Tom231
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra TV and Kayo - audio and video out of synch

I have an issue with Kayo sports through my T Box (first gen not the new one).

Within a few minutes of starting a stream, the audio is ahead of the video. Makes it unwatchable as you'll hear the commentators etc talking about something that hasn't happened yet. If I stream Kayo on my pc there is no such issue. I have plenty of bandwidth evidenced by it working on the PC and Netflix and others stream fine without this synch issue on the T Box.

Any suggestions? If I cant solve it I wont subscribe.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
59 REPLIES 59
Pete85
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra TV and Kayo - audio and video out of synch

Hi Tom,

Just bumping this thread, as I have the exact same issue.  I have the older model telstra tv, no problems streaming anything else, but the audio and the visual become out of sync very quickly and gets worse.  

I will also unsubscribe if I can't get it to work, and yes, I have reset the modem, reinstalled the app, tried holding my tongue in various positions, doesn't work.

Cheers

Pete

Amog

I have exactly the same problem. It annoys me too and probably will unsubscribe if there is no solution. Do others have the same problem?

Amog

try pausing and rewind for a bit, play again and its back in sync. good luck
AB561

Same problem. Very frustrating and will drop it if they can't fix it. Love the range of sports and features but unwatchable with the audio/picture mismatch on Telstra TV. All good on other devices.
George121

I also am unimpressed with Kayo on my Telstra tv. Everything else works fine but the out of sync and dropping out is unacceptable. I have nbn to the premises and the 50 speed. As an old white dude who worked all his career with computers, releasing an app which does not work properly is not on.
Hornet21

Same issue here with audio and video out of sync will cancel my free trial if not fixed
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about this issue, I can understand your frustration.

I recommend speaking to the Kayo technical support team regarding this one, you can find them here.

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

George121

Spoke to the kayo technical support people who are aware of the problem and are working on fixes for the Telstra tv kayo app.

Tom231

Cool good to hear. Thanks George.

Tom231

If it doesn't resolve pretty soon I'm cancelling. And then I won't go back as I'm not risking wasted money. Be nice for an official word and for Telstra to do something too since it's their box and service we're going through.

retro_sizzle

I cancelled due to the problem - what I want to know is, will the 14 day free trial be re-set once technical issues are ironed out.
Clearly with the video and audio out of sync I am unable to test this product effectively as is.
Caztorana

Just started the trial too and pretty disappointed with quality. Only watch it on Telstra TV so It would be nice to have a longer trial period once the bugs are ironed out. Great selection of sports.
Tom231

I received a message today saying they'd updated it and resolved issues.

However.... the audio still goes out of synch and is ahead of the video.

Today is my last trial day before billing so I am cancelling. Can't pay money for something that doesn't work like this. And unless there's another free trial or something I won't come back as I won't pay $25 to find out it's likely still not fixed in the future.

beau73
Level 2: Rookie

Just started the 14 day trial on Friday and have the same issues with voice and picture out of sync on Telstra TV box. Did not have the same problem with ESPN on Foxtel Now app on Telstra TV. Kayo App was a bit laggy and buffering on my work PC watching NFL, but no such issues with ESPN on Foxtel Now on same PC. Hope it gets sorted, as it has great range of sports.
ChrisJD

Annoyed.. same issues will also cancel
puntroad2

Kayo claims its fixed - no. Kayo claims its Telstra, Telstra claims its Kayo. I'm paying $25 a month for a dud.

Considering going to Consumer Affairs on this.

Time both parties got together and fixed this. What is Telstra doing??

Level 25: The Singularity

It is a Kayo problem and they need to sort it out. The Telstra TV is a Roku box with a Telstra skin over the operating system (it is still Roku firmware running the box).

Kayo need to figure out why their app (and nobody else's, including Foxtel - who own and operate Kayo) isn't working on the hardware.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rockyroad3403

I have an older Telstra TV.  Yes my vision and audio are not in sync on Kayo Sports. During the cricket, the separation of audio / vision is at least 7 seconds, maybe more. May i add that gap changes all the time. This problem appears to be with Kayo Sports only.

Swantastic

I have the same issues.

Pity because it is such a great range of sports, but virtually unwatchable with the audio lag.

Jacanamarn

Completely unwatchable.....audio approx 10-15 seconds ahead of of vision. Unacceptable delay which ruins the service. Whether it be a  Kayo or Telstra tv issue is irrelevant - JUST FIX IT.

The correct place to contact Kayo support is https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/contactsupport

Unless you lodge the fault there, nothing can be done about it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Looq

I'm having the same issue with the audio being ahead of the video, on a Telstra TV box 1. I've noticed that when first starting a stream, the audio is in sync. The quality of the picture is degraded (similar to other streaming services when you first start them). The audio sync issue starts immediately after the picture quality improves. It seems like the video starts to run at a slower speed once the quality increases.
Tom231

That is exactly what happened with mine. My trial finished though and I cancelled the service. Can't pay for something that doesn't work.
HoopsFan

Is completely unwatchable. Will have to unsubscribe if not fixed in next week.
dmac2612

I have the same problem as everyone else.
Just plugged my Telstra TV in to watch the Boxing Day test.
Setup with latest patches.
Downloaded KAYO subscription. Even cricket Australia recommends this app.
TV has the latest patches, factory reset the Telstra TV and patched again.
Problem is exactly described as Looq.
Video is lower res and in sync
Then resolution goes up and sync progressively gets worse after 5-10 seconds.
I have even switched the Telstra TV resolution down to 720. No change.
Tried the MOTO GP and F1 channels which are all replays. Same problem.
Bandwidth is fine as I have NBN and can stream Apple TV and Sony TV Android apps ok too.
Logged a fault with KAYO as well.
Tom231

Good work. I have a fault lodged on this too. Experience it the same and whether live or replay no difference. Hopefully they can sort it.

Tvincanberra

January 4, delay evident in broadcast of video for Sydney test. You hear the ‘appeal’ before the ball is bowled. Same experience for Melbourne test, and for replay of 2014 NRL GF. Will cancel soon if sound issue is not resolved.
Jacanamarn

I'll share the response I received from Kayo re the sync issues after loghing the tech issue late December -

Update on your Kayo Support Enquiry
Hi there,
We thank you for your patience as we work to resolve the issue when watching Kayo on Telstra TV 1. Our technicians have been working closely with our partner to fix the problem. This is a priority for us and we are hoping to resolve the issue early in the new year. 
We will send you an update as soon as it is fixed.
Until then, here are some of the other ways you can enjoy Kayo:
TV
Apple TV tvOS11+, Apple 4th Generation or higher Chromecast, Ultra and 3rd Generation
If you have a HDMI cable, you can connect to your TV from a compatible web browser
Browser
MacOS 10.12+: latest versions of Chrome, Safari and FirefoxWindows 10: latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge
On our Apps 
iOS 11+, on iPhone and iPadAndroid 6+, on mobile and tablet
Craig74

Got the same message, I can connect up and watch through my laptop that sends to the TV and prefect. I think it is the Telstra tv box issue
Jonnoh

It works on everything except the Telstra TBox.

Problem sounds more like a TBox issue.

TBox doesn't exist any more. I think you mean Telstra TV.
It is a problem with the Kayo app for the Telstra TV. Kayo (Foxtel) are the only ones who can fix it (with assistance from the Telstra TV team) as it is their app.

ATM2

I have exactly the same problem on both telstra tv and the android app. I have to keep scrolling forward but after a few seconds its back out of sync.

ATM2

According to the posts this has been a problem for a long time with no resolution. I used to use Foxtel Now on the Telstra TV with no problem at all. Because both Kayo and Foxtel Now are both under Foxtel, surely the Kayo developers can talk with the Foxtel Now developers to see what they did wrong. It can't be that hard!!!

Stan54

Joined a week ago and found the same problem watching BBL on TelstraTV but fine on Windows10/Chrome. Contacted Kayo and after a few checks and re-boots no difference and they then responded they were working on the problem.

Yesterday I started to watch the Aus-India ODI via TelstraTV thinking I would have to do the "catch-up" every over and guess what- not a problem with the sync. Will wait and see with today's BBL

Fossil89

Currently watching the big bash and the audio sync issue seems to be fixed.
HW
Freoguitar

Mine is working well too now. Fingers crossed.

I've just found out I'm getting an extra Telstra TV 2 in my bundle.

Does anybody know if similar issues have plagued this device also?
ATM2

Watching the A League today on the Telstra TV. I am still having the sync problem. The longer I watch, the more out of sync it gets. If Telstra has a fix, it hasn't reached my unit yet. Very frustrating.

ATM2

Watching the A League today on the Telstra TV. I am still having the sync problem. The longer I watch, the more out of sync it gets. If Telstra has a fix, it hasn't reached my unit yet. Very frustrating.
ATM2

I was contacted by Kayo today. Apparently they fixed the problem yesterday. I reloaded the app and that seems to have worked. Most frustrating thing was having to login again using the app login editor. Very slow.

Freoguitar

Glad it is finally sorted!
Tom231

Nice to hear it appears to be working for some.

I'm afraid I won't try it again until I hear back from the fault I lodged and all the detail provided. Even then I would want another free trial offered first. Not stumping up any cash until I know it works.

Freoguitar

I got this today.

We understand that your recent Kayo experience with Telstra TV has been interrupted, this shouldn’t have happened. 

We have been working closely with our Partners, who have now fixed the issue with the audio-syncing of live streams. 

The update has happened automatically, however if you’re still experiencing issues with live events, please ensure your app has been updated via your app settings. 

Thanks for your patience. We hope you continue to enjoy Kayo. 

Thanks, 
Your Kayo Support Crew

beau73

Agreed. I would try it again if I had another 14 Day free trial to see for myself, that the issue has been fixed.

Royce04

Kayo sent me an email on 18/1/19 apologising for the inconvenience and offering me a free 1 month trial period as my 14 day trial was ruined by the synch issue.

But now I don't seem to be able to enter the voucher number they have given me. Unbelievable! It may be an issue with my computer, but seriously considering now that Kayo is just not for me. 

beau73

I just signed up with a voucher code for $5 for the 1st month if I resubscribe. The voucher code was accepted, and the audio syncing issue is now fixed on my telstra TV box.
ATM2

I contacted Kayo but was told that the extended free trial offer was only for special customers. As Kayo does not consider me a special customer, I am not entitled to the offer. So see you later Kayo.
ATM2

So remember, if you are not provided with this offer then Kayo does not consider you a special customer.
Royce04

@ATM2 wrote:
So remember, if you are not provided with this offer then Kayo does not consider you a special customer.

I can't see why I'd be special.

The only thing I can think of is that I emailed them as soon as I became aware of the issue and lodged a formal complaint.

Tom231

I got an email too. It's been fixed. Everything is in synch I checked it out.

At least any future subscribers should be all good to go now.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more