Tiger2019
Level 1: Cadet

Afl app autoplay

How do I turn off auto play of videos in a news article in afl app?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Afl app autoplay

Hi @Tiger2019

Thank you for your post, my apologies for any issues you're experiencing with the AFL Live App.

Can you please let us know of any specific articles this is happening with?

I have just scrolled through the five most recent articles, and none of the videos in these automatically play, they all require you to press the play button. 

Stand-alone video posts will play automatically when selected, as they're not attached to any articles and the video is the only content available. 

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Arjayel

The article Ban Stands: Star Eagle Fails with Tribunal Challenge   is autoplaying.

Kjorg
Community Manager

Hi @Arjayel

Thank you for letting us know.

I've checked out this article and let the tech team know that the video in this article is auto-playing.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

@Kjorg I've just checked a few articles and where there is a video at the top of an article, rather than a picture, the video plays automatically. The videos further down in articles require a tap on the play button. So it seems to be a general coding issue rather than an article specific issue.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kjorg
Community Manager

Hi @Tiger2019 @Arjayel @Jupiter

The tech team have advised that auto-play of videos at the top of articles is something which was requested by the AFL.

You can click on the video to pause but unfortunately this cannot be turned off. 

Desy3

Hi Telstra support. 

The above is clearly an issue. The AFL app did not previously play automatic videos and now it does. 
As you have confirmed, the app plays videos automatically if the video is pinned to the top of the article. 
For Telstra to say that this is what the AFL want and that they can’t do anything about it is simply incorrect. 

Telstr are the platform provider and it is your customers who are using the app. 
I already know of people who have stopped clicking on articles to read them as to avoid the video playing. 

It is Telstra & The AFLs responsibility’s to provide its customers choice. 

Can you please investigate into this further as it’s extremely annoying and unwarranted that these videos are locked to auto play. 

Thank you 

aaron_h
Community Manager

Hello @Desy3,

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts, apologies for any issues with the AFL App.

It looks like this issue has gained a lot of attention on places other than Crowd Support, where all support

for the AFL App is provided. I did not see this post last month but we did have a second message on Monday

regarding this issue, this was the first time I was made aware of the problem. 

We raised this issue again earlier this week and can confirm the auto play of videos in articles will be turned off in the next

app update releases. We don't have dates but iOS should be within a week or so, Android is yet to be confirmed so will be

a bit longer.

Please let us know if there are any further issues, please feel free to direct anyone with any concerns with the AFL App to 

Crowd Support so the issue can be investigated, the link is in the App via 24x7 support.

-Aaron

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

MAidan248
Level 3: Gumshoe

That fix is very good news.  Incredibly poor design.  The volume also plays with the video which would be annoying for others nearby pre virus.  That was the worst update ever.

Jeffrey27

Just goes to show how greedy u are telstra...wonder how much cash u made making everyone watch that 10-15 src ad...b4 u can pause the video...and ofcourse the X to close the ad conveniently doesnt close...just to read an article...because if we wanted to watch the video we would click play and watch the ad....every damn video...like you not making enough from that...oh lets just chuck a no choice video on top of page on most articles an lets make more millions....an even worse rather than admit it was low by getting rid of the autoplay video...you go nah still making money wait till update...wen u can jus get rid of it...not like brain scientists update the app...every update since god knows wen has been garbage...theres always something wrong with it...now your just plain extorting data outta afl fans trying to read up on there team...anything to make a buck tho huh...keep up the good work

Jupiter

@Jeffrey27 you do realise that the AFL Live app data use doesn't get counted when you are connected to the Telstra network?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kjorg
Community Manager

Hi @Jeffrey27

As per the previous posts in this thread, autoplay will be turned off in the next update of the AFL Live App. 

MAidan248
Level 3: Gumshoe

For me the issue was auto play with volume on.  Notifications of a news update started with volume on as well.  For anyone who cannot wait for the fix, found workaround was to use Samsung Internet which lets you set volume per app / site.  AFL is the only one I have selected for volume control (zero) which sort of indicates the update was poorly conceived.  I am in AFL heaven again.

Jeffrey27

Oh thx genious....duhhh...u do realise not everyone is telstra right?...if i was Telstra u think i woulda bothered?

Jupiter

Well, the update is already out and the videos no longer autoplay, so your problem should be solved.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit