Level 2: Rookie

Telstra App for Windows 10 Mobile & laptop

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra App for Windows 10 Mobile & laptop

With Microsoft abandoning the mobile market, I would not expect any joy... And there is no need for App on the laptop... Just use Edge or any of your preferred browsers...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Kevin_Hutch
Level 6: Bloodhound

As a windows exclusive user with W10 on my phone, tablet and laptop, I find the browser form of access, when it works, quite painful. Each step requires manual intervention, first connecting to the WIFI, then if the "msftconnecttest.com" starts without manually picking it from my favourites, (have saved all the intermediate steps as favourites to save restarting completely) then waiting for the Telstra signin screen, then username and password, then the wait whilst it verifies, often not even getting started without refresh, then several screens later the success screen starts running independently of any ongoing connection. All in all quite handraulic and way from seamless and all this for 2Mps at best, but often something less especially in that magic 2:30-4pm time slot. My postpaid mobile hotspot has the same throughput problem at that time too so I just dream of 10Mps+ that others complain about.

Most applications and browsers are quite dumb when it comes to the net disappearing, just hanging until the net returns, so with the high dropout rate I often wait 5 minutes for a response with the success screen still running, timing my connection, only to check the WIFI is showing "no internet". A disconnect/connect (with all the manual inputs) often reconnects.
Kevin.Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you are complaining @Kevin_Hutch. No idea what XX Mps+ means... No idea what has msftconnecttest.com to do with Telstra app. The purpose of that os for something completely different and if you are seeing it, something is horribly wrong with your set up. I have been using W10 since it was in alpha, then beta and now I am on insiders and never seen anything like you describe...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Kevin_Hutch

I am sorry your experience has not reached to understanding that data communication speed is measured in megabits per second and most users expect better than 2 million bits per second throughput.

My comments simply related to the unnessarily complex workaround the non telstra air application, ie windows operating systems users must endure. I believe we are a forgotten/ignored group who chose not to convert to Apple or Android prefering a keyboard as a computer input device.
Kevin.Hutch

@Kevin_Hutch wrote:
I am sorry your experience has not reached to understanding that data communication speed is measured in megabits per second and most users expect better than 2 million bits per second throughput.

I have to disappoint you - I do understand megabits per second and their abbreviation Mbps. But I do not know what your repeatedly used Mps+ means!!!

Level 25: The Singularity

Predictive typing are its worst maybe?

@Kevin_Hutch, from your description, it's not a problem with the Telstra system that you're experiencing but a problem with your device.

With the problem that you are experiencing, it sounds like the OS needs reloading. It's not working the way it should based on your description.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kevin_Hutch

@Jupiter wrote:
Predictive typing are its worst maybe?

@Kevin_Hutch, from your description, it's not a problem with the Telstra system that you're experiencing but a problem with your device.

With the problem that you are experiencing, it sounds like the OS needs reloading. It's not working the way it should based on your description.
I accept it may be a problem with my three devices as it appears to be a timeout problem, but I have difficulty accepting that all three could have the same failing as I can find no setting appropriate. Windows 10 has all updates done and has had the OS completely reloaded on my phone twice, on my tablet twice and on my laptop twice in an attempt to tidy up my systems and I have been a consistent user of CCleaner on both my tablet and laptop. Just today I experienced 4 dropouts on Telstra Air and requiring multiple restarts to achieve a reconnection. The Telstra Air connection I have easy access to, is a neighbours WIFI gateway that is less than ten metres from my desk and it is in turn ADSL connected to an NBN fibre node via less than 500metres of copper. I do experience dropouts on my phone hotspot also and rarely see faster than 2 meg throughput on it either, yet I have line of sight to the Telstra mobile tower under 2km away. I have just accepted a slow network as I travel widely in a motorhome and my emails are handled by client software masking the speed issue for emails and browsing is not a big part of my computing usage.
Kevin.Hutch

Which model phone is it? It may not have access to the all the bands that are in use.

Also, which town/suburb are you in? I'll have a look at the local towers and see what they operate on.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kevin_Hutch

My phone is a Lumia 640LTE and works perfectly as a Phone it is only on data that I have the issue hence my regular use of Telstra Air. The fact that I have the data throughput problems on both my phone hotspot and the Telstra Air and the slowing down after 3pm led me to believe it was a network congestion problem. The tablet is slightly slower and seems to have not as good WIFI signal as the Laptop unless it is under 4 metres from the WIFI gateway.
Kevin.Hutch
terryv
Level 2: Rookie

You both have gone way off the topic I posted on. Why not start a new thread? I have no issues with my Lumia 640 LTE both on WiFi or mobile date through Telstra.

My issue is that WIN 10 uses the app approach, with tiles, in line with current trends, but the WIN app store is not producing the Apps we need, Telstra being one of them. Smart companies  like bank of Queensland & ANZ   allow their website to reduce down, like an app, so it it suitable for use on a WIN mobile device. One would have thought Telstra could use this approach? Companies like Ridges hotels make apps for the other 2 operating systems but also allow you to download a barcode with all your check-in  details on it which overs the main points of the app. What we need from companies is a bit of imagination as Windows is the main O/S being used around the world.

@terryv, the Telstra website does reformat itself to accommodate a mobile phone screen. The layout is adaptive and looks pretty much the same as the 24x7 app does on an Android or iOS device.

If it is not working for you (in Edge, I assume), may I suggest that you click on the 3 dots at the bottom right of the browser screen and select the "View Mobile Site" option. It sounds like your device is opening the desktop version.

@Kevin_Hutch, Telstra Air connections that operate through a customer's home router/modem are limited to 2Mbps in order to not degrade their service. The Telstra Air hotspots that are at Telstra Payphones do not have this limitation.

Also, the home based hotspots will drop the Telstra Air users if the home user is experiencing congestion and/or high usage on their service.

That may explain your problem.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Your slow speed on your neighbours VDSL connection is due to Telstra only allowing you to use a maximum of 10% of the available bandwidth. I have an FTTN connection which is capable of 40 Mbps but if I connect to the modem using Telstra air the speed is limited to 3 Mbps.

The Lumina 640 works on all the Telstra 3G and 4G frequencies, on my Lumina 640 which I no longer use there used to be no problem with speed on the Telstra cellular network. It used to be faster than my then ADSL connection. So your low speed might be due to congestion on the radio tower.

There might of been a case for Telstra developing apps for Windows mobile devices in fact then I advocated that Telstra developed a Telstra app but few people use Windows mobile devices to day that the cost of developing an app is not justified. I do agree with you that developing  a Telstra Air  for Windows PC would be justified as there are growing number of people using Windows portable devices.

Kevin_Hutch

Apologies Terry, it is amazing how we all read something different into a post, I misunderstood you were talking about the Telstra Air connect app hence my replies. I am very surprised that you find no problem with it maybe it is a combination of slow net speed as the symptoms appear to be timeout and if it weren't for the dropouts I would not have realised the "Success" timer screen was independent of internet connection remaining. I could not agree more with your comment about the lack of application writers than focus only on Apple and Android when Windows is the most common operating system. Certainly I find using the Telstra via a mobile (small screen) painful, so I rarely do. Doubly frustrating when the phone was sold by Telstra as a windows phone. But for sure this forum is about the worst when it comes to the small screen, making it unusable except on a 10inch or larger windows screen.
Kevin.Hutch

@Kevin_Hutch, as far as mobile phones go these days, Windows doesn't count as an operating system as even its' creator gave up and doesn't support it.

I find the forum works fine on my Galaxy S9+. Just make sure that you have Edge set to show the "Mobile Site" and not the "Desktop Site" (it defaults to the Desktop site most of the time due to the way it identifies itself).
Kevin_Hutch

Thanks cf4 & Jupiter, I understood the 2meg limit and had read the reasons for it and accept the rationale. I have no problem with 2 meg it is just that it is often a lot less than that and I accept it must be congestion as the speed does get better at certain times of the day, the dropouts seem to be random. When my 4g connection slows so does the WIFI indicating that this is the case, I rarely see 20meg on 4G but I do tend to only check when it is slow. During updates I monitor the WIFi via task manager that lets me know when dropouts occur and with three W10 devices it seems most of my data is updates, I hope Microsoft will soon slow on the updates especially the size.
My neighbor has been away for a month and still the dropouts remain, it is only the internet that is dropped the WIFI connection remains. What annoys is most applications just hang when the connection disappears and after a while I check only to find the dreaded "No internet" reconnect and it takes up where it left off.
Kevin.Hutch
Kevin_Hutch

Fine on the demise of windows on mobile phone clearly Microsoft considered shoehorning windows into a memory limited devise with a small screen was no worth the trouble and accept that was outside Telstra's control, but application writers by and large have dropped the windows platform, Apple and Android are not the only mobile platforms that could still take advantage of the features offered in the plethora of applications and it is hard to believe that text only application are that hard to port to mobile phones. I personally prefer the transparent transition from desktop-laptop-tablet that windows gives me, the phone is self limited to text by the tiny screen.
Kevin.Hutch

I transition between a Windows Laptop, an Android phone and Tablet with no problems whatsoever. Everything works seemlessly between them. I use all 3 for work on a daily basis.

As far as memory limited and small screen goes, there is very little difference from a hardware perspective between a laptop and a mobile phone these days. My mobile has a screen resolution that is higher than my laptop and is only 1 GB difference in memory. The storage capacity of my phone is actually greater than my laptop by a factor of 4.

I even do more of my graphics oriented work on my phone and tablet than I do on my laptop.

Things like websites these days (including Telstra's 24x7 MyAccount) are written in HTML5, so scale from a laptop sized screen to a mobile screen with ease. The only problems occur when you get Microsoft forgetting to code the "what are you response" in Edge properly so that the web server can differentiate between a mobile device and a desktop device (laptops included) with a screen.

Luckily Microsoft are ditching the current version of Edge and the new version will be based on Chrome's engine instead, so it should work better.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now