Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Level 1: Cadet
0 Kudos

Accessory repayment Option - what do I get?

Hi Guys

Since I was convinced by a sales rep to change my plan, I have been charged an ARO each month.  What service for product do I get for this monthy fee.  I have not received any noticable advantage for this or any information on what it can be used for  Thanks heaps.

Level 20: Director
0 Kudos

Re: Accessory repayment Option - what do I get?

Hello,

Looks like you took up your new plan in a Telstra store right. ?

If you didnt purchase any new mobile accessory's with your new mobile please go back into the Telstra store and sort it out. Looks like this was added to your account with out your consent and if this is the case thats please sort it out asap.

What is ARO?

1.1               Under the ARO, we will offer approved customers credit known as a Accessory Repayment Amount and allow you to repay that credit by monthly instalments over a 12 or 24 month period (“ARO term”). This credit contributes towards the upfront purchase price of a mobile accessory or package of accessories.

- Views and opinions within my responses are mine and not those of my employer(Telstra) -
0 Kudos

The ARO accessory repayment option is a misleading add on provided by third party Telstra stores. This ARO is usually sold in a misleading and deceptive way that makes you feel as though you are receiving $240 worth of mobile accessories for free. It is not until you read the fine print in your contact that you will discover the additional monthly fee that you 'chose'! It is an unfair sales tactic and something should be done about it!
0 Kudos

I've too just realised this. 

the Sales representative that i was dealing with gave me the impression that i was getting the accesseries as part of my package for free.  There was no menition at the time of any cost to me.  This is very dissappointing and will make me think twice about going near any of Telstra Staff at the Telstra Stores for futher mobile plans.  One very dissappointed customer. 

There was no time to read the fine print as the sale representative was rushing me to sign (which i my  behalf i should have taken my time)  yes a very big lesson learnt. 

Akir wrote:
The ARO accessory repayment option is a misleading add on provided by third party Telstra stores. This ARO is usually sold in a misleading and deceptive way that makes you feel as though you are receiving $240 worth of mobile accessories for free. It is not until you read the fine print in your contact that you will discover the additional monthly fee that you 'chose'! It is an unfair sales tactic and something should be done about it!

Level 2: Rookie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think I just got burnt by this.  It seemed odd that I could pick $240 worth of free stuff off the shelf in the Telstra store (North Sydney) - I questioned the salesman and he assurred me it was "free" and "part of the package".  When I got home I see in the contract some talk of an "ARO" at $10 per month over 24 months.  Further research on the Internet suggests that this is a scam.

Have I been had or do they sometimes throw it in for free?

How can I check and what do I do about getting rid of the "ARO" (and the useless junk I didnt really want)??

It seems every time I deal with Telstra their staff trick me (happened once before with a *free* iPad that ended up costing me $20 per month).

Thanks,

Scott

Level 2: Rookie
0 Kudos

Update:

Went into the store to get some clarification on all this.  It turns out that in my case, I do indeed get the ARO for free.  

My contract states the plan (ie. $93 per month including handset repayment) along with an ARO of $10 per month for 24 months.  Here's the thing:  The store can get permission to waive the ARO fee (maybe if you are a good customer?).  It is a separate team that deals with ARO waivers - therefore on the day of signing up, your contract will state $10 per month ARO. A few days later the $10 per month credit gets processed against your account - you don't see any of this detail anywhere (i.e. Telstra 24x7), but at bill time you will see $10 ARO charge, then a $10 credit to cover it.

Of course, you can't get the $10 credit without incurring the $10 ARO fee ;-)

I'll confirm all the above when I get my next bill.

0 Kudos

Any news on this. Myself and partner have been scamed by this disgraceful behaviour.
0 Kudos

Forgot to mention I have approached the Manager to rectify this but of course he will not respond to my calls. I will be going to the shop next week. If this is not sorted iut in our favour, I will take it to the TIO.
Support Team
0 Kudos

An Accessory Repayment Option (ARO) is something you can use to offset the cost of accessories for your services rather than paying for them in store you can pay them off on your account. 

You can do this in two values, either $120 or $240 over 24 months. In a lot of cases this is used to offset the cost of some of the more expensive accessories some stores will stock. Such as the Harman Kardon Onyx 2 and Aura speakers or popular wearable devices like FitBit watches they often have offers on them too. Like the Harman Kardon Onyx 2 is usually valued at $329 is $299 on ARO with a $59 upfront. It can also be paired with a few little things like a case, car charger, bluetooth headsets/speakers to make the value. 

From my own time in retail I have hear of people not getting accessories to the value they are paying which is not how it's meant to work but this can be looked into on the receipt you get from the store and you will need to take up the difference with them directly. I can understand the frustration of finding this out in hindsight though or being told they're "free". It's not a bad option when used properly and for something you see value in. 

Let me know if this has been helpful

-Ashley

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

0 Kudos

Thanks Ashley. I never recieved receipts nor was I given a choice and in fact there was not even a mention of this at all. It was made to look like this was a package "gift" from Telstra. I most certainly wouldnt have chosen the case, car charher and spare battery as accessories. This was the Manager of the store! Refusing to take my calls. I will be on his doorstep this week and if I do not have this looked into, I will go all the way to the TIO and also Telstra needs to take a good look into this shoddy scam which is not a good look for Telstra either. It is being misused to scam cusomers.
Support Team
0 Kudos

Hi MxWhisper

Certainly not a great experience. You are correct to address this in the store, however, if this proves to be unsuccessful please let us know. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

cxc
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have just encountered the same problem. I went into the Telstra store to upgrade 10 phones. We were told by two sales reps to grab cases for each phone at absouletly no cost due to that large number of phones we were contracting. When I went back to pick up the phones later that afternoon, the two reps informed me that they had thrown in additional chargers and a speaker free of charge. I now have our first bill at it has a AR0 $240 over 24months charge. The 'free' accessories arent even worth $240.00, let alone $100!! We are not impressed! Telstra, please advise how to fix this. 

Support Team
0 Kudos

Hi cxc,

Welcome to CrowdSupport.

I can certainly appreciate your concern surrounding the Accessory Repayment Option that you were unaware of and that has now been reflected on your most recent invoice. I would recommend speaking to the original store at which these plan changes and new handsets were processed and raising this with them directly. You can find your local Telstra Store at http://tel.st/uyc2

0 Kudos

I was just scammed with this too (January 2017). The Telstra salesperson at the SUNBURY store told me Telstra was running a promotion and I could take $300 of accessories for free. I queried the salesperson more than once and each time he told me the accessories were indeed free. Lo and behold, I find I'm being charged this disgraceful $15 per month 'accessory repayment option' for the 24 month term of the mobile plan for these 'free' accessories. I contacted the store and the representative told me I had to pay the ARO as I had signed a contract to that effect. Beware of a Telstra mobile plans, they will mislead and deceive you and rip you off! If this happens to you complian immediately to the telecommunications ombudsman.
0 Kudos

I actually just realised this charge is on all of my bills.  I assume it was from the last time I upgraded in a telstra store when they told me that I can pick out accessories for free,  I remember questioning as it didn't sound right.  I even asked if I had to pay it back and they were like nope, totally free.  Now I'm paying a few hundred back for 2 dollar accessories.. same problem as everyone else in here.. how are they allowed to do this?

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi Jaredm, 

We can certainly assist in investigating what is happening with your ARO. Please get in touch with the billing team here via live chat http://tel.st/hsc3

They can arrange to cancel or remove any accessories you no longer require. 

Regards