RYANA
Level 1: Cadet

All about Volte and silly suggestions to pull your phone apart to fix it

When in a remote area using a WiFi booster, unable to make calls. Solved. Ignore advice to dismantle phone, type in show-off IT codes, do a hard reset and destroy all your hard earned data collections. I don't know what gets into these guys on forums. Just turn on Volte. But be warned, Volte can stop you completing 1300 and 1800 calls in a cellphone area. You can turn Volte off there. If NOT in a cell phone area and you need Volte to connect via whatever WiFi/booster area you've hooked into AND you need to make a 1300 call, go outside and cry. Because Volte might do the same thing in a remote area too. Or just don't make any 1300 calls - probably set up that way so you can't ring up and abuse Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: All about Volte and silly suggestions to pull your phone apart to fix it

VoLTE doesn't prevent you from making 1300 and 1800 calls at all (neither does VoWifi).

I think you've gotten confused between VoLTE (which uses the LTE data to complete calls) and VoWifi (which uses a landline based internet connection over a wifi connection to make the call).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RYANA

Whatever. I just posted what worked for me which is all forums should do rather than bragging, one-upmanship and silly suggestions to plug in stupid codes and pull your phone apart. Play nice and listen to others. I'll say it again, it worked for me. LG phone.

Jupiter

Can you provide links where you have been instructed to put in codes or pull the phone apart? They sound like solutions from many years ago.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RYANA

Nah. Just read silly comments on forums like this one and decide instead to think for myself.

Jupiter

I've done a bit of extra digging. From teh Telstra VoWifi FAQ:

Telstra will use the best information available to assist with locating your device. However, in some cases it’s possible that you will be with a default regional location, such as VIC/TAS, NSW/ACT, QLD, SA/NT or WA. Each default region uses its own local calling codes (i.e. 03, 02, etc.), so if the contacts in your phone do not include an area code, the default region code will be added. If a call in VIC (03) is made whilst a default location of NSW (02) is recognised by the device, it’s possible for a wrong number, or invalid number to be dialled. This also affects 13, 1300 and 1800 numbers.

If this happens, one way of resolving the situation is to move back into a coverage area and turn the airline mode on and off, which should reset the location. For some devices with Qualcomm chipsets, it may be necessary to do this every 70 minutes whilst in Wi-Fi coverage. Alternatively, adding the correct area code to numbers in your phone book will also solve the problem.

So, the location may not be being set correctly for your actual location, which could cause the 1300 and 1800 calls to fail. Especially in your case as the LG phones use the Qualcomm chipset, which requires a bit of more frequent coaxing.

RYANA

Yeah, right. I'm talking about remote areas and what works for me. That is what forums should be for, seeing as Telstra throws everything to the lonely masses in forums and is too lazy to do emails and their 1300 number doesn't work for those having to use Volte. As to 1300 number problem using Volte in the city, what I said happened and solved by turning Volte off. Telstra admits teething problems and forum users dont have a clue. Imagine having to use a 1300 number in an emergency and when the lady says "press 1 to speak to an operator", the number comes up and nothing happens? Turning off Volte was one tiny suggestion I found,  buried in rubbish and that suggestor was abused as usual. And you try driving 100 kms to nearest coverage and turn on and off your airplane mode. We tried it here when we got a signal on the property and IT DIDNT WORK. Stop reading forums and following irrelevant links and think for yourself. Then play nice with those who do.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit