Louisrj
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra tv power button issue

The power button on the remote works fine on the tv, however it doesn’t switch off the Telstra tv unit. After a while the Telstra tv box switches itself off (the light on the front switches off)), but when I use the remote to switch it back on, only the tv turns on, not the Telstra tv box. The only way I can turn it back on is to pull the power cord and reinsert it.

Why does the Telstra tv not power up?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
mjmars1985
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Telstra tv power button issue

I think that is just normal...
While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent that of Telstra.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Louisrj, 

Thanks for contacting us about the Telstra TV remote and power issue. Are you able to use the TV remote to turn on the TV first and then use the remote to turn on the Telstra TV? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Louisrj

Thanks for your response. The Telstra TV remote works fine on the TV monitor....it just doesn't power up or power down the Telstra TV box. i.e. when I try to use the remote to switch off both units, only the TV monitor turns off.... the Telstra TV unit remains on. It will eventually time out and shut down due to inactivity. (presumably after it has chewed through some more data download)

When I come to switch it on, the Telstra TV remote turns on the TV monitor (as it should), but not the Telstra TV box. I can eventually bring it to life by pressing either the 'Live TV' button or the 'Home' button.

Lastly, if I switch from Kayo back to live tv, if the last channel viewed was Channel 9, I get the TAB teletext screen over the top of the live TV. The only way to fix this is to pull the power lead and start again.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have a few more questions. 

You turn your TV on with the TV remote, do you then use the Telstra TV remote to wake up the Telstra TV? Have you tried changing the batteries in the Telstra TV remote? 

If you haven't done this already, I would suggest making sure that your Telstra TV has the latest update. This can be done by going to Settings > System and you will see the option to check for updates.

If there is no change after that, I would return the modem to factory defaults via Settings > System. If you do this, you will need to reconfigure the login details for the Telstra TV as well as any apps that require a login. 

If the issue continues after restoring it to factory default, please call 132200, say 'Telstra TV' then 'Faults' and this will take you through to a dedicated team that can discuss this further with you.

They will need the serial number located on the bottom of the Telstra TV

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Louisrj

Thanks for your response Shellock.

I use the Telstra TV remote for everything; it has paired successfully with my TV. The issue is that it doesn’t turn the Telstra TV unit off. It also doesn’t turn the Telstra TV unit on (at least not by simply pressing the power button by itself). I have ‘re-paired ‘ the Telstra remote with the Telstra TV unit several times, and it works fine for all other functions except for the power button.issue. 

So if everything is ‘off’, I press the power button on the Telstra TV remote, and the TV switches on, but the TTV doesn’t, at least until I press another button such as ‘live TV’. But when I want to switch everything off, only the TV powers down... the TTV remains on until it eventually times out. Presumably it is still using data until this happens. 

I have reset and replaced batteries. I even went to the Telstra shop and replaced the entire unit and remote. Still the same.... and then there’s the issue with the TAB teletext screen that I mentioned in my previous message. Consistently, when returning from Kayo Sports, to live TV when the TV was on channel 9, the TAB screen is covering the live TV until I pull the plug and start again.

Hope you can assist.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just to clarify, are you referring to the power button on the new Telstra Enhanced Remote that comes with the Telstra TV3 or can be purchased separately and used with the Telstra TV1 or TV2? 

Looking at the power button on the new remote, I can confirm that the power button, volume and mute buttons only control your TV off and not the Telstra TV.  These are sent via IR to the TV, where as the remainder of the buttons on the remote are for the Telstra TV and use Wi-Fi Direct. 

The Telstra TV goes into sleep mode and should 'wake up' when any button on the remote is pressed (aside from the power, volume and mute buttons). 

Personally, I do find that some apps will keep the Telstra TV awake, so I make sure to return it to the home page which will in time put the Telstra TV in sleep mode. 

Louisrj

Thank you Shellock.

Yes - I am referring to the power button on the Telstra Enhanced TV Remote. Your explanation is appreciated. I think it is unfortunate that the power button does not switch off the Telstra TV unit as well as the TV. It does mean that care needs to be taken to terminate any Internet programs before switching off the TV (otherwise the download will continue unnoticed). This is particularly important if one does not have an unlimited data use subscription....but even if one does enjoy unlimited data plans, Telstra should be aware that it is unnecessarily loading the network without benefit to anyone..

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Most of the streaming will either require you to select and play each episode/movie or ask if you are still watching every few episodes if they allow autoplay for the next episode.

My suggestion is that in lieu of turning off the Telstra TV, make sure that it is on the home page once you have finished watching your shows, as that will ensure that you are not streaming data continuously while you are not watching it.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more