Genealogist
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra blocking has cost us 6 months of business

Answered

Back in February our  Charity's site www.wcmenshed.org was hit with  PHISHING attempt.

Telstra reacted by blocking the site and showing a "Malicious Content" warning.

Over a number of phone calls to Telstra from my home, and being transferred through multiple levels of supposedly customer service, no one at Telstra could tell me hoe we solved the situation. This persisted for over a month without a remedy. 

The site could be reached via any other provider and using a number of browsers.

We elected to take the hard decision to move the site from Hostinger to iinet, and to build a completely new site. I continued to try to find a Telstra technician at customer support, who understood the problem. Twice I was told that only Platinum level was the answer, but told that we had to pay for the Telstra created problem to be addressed. I relented and twice booked a time for the call back , only to have no follow-up call as organised.

This is now July ans our needy customers, with a Telstra account, have not been able to access the site and download the necessary forms they require, in order to purchase their refurbished computer. Each of these missed transactions relate to $100 that we recoup for Microsoft licensing.This situation is causing distress and hardship, and anticipated losses into the thousands of dollars.

If there is no suggestion forthcoming for the immediate resolution, we are left with no choice but to take this story to the public via th media and the Government via the Ombudsman.

Please treat this as a matter of urgency.

Mervyn Britton
Wanneroo Community Men’s Shed Inc.
EMAIL: wcmenshed@gmail.com
On the net: .wcmenshed.org
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/www.wcmenshed.org/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Genealogist
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra blocking has cost us 6 months of business

We (several of us) have been clicking that link for 6 months......it doesn't give any result.

The new site is blocked using Telstra.  Spamhaus shows us as clean, Sophos shows us as clean, Google shows us as clean.

...And today... the Malicious Warning pop-up has arrived with a new heading "Network Protection Low" which hasn't appeared before. Here is the url.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/31100457f069e7f4158aa64bfcc7952050e2622f97974c778c7e8a2766fc0c48/...

The volunteers that man our charity, are in the main, computer nerds from the early days of computing, As  our principal business is as Microsoft Refurbishers, we are not strangers to things computing, and are used to sorting out computing problems as much as any technician.  This problem, affecting everyone with a Telstra account, trying to access our web site, is ONLY in those conditions. Therefore it is a Telstra conflict and a Telstra problem.

(I see several other complaints on the web of people suffering similar trials,)

The outsourced customer services in the Philippines and Mumbai don't have the knowledge nor understanding of the situation, ans on one call I was passed through 6 different operators, having to explain the problem over and over, then to be told I need Platinum.

Surely there is someone in Australia competent enough and caring about company image, that could delve into what is a LOCAL problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 22: Superhuman

When the site comes up as blocked you need to click on the like to report it as safe to have the site reviewed.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Hey @Genealogist

Sorry my phone's auto correct has been playing up. When the site comes up as blocked you'll need to click on the report as safe link as shown in "Blue" in the image below. This will then refer the site to be reviewed and unblocked if it is found to be safe.

Unfortunately I have no time frame on how long it will take. This is not a situation that Telstra Platinum could resolve for you other than advising to click on the report as safe link and confirm with the company that is hosting your website that is it clean of malicious content and is secure.

Additionally there is a proceed any option if people want to access the site and bypass the warming as show in "Green" in the image below.

Capture.PNG

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Genealogist
Accepted Solution

We (several of us) have been clicking that link for 6 months......it doesn't give any result.

The new site is blocked using Telstra.  Spamhaus shows us as clean, Sophos shows us as clean, Google shows us as clean.

...And today... the Malicious Warning pop-up has arrived with a new heading "Network Protection Low" which hasn't appeared before. Here is the url.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/31100457f069e7f4158aa64bfcc7952050e2622f97974c778c7e8a2766fc0c48/...

The volunteers that man our charity, are in the main, computer nerds from the early days of computing, As  our principal business is as Microsoft Refurbishers, we are not strangers to things computing, and are used to sorting out computing problems as much as any technician.  This problem, affecting everyone with a Telstra account, trying to access our web site, is ONLY in those conditions. Therefore it is a Telstra conflict and a Telstra problem.

(I see several other complaints on the web of people suffering similar trials,)

The outsourced customer services in the Philippines and Mumbai don't have the knowledge nor understanding of the situation, ans on one call I was passed through 6 different operators, having to explain the problem over and over, then to be told I need Platinum.

Surely there is someone in Australia competent enough and caring about company image, that could delve into what is a LOCAL problem.

I notice the website link you put in there was http not https that could be part of the problem and would recommend having your page changed to https

Macaffe is also listing your site as being blocked: Info from https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

You'll need to request Mcafee unblock it and ensue the site is safe. 

Capture.PNG

Level 25: The Singularity

Yes. Can confirm that it is being blocked by McAfee on my non-Telstra connection as well.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Genealogist

site details.JPG

Genealogist

This is a new site, listed at a different provider, and shown as clean by everyone who has tested it lately.  McAfee seem to be caching the old details  from the old site, and requests to review it go through to Securi and they want to charge.  If Telstra is using McAfee as an arbiter, then they should get it removed when we check the box on the page.

Sikofit

I just visited the menshed site and it seems to be working fine ... I use ESET security and it never caused a ripple.

From my understanding multiple sources are used to collate the blocked site list, if McAfee has listed your site you'll need to get them to take you off there list which is shared around to other providers to help prevent consumers from accessing dangerous sites.

You will need to be careful with your site. As it is a Wordpress based site, it is far more likely to get blacklisted than other sites due to the large amount of backend code that doesn't get updated.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Genealogist

If that is the case, shouldn't there be a warning about "backend code" that would advise one to react and change such weaknesses?  Blocking a site without explanation is tantamount to kidnapping the site, especially when payment is expected to resolve the issue.

Surely Telstra have an obligation to investigate the vast numbers of contacts we have made since February, and should have known that McAfee were the recalcitrant parties.

Our new site and new hosting have been established for months, and all other testing facilities give a clean bill of health.  This system requires a radical rethink and overhaul.

No. It is not up to Telstra to vet each site and contact them to make sure that they know that they have been blacklisted, and why. That is the responsibility of the site owner.

Telstra's broadband protect service obtains it's blacklisting information from a number of different providers. They don't scan the sites themselves. If your site had been whitelisted, then that whitelisting would only last for a relatively short amount of time (enough time for you to get it unlisted by the blacklisting services).

It also wouldn't stop your site being blocked by other services. So anybody who uses a product like McAfee (which Telstra doesn't use) as their virus scanner, would still see your site as being blacklisted.

I would suggest that you do a bit of reading up on the matter so that next time it occurs (and it probably will), you will know what is required from the outset.

In the meantime, to keep your site running without glitches, make sure that all the software and templates on your site are kept updated, and if the developer of any component that is used on your site hasn't been updated for more than a year, consider moving away from using it to prevent problems from occurring.

Genealogist

Thanks Jupiter, and everything you say would be acceptable if we hadn't moved hosting and rebuilt a new website, following all the advice we could muster. No search that we had made, under directions, led us to the McAfee blocking. In fact it was only through this conversation that we became aware,  ALL other sites show the new structure to be clean,

When I was spending the many hours on the phone to Telstra, surely advice to check the blocking sites of 3rd party type, would have been one of the first pieces of advice.

Had that been the case this matter would have been resolved MONTHS ago.

I'm not railing at you, I'm suggesting Telstra is failing miserably with out-sourced customer service.There have been several other instances documented in this forum wit exactly the same problem. Any Customer Service Manager worth his salt, would have a list of possible causes for the customer to check off.  Listing ALL 3rd party blockers would be an early choice.

To be fair. In this case, you are not Telstra's customer. Your hosting provider would have been the more appropriate point of contact to try and get it resolved.

As Telstra doesn't deal with McAfee, why would they have told you that it would have been a problem. They can only deal with things that affect Telstra Broadband Protect.

They don't have the expertise on externally hosted sites, and you wouldn't expect them to. There are just too many variables. If the site was hosted by Telstra, then yes, I would expect them to be able to help you resolve the problem. But in this case, it is a failure of your hosting provider to provide support (assuming you approached them).

About 10 years ago, my own site was attacked by hackers, and it prompted me to start learning more about site security as my hosting provider, whilst they tried, were woefully inadequate in their assistance. In the world of the web, personal knowledge is far more valuable than provider support. You never know, some of your members might be keen to expand their skillset and they might want to take on the role and also advise others. A bit of Value adding, so to speak, keeps their minds active and they may be able to help others who are looking at having a presence (no matter how small) on the web.

Level 21: Augmented

Your site is currently listed as insecure by two reputable testing authorities (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/3f11167a0427edfc4ba8a2d69a37ea5bf0380d3ac459d9c046d4d1d5bf0d0e96/...), your redirection from http to https is not clean and your SSL setup is dubious (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/3f11167a0427edfc4ba8a2d69a37ea5bf0380d3ac459d9c046d4d1d5bf0d0e96/...). Get rid of "computer nerds from the early days of computing" since they obviously don't know what they are doing and get someone professional to secure your site and clean it up.

Agree with others, that you might be part of overzealous listing of wordpress based sites since those are known to be prone to attacks.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Genealogist

Thank you ForensicsGuru

You are no doubt speaking from a position of IT experience and knowledge.

The point that has been missed in this discussion, is simply that most people seeking advice DON'T have that benefit. I am sure that you have spent years working with telecommunications, but the average Joe hasn't that background with which to evaluate and solve specific problems. That is why we approach these forums of discussion.

Clearly Wordpress doesn't tell customers "Oh we are suspected of being loose with our code and may get your site blocked"  Similarly when Telstra blocked our site they offered no means of discovering why, nor where to find solutions.

I have already noted that I would never have learned about McAfee or Sophos if it wasn't for this discussion, infact,during the past two days I have gleaned more useful knowledge than the past six months of studious delving.

The crux of the problem remains that the TELSTRA notice of malicious content is only affecting TELSTRA customers. Other providers and browsers reach the site.

I'm chasing this solution, as it is affecting our CHARITY. A fully volunteer staffed CHARITY.

That means no-one gets paid for all this Faffing around, it is a labour of love, and executed in order that someone else doesn't get lumbered. Your advice has been appreciated.

Keep one thing in mind: one day when you need to find an answer to a problem that dogs you, you may be offered assistance by one of our 'computer nerds from the early days of computing', whose world experience and accumulated knowledge is far broader than IT. <grin>        Doctored Mervyn1.JPG

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now