worked a charm.

So I guess at the end of the day it came down to PEBCAK - was just a series of anomalies which hid that fact.

Thanks for the response though @Wanglese,much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman

Hey @dove1jus

That's wierd.

Have you tried side loading Plex on the TTV?

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-TV/HowTo-Plex-for-TelstraTV/m-p/519486#M28

I replaced my media PC a year or so ago, and it picked up the new server right away.

BTW, Plex on the TTV is great.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

dove1jus
Accepted Solution

I had a quick look but didn't try the workaround for the Plex app/channel.

However, I worked it out...

Turns out that resetting the modem (for the second or third time) removed the old server from Roku Media Player (RMP). At that point RMP still did not recognise the new server.

This identified that it must have been something to do with the settings on the server. After reading what each individual advanced setting does (and there is A LOT of them!) I found one that I thought would work - "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth"

Once I put in the IP address for my TTV it worked a charm.

So I guess at the end of the day it came down to PEBCAK - was just a series of anomalies which hid that fact.

Thanks for the response though @Wanglese,much appreciated.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now