Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

AFL app

Why did I have a 4G signal for the last two times that I used this app but tonight 8sept I am back to the normal 3GH+ with all its drop outs.? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: AFL app

Hi @Tattycat

Thank you for your post. 

When your internet drops back to 3G when using the AFL Live App, does it go back to 4G after exiting the AFL Live App? 

If it stays on 3G after exiting, this sounds like an issue with the service in your area rather than the AFL Live App itself.

We've had no other reports of this happening when using the AFL Live App. 

If the 4G signal returns after exiting the AFL Live App, please uninstall and reinstall to see if this assists. 

If this doesn't assist, please let us know the below device details 

What device are you using to access the AFL Live App? (make/model etc)

What version of iOS or Android is your device running? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

My normal signal is 3GH+. And a poor service. However when I use the AFL app it takes about 10 mins to switch from 3G to the 4G signal  Why am I being denied a regular normal 4G service? 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

What town/suburb are you in and what model phone are you using?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I live in Costerfield Vic. 3253

My phone is a Huawei Y5

@Jupiter wrote:

What town/suburb are you in and what model phone are you using?

Highlighted

The reason why you are only getting very intermittent 4G reception is because your phone cannot use the 700MHz LTE band, which is the band that is the most common and has the greatest range.

The two towers in your immediate vicinity use both the 700MHz and 1800MHz bands for 4G. Your phone can only connect to the the 1800MHz band, and since the nearest towers (in Heathcote) are 7-10km away, that means that you are only going to get a relatively weak 4G signal as the 1800MHz band has a much lower range.

On your next phone, make sure that it can use the 700MHz band (Band 28) and you will get much better reception.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Service issue is what I think also. That means there is no chance of getting it fixed

Thanks Telstra

Highlighted

Handset issue. The handset you've got is not a suitable device for where you live and what you want to do with it.

Highlighted

If my phone cannot connect to the 4G signal why then can I watch football via the AFL APP IN 4G uninterrupted. I also use a 4G dongle for my laptop and it works perfectly. I suspect that for some reason Telstra just will not give me a 4G signal 

Highlighted

Your laptop dongle will be able to use the 700MHz band, so will be getting a much stronger signal than your phone.

The 1800MHz band might be getting through to your place depending on weather conditions. Some weather conditions enhance its range and some inhibit its range. Your phone may also increase it's power on its radio when the app is running as it is detecting that it is trying to use a large amount of data, so when it does get a 4G signal, it boosts the power to maintain it for as long as possible.

When you exit the app, the phone sees that it doesn't need as much data, so drops the power to the radio to a lower level and therefore cannot maintain the 4G connection on the weak signal, so you get connected to 3G instead. It does that to save power and protect the electronic components, as running on high power for extended periods will reduce the life of the components as they generate a lot more heat. That is why phones warm up when they are using a lot of data.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit