Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What website browser do you use?

Hi all,

I recently read an article about Google Chrome Now the No. 1 Browser in the World and it has me wondering what browsers do our community members prefer to use and why?

My personal favourite is Firefox, but I must admit I have noticed I have started to default to Chrome more than once in the last few months, anyways i'm interested in your thoughts...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: What website browser do you use?

wondering what browsers do our community members prefer to use and why?

Specifically in relation to accessing CrowdSupport, or more generally the Web at large?

In a Windows environment:

I haven't done a speed comparison between the latest releases of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but I use both voluntarily (as opposed to being dictated to by workplace IT policy) on a daily basis, depending on the specific functionality that is useful to me in the context.

I like Chrome for the built-in Task Manager, and the ability to close a set of tabs to the right of the current tab (as opposed to all other tabs, to either the left or the right). What is most sorely lacking is the ability to examine and delete cookies for specific sites.

I use Firefox when I want a browser that is not bound by Window's IE proxy settings (to which both Chrome and Apple Safari are bound). I also like the granularity with which the user can deal with cookies, without requiring any post-install plug-ins.

I liked Apple Safari for the rather pleasing font smoothing, over and above what ClearType in Windows does.

I liked Opera browser for historical reasons – it was one of the earliest among major browsers to offer tabbed browsing, and navigational gestures.

In an Android environment:

Dolphin HD, because it bridges a lot of the functionality gaps in the default browser (on the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab). I haven't played with (or needed to look to) Skyfire or Firefox or Opera on Android enough to form an opinion as to whether I'd prefer one of them instead.

In an iOS environment:

Safari, just because it's the default browser app already installed, and seems to work well enough.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Drat wrote:
Specifically in relation to accessing CrowdSupport, or more generally the Web at large?

Interesting response, you seem to be open to all of the browsers on the market except for IE, the question was more of a general shout out to the community, however if you do experience any issues with Crowdsupport send me a PM to investigate.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Interesting response, you seem to be open to all of the browsers on the market except for IE
I use Internet Explorer when I have to, but I'm not fond of it. I'm also not fond of the stock browser on Android 2.x. I'm sure there are many other browsers on the market I haven't even tried, and am less inclined to try than to use the two native/stock browsers listed above in their corresponding operating system environments, because I guess I'm not one who is quick to trust ‘minor’ browsers with my passwords and personal information, etc.

… if you do experience any issues with Crowdsupport send me a PM to investigate.
I trust you already know that the WYSIWYG ‘Rich Text’ does not work in Safari on the iPad, and that the login page does not load and render properly in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 7 handsets (well, at least on the HTC 7 Mozart, and I'll have a go on the HTC Titan 4G tomorrow).
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Drat wrote:
I trust you already know that the WYSIWYG ‘Rich Text’ does not work in Safari on the iPad, and that the login page does not load and render properly in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 7 handsets (well, at least on the HTC 7 Mozart, and I'll have a go on the HTC Titan 4G tomorrow).

Same with Safari on MacOS (10.7.4).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ben_F wrote:

@Drat wrote:

Same with Safari on MacOS (10.7.4).

B.

Thanks guys, I am aware of the WYSIWYG issues with Safari / iPad and with the next updates to CrowdSupports hopefully the text editor issues will be resolved, however I was not aware of any problems with IE on Windows 7 handset so I will have this investigated further.

If you come accross any further CrowdSupport bugs let me know.

Yannick wrote:
… I was not aware of any problems with IE on Windows 7 handset so I will have this investigated further.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback-Support/CrowdSupport-Issues/m-p/35029/highl...

I also mentioned it to you in a private message on CrowdSupport, in reply to you on the subject of "CrowdSupport Improvements", which I sent on 18-04-2011.

——

Drat wrote:
I'll have a go on the HTC Titan 4G tomorrow

Same issue persists when trying to log in using Internet Explorer on the HTC Titan 4G.

——

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now