Ba37
Level 1: Cadet

Anydesk scam

Received a call about 45min ago from someone claiming to be from Telstra's technical support who said my internet would be switched off in 24hrs unless I let them help me fix it. 

Sounded a bit dodgy but I went along with it.

First he wanted to know if I was currently using the net and mentioned something about a landline. I told him I was using my mobile and he wanted to know what type of phone I was using (brand and OS).

He then got me to download Anydesk and to tell him my IP address...I got quite suspicious at this point as this app can allow remote access and the IP address is listed in Android's settings. 

He also got me to write down a 6 digit code for McAfee (the antivirus I assume).

He then passed me on to his "supervisor" who claimed they had to access some server to fix it and that they'd call back in an hour. 

The number they called from was: 0421 020 123

Sorry for not being clearer but I could hardly understand either of them due to their thick Indian accents.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Ba37

Re: Anydesk scam

Forgot to mention the call started with a recorded message which is why I didn't immediately think it was a scam.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Yes, it's a standard scam. Been going on for many years.

If you have followed his instructions, then you have been compromised and they probably now have access to your phone.

Simply deleting the Anydesk software will not fix the problem as they just use this to install spyware onto your phone. You will need to Factory Reset your device to get rid of that.

They have probably accessed all your social media, can access your banking apps and any stored data that is on your phone. It is a very serious breach.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ba37

After I hung up, I searched for the number and found nothing. Then I tried "Telstra Anydesk" and found a thread on here about it. 

I deleted Anydesk and restarted the phone. About 3hrs later, I missed 11 calls from 5 different numbers in the space of 14mins (wasn't near the phone). Blocked them all. 

Ten minutes later it rang again, I answered but said nothing and heard the same noisy background as in the first call and hung up. They tried 3 more times in the next 20mins, all different numbers and all starting with 042. 

I assume due to the barrage of calls they weren't successful, whatever they were trying to do. 

And they didn't ask me to do anything with Anydesk asides from give them the IP address which changed when I restarted the phone. 

Do you still think I should reset the phone? 

(I know my way around a PC but my networking knowledge is fairly basic.)

Also, I use a VPN, don't use social media, and I don't use banking apps. 

Jupiter

I would still be resetting my phone just in case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ba37

Yeah, I downloaded Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything but I'll reset it anyway. I've been actually been thinking about doing it as the haptic feedback has been a bit weird for the last couple of months but I keep putting it off.

They rang again yesterday, said they'd tried calling and started asking the same questions. I told the guy I knew it was a scam and he asked who told me that, I said Telstra.

He was quiet for a few seconds then asked me to hold while he got his supervisor. I told him I was too busy to talk and asked for a number to call them back.

He gave me this number: 61390286967 (+61 03 9028 6967 I assume). Quite amusing given I live in Oz so why would I need to include the international prefix?

I didn't bother calling it, they've wasted enough of my time.

Thanks for your advice.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit