Garfish
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond password prompts in Microsoft Outlook

Answered

I have just started having an issue with Microsoft Outlook and my bigpond email - it keeps prompting for a password, even though I have not changed my password for ages.  I have no issues with other devices like phones, or webmail, just Outlook.  Any thoughts please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Azza4
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond password prompts in Microsoft Outlook

SYMPTOMS

SMTP Password Prompts from mail.bigpond.com server - Sometime after restarting MS Outlook a number of times it would login but more often than not it would fail.

SMTP Password Prompts from smtp.telstra.com server -  could never login.

SOLUTION

Username in MS Outlook must have domain name appended. ie. Username = abcd@bigpond.com not just abcd. This may have been left over from original setup years ago when perhaps it was not required.

SMTP Settings

Check Box 'Use Same Settings as Incoming Server'

'This server requires an Encrypted Connection'

If using SMTP = mail.bigpond.com

SSL, 465 or 587

If using SMTP = smtp.telstra.com

SSL, 465 only

16 REPLIES
Eagle17

I am having exactly the same problem. ...pop up box asking for password.. not accepting it . only in outlook.

Sorry no solution for you.  

Andrew100

Same problem here with 2 different machines and accounts. What is going on Telstra?

tablemanner

I've been having this issues since last Thursday. Still having this issue and can't send emails.

Marklockie

Same problem. On Sat tried just cancelling the password prompt and email was sent anyway. But that does not work now and even saying that password is incorrect. Email works ok on iPhone though.

Technical Support
Technical Support

What are the outgoing mail server settings currently configured in Microsoft Outlook?

Below you will see the recommended outgoing mail server settings for Telstra Mail and the original BigPond Mail. The one that you use will depend on which mail server your mailbox is currently hosted on.

Telstra Mail - Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com

Outgoing server port: 465 

SMTP authentication: On

Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS 

BigPond Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

Authentication: Yes

Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Gitte

I'm having this exact problem and it's driving me crazy.  I've checked the details and everything is set up as per Shelly's specifications.  I'm receiving emails but it's not letting me send and I constantly get the prompt.

Anyone found a fix yet?

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

When you get a prompt for password is the correct bigpond email address displayed in the User Name box above password box?

Azza4

I have same problem that started around 2 weeks ago. Microsoft Office Outlook asking for login credentials on SMTP server despite the correct details. The problem is somewhat random? If you restart Office Outlook it MAY work until next start. Fails maybe every 5 Outlook restarts or so.  Is a Telstra SMTP server incorrectly configured somewhere?? You can set the account for no encryption but that's not a great solution.

Details

Bigpond Email

Windows 10 64bit

Microsoft Office 2010

Pop & SMTP servers - mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing Server Requires Authentication - checked

Pop Server - SSL, 995

SMTP Server - 587, SSL

Have also tried with same results:

Restart PC

Repair Office 2010

Repair Account in Office Outlook

SMTP 465, SSL

Disable Antivirus

NOTE: Other old bigpond accounts set to NO Encryption work fine.

stephendean60

I have had similar problems. I then change to the outgoing port and it is all good. Then it fails again a few days later and I change to the other outgoing port number. I wonder if it is because I am still using bigpond instead of Telstra Mail. Should I change to setting up Outlook to Telstra Mail?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey stephendean60,

The settings for each type of device/platform for using Telstra Mail can be found here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-mail-on-your-device

I would recommend checking the settings against what is listed in the link I provided and making sure they are all correct.

Let me know how you go.

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Azza4
Accepted Solution

SYMPTOMS

SMTP Password Prompts from mail.bigpond.com server - Sometime after restarting MS Outlook a number of times it would login but more often than not it would fail.

SMTP Password Prompts from smtp.telstra.com server -  could never login.

SOLUTION

Username in MS Outlook must have domain name appended. ie. Username = abcd@bigpond.com not just abcd. This may have been left over from original setup years ago when perhaps it was not required.

SMTP Settings

Check Box 'Use Same Settings as Incoming Server'

'This server requires an Encrypted Connection'

If using SMTP = mail.bigpond.com

SSL, 465 or 587

If using SMTP = smtp.telstra.com

SSL, 465 only

ALS62

In desparation to stop these Bigpond password prompts, I have deleted Bigpond from my computer, but I still get the prompts. How do I stop them?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi ALS62,

Sorry to hear the issue is ongoing. I recommend having a chat with our tech support team on 133933 so we can further assist.

-Chris

hoohoo

Having issue with Microsoft Outlook and my bigpond email - it keeps prompting for a password, this has just started over the past week. I can log on to webmail via my telstra account and other devices (phone - ipad) but cannot access via my desktop. When the credentials are requested, it doesn't matter how many times I press OK it does not work. I have changed settings back and forth several times as suggested with nil result. Also since the change over to the NBN, I have not been able to access my icloud account via Outlook, not sure why.

I would like to get an answer to this to help resolve the issue of sending and receiving emails without the drama of going via webmail etc to get back to the way that I use to do it via Outlook, most omportant as it as I use Outlook for more than just emails.

Thanks for you help in advance

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi hoohoo

If the email is working while logging into webmail but not through an email program, one thing that can work is resetting the email password to align the server details again. Otherwise the tech support team will be able to escalate further on 133933. 

- AlistairQWA

cornwall99

I have this same issue. It just started today. I checked the settings, made sure they were as below. No good still.