Highlighted
craigr1
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV has no sound for mkv video files via usb

Answered

Hi All,

My new Telstra Tv works well except as a media player, where mkv files from and externall hdd will not play sound. I am not sure what the audio format/codec is but even if I did I am not sure what I need to do about it. Any tips? Mkv files play normally via other devices, Thanks in advance.

cheers Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV has no sound for mkv video files via usb

If the audio codec is AC3, then it might not work, or if it's AAC with multiple channels (ie. more than one language).

Tyr re-encoding your MKV files to change the audio codec, or to mp4, etc. Just check what the current codec is so you know what to avoid.

Cheers!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

If the audio codec is AC3, then it might not work, or if it's AAC with multiple channels (ie. more than one language).

Tyr re-encoding your MKV files to change the audio codec, or to mp4, etc. Just check what the current codec is so you know what to avoid.

Cheers!

craigr1

Thanks Datalore,

You are right the codecs are AC3. And most files have multiple channels (for subtitles). I have avoided the issue by re-fitting my wdtv live which will stream/ play almost anything. I was hoping to rationalise my devices into the roku/TTV though. Maybe if I can find a way of batch processing all the affected movie files to an acceptable codec I might try that, but it is no good if the roku will not accept subtitle channels. Thanks very much for your response, nailed the issue first up!

Cheers, Craig

Awesome! Feel free to mark my post as an accepted solution Smiley Wink

Cheers!

KittyBangBang

I got a new computer and I was so excited to have a functioning device that could actually store all of my movies/videos, so I could ditch all the discs and USB's and just stream everything via the TTB. Only to find out, TTB won't play any of my files, and if it does play, no sound.... What a joke. I have been trawling the forums trying to find a fix, and feeling very disappointed. Thanks for this question/answer though, it saves me wasting more time on it. 

Darn
Level 3: Gumshoe

You can get the audio working on some mkv files by using the option button on the remote and switching the audio chan and then switching it back.

That said the telstra TV is terrible the devs don't seem to care about updates for codecs or the UI...

Even the buggy WDTV live does a far better job better UI and will play almost anything.

I will be getting a Nvidia shield and mothballing this useless unsupported device i suggest you do the same!

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more