really11
Level 2: Rookie

AFL Live ios App Radio Streaming causing app to crash CONSTANTLY.

Hi there,

I've bitten my tongue for 3 weeks now, hoping for app updates to fix the issues but last night was the final straw. First a rant: why change the app when it actually worked last year? Now the problem: starting the first radio stream works but after listening for even just 5 minutes when I try to go back to the app and change to a different radio station for example the app has frozen and will either crash or I have to kill it and re-start it to choose a different station. Last night (Crows v Cats game) it was worse than usual in that the app crashed numerous times while I tried to open a different ios app on the phone. I'm on ios 12.1.4 on an iPhone 6 and really getting frustrated.

Please help,

Russell

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: AFL Live ios App Radio Streaming causing app to crash CONSTANTLY.

Hi @really11

Thank you for your post, my apologies for any issues you're experiencing with the AFL Live App. 

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the AFL Live App on your device to see if this assists? 

We've not had any widespread reports of this problem with the radio stream, however we're happy to raise this with our technical team if an uninstall/reinstall does not assist. 

Thank you

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

really11

Mmm, skeptical but thanks for reply, have just un-installed and re-installed, will test tonight.

really11

Hi again, after re-install it was a little better, but it still crashed 8 times last night. I'm assuming it's not a widesrpread issue as most people wouldn't bother changing radio streams during a match. Last night it took approx 15 mins of listening before attempting to change the radio stream caused the app to freeze and then crash. If you changes streams quickly it works OK, but after 15 mins or so it crashes when you try. Something isn't perfect anyway.

Thanks,

Russell

aaron_h
Community Manager

Hello @really11

Sorry to see the radio still hasn't been fixed

Apple have released an iOS update for your iPhone to get it to iOS 12.2,

this is a major update and may help resolve the issue.

Also, how are you connecting to the internet? have you tested the performance of 4G vs Wi-Fi?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

really11

I've tried both 4g and Wi-Fi (I'm on Telstra Broadband btw), no difference - there is something wrong with the app. I'll tick the boxes and apply ios update but any chance one of the devs can actually test the app there as well? Unfortunately there is NO other way to get a radio stream, other than this app, thus my frustration.
aaron_h
Community Manager

Hello @really11 

I appreciate this is frustrating, however we have tested on one of our supported models and cannot replicate this issue.

Please note the oldest iPhone that is supported is the iPhone 6S. 

For me to escalate any higher, we must first ensure all troubleshooting has been performed. This involves updates, how you connect to the internet etc.

Please test again once the update has been performed.

If the issue still remains, I will send you a private message to collect more info.

A few things that are worth double checking:

Does the AFL App have permission to access data and location?

Is your iPhone set to auto update time and date?

Does the issue happen with any radio station?

Have you found some stations working better than others?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

really11

Really, the iPhone 6 isn't supported? If this app wasn't the only way I could listen to the AFL radio I wouldn't bother raising this. Like I've said previously, it worked fine last year. So you're telling me that you've listened to a radio station via the app for 15 minutes, with the iPhone locked, then you come back to the app and you are able to access it normally - ie stop the broadcast, pick a different station, pick a different game and the app isn't frozen?

Doesn't matter what radio stream I use, after even 10 minutes when I return to the app it's frozen, the radio stream continues to play but I can't access the app at all. 

Once I've cleared some space and am able to apply the latest ios patch I'll let you know, obviously not till next weekend now as the last game for the round is on now.

really11

Hi there again,

After another 3 weeks of complete frustration, I updated the AFL app this week (i've been checking constantly for updates), and I really hope I don't speak too soon, but so far in the Port v Pies game it's WORKING perfectly again - on my iPhone 6 too amazingly (that's sarcasm, there's no reason why iphone 6 wouldn't work when it's got the latest ios).

Wondering if any changes specific to the problems I was encountering were made?

Thanks either way, hope it remains working.

Russell

aaron_h
Community Manager

Glad to hear @really11

There was an update last week that had some primarily cosmetic changes, however

last weekend we made some adjustments as to how a live stream is broadcast.

It appears as if this has helped resolve your issue, at least temporarily. 

When we say the iPhone 6 is no longer supported, this doesn't mean we don't

think it will work on that device, it just means that we no longer test our App

on that device, therefore we cannot guarantee how the App will perform.

Hopefully you have no further issues, and thanks for letting us know the radio

is functioning for you again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit