CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
parleycross
Level 1: Cadet

Saga of trying to change my password through My Account

Answered

I had trouble yesterday when I decided to change my password for Telstra and email. I believe it is good practice to change the password every so often and I now use a password manager that generates long and strong passwords and then stores them.

Anyway I generated a long password of probably 24 characters or so and updated through My Accounts. It said Password successfully updated so all good it seemed.

My Microsoft Outlook however wouldn't accept the new password at all. I tried to get help through Telstra support and they had no luck as it is a 3rd party product.

Eventually I found out by googling that Outlook can only accept a 16 digit password. It won't accept a longer one.

This is better than the Telstra scenario. I was able to log in to Telstra mail and access my email that way. Then I tried to change the password again at the Telstra site and it spat an error when I entered the 24 character password as current password trying to change it to a shorter one.

I eventually discovered that if you change a password through My Accounts and enter more than 16 digits it says password updated but actually it has taken 16 digits only and ignored the rest. The customer doesn't realise and thinks their password is longer.

Telstra need to clearly state that passwords are max length 16 digits and NOT accept longer passwords. 

Just taking the first 16 digits and the customer not realising is very bad.

The trend with Password Manager software is to generate longer passwords so I think this issue will hit more people. But as a minimum Telstra should clearly state the maximum length of passwords and be consistent across the platform.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Saga of trying to change my password through My Account

Just to Update: The help section now advises that the password must be between 8 and 16 characters. Is is on the cards to increase the limit for password characters but there are other changes that need to be made first. No estimated timeframe i'm afraid
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2

Hmm they used to have 'minimum 8 characters, maximum 16' in the little help section next to the password strength indicator. Have no idea when that was taken out.

I have passed it onto the feedback team to review both the missing disclaimer and password lengths in general
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Accepted Solution

Just to Update: The help section now advises that the password must be between 8 and 16 characters. Is is on the cards to increase the limit for password characters but there are other changes that need to be made first. No estimated timeframe i'm afraid

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now