Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

4G network frequently unable to send sms or receive phone calls - HTC One XL

Hi,

Phone - HTC One XL

Location - Sydney

I have had my One XL for about 10 months now and the whole time I have owned the phone I have had problems sending and receiving messages and phone calls when connected to the 4g network.

Approximately 1 in every 5 sms's fail to send and to send the sms I have to put the phone into flight mode then turn flight mode off (disconnecting and reconnecting to the mobile network) for the sms to send or alternatively restart the phone.

This also happens with receiving sms's as sometimes I do not receive a sms that someone has sent for 1-10 hours after they have sent it (I can tell this from the time stamp and also when people have told me they sent an sms that I later receive).

The same goes for telephone calls, although I have full reception 1 in every 5 calls go straight to my message bank because my phone is apparently "switched off or out of range".

Now I have figured out that I can just disable 4g/LTE and I don't get any of these problems BUT 4G is the whole reason I bought the phone and came over to the Telstra network.

Is there a way to fix this issue? Is it a problem with my phone or the Telstra network?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this issue.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: 4G network frequently unable to send sms or receive phone calls - HTC One XL

Hi MarcW,

That's quite a strange issue, and I have to admit not one I've come across before, even when using a One XL myself for several months last year.  While the fact that it's only happening on 4G seems to point to it being a 4G network issue, the fact that this is the first time I've seen this issue arise means that it's liekly not widespread and could just as likely be a handset issue.  Is it running the latest software version available?  I only ask because these updates often contain bug fixes that may have addressed this issue.

Given we're not qualified techs here and can't test the handset, I'd strongly recommend taking your One XL to your nearest Telstra Store's Tech Bar and raise the issue with them- they can troubleshoot there and, if necessary, have it sent off for repair.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Highlighted

Re: 4G network frequently unable to send sms or receive phone calls - HTC One XL

Hi There,

I too am experiencing issues with my 4g connection dropping out, probably once a week. The 4g icon still shows but any attempt to use the internet, for example, results in a connection error.  I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 4g and to get the connection back, I need to toggle flight mode. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Regards,

Kevin.

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with a One M8. 4G data drops out and SMSs don't send. If I switch to airplane mode and back again, data and SMSs work again for a period of time until it drops out again.

Everything works fine on 3G and HSDPA.

I'm on the latest firmware and the last update was well before this problem occured. I'm going to try getting a new SIM unless there are any other suggestions?

Any help is most appreciated.

Mike

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mscott_au,

That isn't good to hear.

Are you finding that this issue only occurs when you're in one particular location? Or does it happen everywhere you go? A SIM replacement won't hurt and is a good idea to complete that step.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I am having the same issue. Replaced SIM, didn't work. Handset was replaced under warranty as it was deemed faulty, now it still happens on new phone. Happens in all areas.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tomm955,

Which issues are experiencing? Is it just SMS or Calls and Data too? 

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I have same problem with sms
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dieselw,

How long have you been experiencing this issue? If the issue has popped up recently its quite possible that its related to the current SMS issue we are having.

There is an intermittent SMS fault which is causing some SMS to fail and may require a few attempts to go through. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as we can.

-Matt W

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

It is happening with sms, call and data. 4g just stands idle until it picks up "H" reception and then it will load/send messages momentarily and then change to 4g again, where it stays idle. It's at the point where I just want to go swap my HTC for a Samsung or iPhone, it's ridiculous.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tomm955,

I've replied to the other thread you posted in about this issue. Please see that so we can continue on from there.

-Matt W

Highlighted

Hi - I'm getting same issue (for the last 2 months or so) on HTC One M8 - at least with SMS's,  not sure if I'm missing calls. It's annoying, but a restart or airplane mode toggle usually fixes it temporarily.  Is there a proper solution pending or possible?  Is it the HTC hardware or software, Telstra's network or a special combo of all three?

@Matt_Telstra- did your reply to Tomm955's other thread answer the Q?  if so, maybe a link to it would help the rest of us...

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi timodias,

Have you tried factory resetting the handset? My reply in the other thread was to gain more information about the issue. 

-Matt W

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit