Ange59
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra TV not connecting on startup

Answered

After using this Telstra TV 1 box for many years, we are having a current problem that has been prevalent for at least 2 months now. We use the Telstra box via WIFI connection. Every time we switch on the TV. the Telstra TV box informs us that it is not connected to the internet and it tells us to set up a connection. In order to fix this problem we have to either:

1. Reboot the box completely and it finally works

2. Go into settings and keep trying to connect until it finally does

All of our other devices connect without problem to the WIFI. There have been no complications with our internet in the past 2 months. The only problem is our Telstra TV box. We are unable to connect via ethernet cable as the modem is in another room (it is not so far that WIFI connection is unattainable or unstable). It is only until recently that the box has had this problem.

I was told by a Telstra representative on the phone that there is no longer any phone support for Telstra TV as they are phasing out the box (?). I was told to comment here instead.

As our current box is 2 generations old I am looking for a replacement as this box has become faulty and unusable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV not connecting on startup

The consultant that you were talking to got confused. They thought you were talking about the TBox (never use the word box with them when referring to the Telstra TV).

If it is under 2 years old, then it will be covered by warranty. Especially if you get it as part of your plan.
If it is older than that, you may need to buy a new one if it is faulty.

Have you changed modems recently?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ange59
Accepted Solution

Thanks so much for your response. I have just phoned Telstra and made the same inquiry, they have said the issue in an ongoing one affecting many customers. The issue is most likely a software one and is currently being resolved.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

The consultant that you were talking to got confused. They thought you were talking about the TBox (never use the word box with them when referring to the Telstra TV).

If it is under 2 years old, then it will be covered by warranty. Especially if you get it as part of your plan.
If it is older than that, you may need to buy a new one if it is faulty.

Have you changed modems recently?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ange59
Accepted Solution

Thanks so much for your response. I have just phoned Telstra and made the same inquiry, they have said the issue in an ongoing one affecting many customers. The issue is most likely a software one and is currently being resolved.
Balhannah_Pats
Level 1: Cadet

this issue seems to have become prevelent since the enhanced remote update
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Balhannah_Pats - I haven't noticed this issue with my Telstra TV1, but I did recently purchase the enhanced remote which does seem to work better than the original remote which uses Wi-Fi Direct for the Telstra TV buttons and IR (Infrared) for TV controls (power & volume controls). The original remote uses IR only. 

Have you tried returning the Telstra TV to factory defaults to see if this resolves the issue?  Please note that you will need to reconfigure the login details for all the apps if you do this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Delirium

I encountered this today too and I was able to fix it by resetting my network connections. Go to settings, system, advanced, network connection reset. Do that and reconnect. Good luck
mrsmattyg

i have just got the new telstra tv3 and am trying to set it up.

it has come to the updating software and keeps coming up with error 005 . anyone know what to do here?

it says to go to www.go.roku.com/softwareupdate which i have tried but the laptop and mobile internet both will not go to this page. says this page isnt working. my.modem.modem directed you to many times.

help!

Error 005 means that your Telstra TV hasn't been able to connect to the internet.
mrsmattyg

its the nbn that was installed this morning which is working fine as the laptop etc are on the internet ok... i am now trying to install the telstra tv3 .
when i select a new connection and it goes through the wireless network tick, local network tick and ticks the internet also. i thought that would mean it is connecting ok?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you unplug the power to the Telstra TV for a couple of minutes before restarting and then trying again?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes, it should be in that case.

My usual plan of attack in that type of situation is to Factory Reset the Telstra TV and see if that resolves its issues.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now