Frustrated681
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV WiFi issues after Modem Upgrade

Have used a Telstra TV Model 4200TL for 3 years on a Telstra Gateway Max Modem via WiFi without a issue.

Have today changed to a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. All my WiFi Devices are working on new setup.

Except Telstra TV: (It works via Ethernet but not a viable long term solution) WiFi setup and test works but all apps now Time Out. Have tried Factory Reset (Issue Still Present). Added MAC Address to Modem Whitelist. Tried a few other WiFi channels (Not all will keep trying). Changed channel width. Telstra TV Unit is 7ft away from modem a brick wall is in between but has not caused a issue with old modem (I find it hard to believe that a newer modem would have less penetration - But I will test that out later tonight when it is not being used)  All other WiFi devices work in that location. Has anybody had same issue or suggest something I have not tried. Damn frustrating

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra TV WiFi issues after Modem Upgrade

Suggest you disable Band steering in the modem this will result in the 2.4 GHz band having a different SSID to the 5 GHz band. To disable band steering remove tick next to band steering in the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi settings.

Frustrated681

Good idea but this hasn't worked either.

I'll still do more testing like moving Telstra TV to the room I have Modem in just to see if it is a wall issue. But that doesn't resolve problem just lets me know it is the problem.

But i'm thinking i'll end up having to install a wall socket for Ethernet but I really don't want to run cable or loose a ethernet port on modem. At least I have all the tools to do so.

Thanks for you input

The Telstra TV broadcast it's own WiFi signal on the same channel that it uses to connect to the modem. This is due to the miscast function of the Telstra TV that allows other device to connect to it and screen cast. You could try disabling this function by going to advanced setting and disabling the connection of devices.
If this doesn't work and other devices can use WiFi in same area could use a WiFi range extender such as the TP-LINK TL-WA850RE which has a LAN port you can connect to TV.
There are a lot of people with similar WiFi problems with the Gen 2 modem so there will probably be a firmware update to fix the problem
Frustrated681

Disabling did not work either.

I might just wait to see if a firmware update fixes it. Do you know if this is pushed automatically to Modem or if I need to keep my eye on a site for a potential update. I have made a note of current Firmware Version.

Thanks 

The firmware gets automatically pushed to modems usually between 12 midnight and 6.00 am.

Frustrated681

Thanks for info.

I have moved Telstra TV 10cm from modem this morning and it still won't work on WiFi. So wall isn't issue the unit just won't work on this new modem. Telstra obviously has not done any testing before rolling out a new modem product. So basically been waisting time trying. I'll contact Telstra soon see if they will give me the new model Telstra TV.

Amature Hour
Frustrated681

Interesting Sub-note

I just decided to connect my old Xbox 360 to new Wifi. It saw network but failed connection test. Checked the back of modem a pressed the "Pair" Button. Now Xbox 360 is passing tests and working on Wifi.

Unfortunately Telstra TV still isn't. I tried a few times Pairing and did get Foxtel now to connect once but as soon as I changed channel it just timed out again. I thought I may have worked out the issue with the Pairing but no.

No documentation for this modem also makes it very frustrating.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Frustrated681

Sorry to read about your ongoing Telstra TV connection issues.

Were you able to get some assistance over the phone in the end?

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Frustrated681

No I havn't called yet.
But I am sure there is basically nothing your helpdesk can get me to do that will work unless maybe I'm supplied with a newer version of the Telstra TV. I've worked 30 years in I.T and am sure I have exhausted all my options. I will only get upset as I will be asked to do things I have already tried. I have called Telstra a few times recently for varying matters and most of the time it just frustrates me.
I have another call to make to Telstra for a different matter and I want to get that sorted first. Meanwhile I have the unit connected via ethernet. As stated above not my preferred option but at least it is working.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Frustrated681

Please keep us posted on how you go, it's quite a strange issue that all devices will conencted to the WiFi ok but not the Telstra TV. Appreciate that connecting via Ethenet is not the ideal set up. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more