D2ah
Level 2: Rookie

Can a Mobile phone be used on the NBN i.e. without any Moblie Plan etc payments

Answered

Will need a new phone soon; don't have much use for one and don't have a Mobile phone.  Have heard that you can use a mobile via the modem/router but not clear on whether this includes "normal" phone calls or Skype etc. If so how would one get a phone number - other than signing up for a minimal period and then no longer buying data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Can a Mobile phone be used on the NBN i.e. without any Moblie Plan etc payments

All phone services on the NBN are VOIP services, but most carriers only allow a connection to a traditional (corded or cordless) handset connected to the modem (the modem acts as the VOIP adapter). To use the Telstra NBN Home Phone service, you need to be using a Telstra modem.

A mobile phone can (through an app, usually) use a VOIP service through its data connection (whether that be through your home wifi, or the mobile network). It cannot access the NBN provided VOIP service as you cannot get the settings for the connection.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4

Re: Can a Mobile phone be used on the NBN i.e. without any Moblie Plan etc payments

There are several ways to use a mobile phone using NBN WiFi. You can either use a app like skype or use a VOIP app and a VOIP phone service from a company such as Mynetfone. With VOIP service you get a normal landline number which people can dial in on.

Jupiter

I'm not sure why you would bother buying a mobile phone just to use as a handset on a service (that you would need to pay for to get an external number) delivered via the NBN.

If you need a new phone handset to use with your home phone (the home phone service comes as part of your NBN service), just pop out and buy a <$30 handset to plug in to your modem and use rather than spending much more on a mobile and VOIP service that you probably won't use much anyway.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

The advantage of using a VOIP service and a mobile phone is its portability. The VOIP service can be used any were that there is an internet connection, even when overseas. When used overseas calls are charged at local rates.

D2ah
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks; I thought (not that I'm clear on almost anything on this topic and have contradictory advice on most topics) that all phone services via the NBN were VOIP.  My research on Mobile phones after about twenty minutes of reading reviews on a few sites clearly indicated that they were cameras with no communications or internet  functionality - an indication of the presumed knowledge/missing relevant details and incorrect use of terminology which is rampant.  I don't know whether my (late model) modem even has functionality for NBN phones or whether it is locked to "Belong" so I thought that at least with a "Mobile" I could have backup for a while. 

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

All phone services on the NBN are VOIP services, but most carriers only allow a connection to a traditional (corded or cordless) handset connected to the modem (the modem acts as the VOIP adapter). To use the Telstra NBN Home Phone service, you need to be using a Telstra modem.

A mobile phone can (through an app, usually) use a VOIP service through its data connection (whether that be through your home wifi, or the mobile network). It cannot access the NBN provided VOIP service as you cannot get the settings for the connection.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit