CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

Someone accessed my account?

I have an e-mail sitting in my inbox that claims "Rosa Ricks" just applied for and successfully gained access to my wife's Telstra account!

* The header information indicates that the e-mail originated from no-reply@telstra.com.au (which if memory serves me correctly, is the address used by most of Telstra's newsletters/announcements/notices/bulk mail/etc).

* The sender (in the body) is named as "Gerd Schenkel (Executive Director, Telstra Digital Sales and Service)" - obviously I no longer have access to the Telstra directory server, but surely someone here does and can verify the authenticity of this employee?

* The embedded links to Telstra.com and Telstra 24/7 appear to be legit... But fraudulent e-mails are well known to use various tricks to achieve this, usually dubbed "URL hijacking".

* My wife's first name (which has unique spelling for her name) is spelt correctly, however her surname is spelt incorrectly (though in a way that could be put-down to the poor English the Telstra call centers maintain).

Firstly, whom can I forward this to to verify its authenticity, and also to verify if our account has been accessed? I tried to find the Web-based version of Telstra 24/7, but it appears to have disappeared... If this is legit, well we'll take it from there.

And if this is fake, well again whom can I forward this to? You guys need to be made aware of any fake e-mails circulating, and forwarding it to your fraud team would be the best way to do this.

It might seem like I'm jumping to conclusions, but I have had my identity stolen in the past and I would hate for my wife to also have to spend the next ten years fighting the same fights I've had...

If someone from the Telstra Team can please send me an inbox message promptly, I will send you my mobile/my wife's mobile first thing in the morning.

I have forwarded a copy of the e-mail to the wife, with strict instructions not to click the embedded links until told otherwise by Telstra or myself... Just in case you end-up talking to her.

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Someone accessed my account?

G'day gregoryopera,

No need to worry, Gerd is the Executive Director of Telstra Digital

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/author/gerd-schenkel/

We can investigate this for you via http://tel.st/49kl or by contacting 132200.
We can then double check the correct spelling of your wifes name & rectify the account.

I have also sent you a PM in regards to this

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

My wife was advised to fill out the Social Team's web form (by Dylan?), which we did the other day... We're still waiting on a reply of some sort, though.

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi gregoryopera, 

We're still getting through all of the web form submissions that we've been sent, answering messages from the 29th of November at the moment, so it shouldn't be too much longer. 

Steph

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit