orion_jb2001
Level 6: Bloodhound

can not setup outlook app to my telstra mail account

I have a samsung s21 5g ultra and I am having problems setting up the imap for my Telstra emails, on the outlook app. To start, it will not do it automatically and wants a manual set up.  Not a biggie BUT  for the first time ever, in setting up, I am asked for a smtp user id and password.  Don't fill in those smtp details and you can not complete the account set up.  Well I imagine it will be the same details for imap.  Any way fill in all the bits, have the correct ports etc but it comes up with incorrect user name/password.  Well I know everything is correct, the only id or password issue, is adding my IMAP details re id, into smtp section.  Help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: can not setup outlook app to my telstra mail account

Telstra/Bigpond emails seem can be a bit problematic..  on any email client.

Confirm you have the correct credentials by signing in to Telstra WebMail first..  Webmail 

Have a look here Telstra Manual Email Setup 

Note that Telstra recommend the use of IMAP

Double check everything you type in, some people have been caught up with unexpected capitalisation..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Sorry, I didn't see the full text of your post due wee display bug here..

The Telstra/Bigpond IMAP uses the smtp. telstra or bigpond  .com for the outgoing server. The usename/password should be your email account credentials as used for incoming

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

The Outlook app for Android is a bit different to what it used to be..  intial setup of an account is much the same, albeit with changes to the way server settings are presented for example. Once set up, it isn't possible to see details of the account servers etc. because Outlook now relies on the MS Synce technology..  if you want to change a password, now you do that in the original account (i.e. Telstra)  and Outlook picks up the change when it syncs email - supposed to be easier but for me, I kind of like to make changes manually.. and be able to check things when things go wrong.. 

I haven't had to do that yet, but I guess the other option is to delete and then recreate the account in Outlook..  but what if you have a lot of email there?? especially if you don't also have that account on a PC client? So, I seem to be using GMail more and more unless there is a specific need to use Outlook (corporate email etc). In some ways it helps seperate personal stuff from work related stuff..

Stevo 52
orion_jb2001
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes I am sure my id and passwords are correct.  I am setting the correct imap and smtp data, apart from the weird asking for an smtp user id and password.  The only thing I can think of causing a id or password issue is that normally you don't need to put in a SMTP user id and password, so I would imaging the Telstra system when it sees this goes WTF.....  ??

I hope I find someone who has come across exactly the same error in setting up a telstra email account within the outlook app and have got the solution  

SteveW_52

I did exactly that this morning, set up a bigpond account on the Outlook app for android on my Pixel 5 running Android 12.

The big difference I noted was that where you were previously able to select to use the same details as the incoming server, now you have to put your email credentials in twice, once for incoming and then again for outgoing.. I used the full email address in both places and the same password, which worked fine and is running happily.

Not sure when that change happened to the Outlook app though..  it is different to the last time I set it up I'm sure.  The other change is not being able to find those server details once the account is setup, which irks me a bit..

As I said above, most of my personal emails are now in GMail, so they sync across devices..

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You're not imagining things. Outlook changed that earlier this year from memory. It's hard to keep track of all the changes that Microsoft make, but this site is rather handy for when you get curious Microsoft Outlook - WMPoweruser (mspoweruser.com)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter Iyes, I checked on another handset which ha s been sitting in a drawer, powered off, since May - it has the older version of the Outlook app and it is the way I remembred it, including being able to check account settings manually. The accounts were already there of course, I am not so happy about having to delete reinstall accounts as seems to be the current process if something goes wrong. Thanks for the link, I already have it though - just not as interested in this level of stuff any more..  other issues to deal with.

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit