gregoryopera
Level 12: Master Detective

Availability of Xperia active?

Answered

Hi,

Does Telstra have any plans to offer the Sony Ericsson Xperia active to its customers?

I'm in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and this smartphone would be perfect for use in my line of work, particularly when I'm out-field... Given so many customers within the ADF are connected to Telstra, both at a corporate-level and also at a personal-level, Telstra could potentially make a fair bit of money off this device, so it's a win-win situation! Smiley Wink 

In all seriousness though, from my many years at Telstra, I discovered that the lack of "durable" mobile phones was a common complaint amongst consumers, and I also know that the vast majority of people requesting such phones are Telstra customers... 

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gregoryopera
Accepted Solution

Re: Availability of Xperia active?

The Sony Ericsson Web site seems to suggest that NextG (is the 850MHz varient of W-CDMA) is not supported and disappointingly I ust received confirmation of this from Sony Ericsson directly...

Oh well, it was a nice thought I guess.
NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

interesting looking handset, I do like the idea of a smart phone that can take a bit of real life usage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
gregoryopera

Not only is the smartphone water, dust and shock resistant, but it has a special display that will even work if there is liquid on one's fingers and/or the screen...

Check this out by the way: http://youtu.be/ewuRzONjZEY?hd=1

Some guy recorded a video underwater with the Xperia active! Smiley Very Happy

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

not something I would want to do but I have to say that's a pretty impressive demonstration
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
gregoryopera

It goes to show just how suited such a smartphone would be suited to certain people though... A plumber for example, could drop the Xperia active into a drain, knowing that it will stick when he pulls it out.

gregoryopera
Accepted Solution

The Sony Ericsson Web site seems to suggest that NextG (is the 850MHz varient of W-CDMA) is not supported and disappointingly I ust received confirmation of this from Sony Ericsson directly...

Oh well, it was a nice thought I guess.

View solution in original post

Sham
Level 1: Cadet

I tested this with the xperia go ST27i and the service would always drop out.. works fine on the optus network as they don't use the 850MHz band. I am pretty sure you can use the ST27A model as this supports 850MHz band.

gregoryopera

Yeah, the new "Xperia Go" supports NextG (i.e.W-CDMA 850MHz)... I have confirmed this and will buying the mother-in-law and my son one each when they're available at the end of the month.

Apparently the Xperia Go is considerably tougher than the Xperia Active, too...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit