SkisandStocks
Level 2: Rookie

Can't hear voicemail greeting of people I call

Answered

I've recently switched to Telstra. I also recently encountered a problem where I can not hear other peoples voicemail greeting. When I call them, the phone goes silent (presumably playing their greeting) before I hear the beep.

This problem is not referring to my voicemail greeting, but those of people I am calling.

If they answer the phone, the audio is perfect.

I have experimented calling a range of numbers (all had the same issue) and then attempted to call those same numbers from a phone using a the Optus network and the voicemail works perfectly, just not my phone.

I have turned the phone on and off with no fix. Open to suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mmmm5
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't hear voicemail greeting of people I call

I've just received an update from Optus saying that this issue is now resolved for anyone following. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
WillowR
Support Team
Support Team

Hey SkisandStocks, what an odd puzzle! To confirm, when you tried the other provider's sim was it in your handset? Or was that using someone else's handset? Just wanting to rule out variables : ) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

SkisandStocks

Hi @WillowR 

Thanks for the reply.

I've since tried a couple of other experiments, and I think it may relate to Optus. This is what I have found;

- Called from my phone to Optus: CAN'T hear their voicemail greeting, however if they answer I can hear them
- Called from my phone to Telstra: CAN hear their voicemail greeting, can also hear when they answer
- Called the the above Optus numbers from a different handset (not mine) and CAN hear voicemail greeting

- Inserted Optus SIM into my handset, called above Optus numbers and CAN hear voicemail greeting

I've been with Telstra since around late July. The issue has only started in the last week or two (October).

Sounds like Twilight Zone stuff to me!

Thanks in advance

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Could you please try calling the Optus numbers from a different handset using your SIM card.

Calleja85
Level 1: Cadet

I have this exact problem. Called telstra today. They seemed baffled.

Help

Calleja85
Level 1: Cadet

What phone are you using? I updated my iPhone 12 to iOS 15 around the time this issue arose

SkisandStocks

Hi @Dowser 

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have inserted my Telstra SIM card into another handset and called an Optus number and have experienced the same issue.

SkisandStocks

Hi @Calleja85 

I have an Android Samsung S9. I have had the phone for a few years. Was with Optus and had no issue.

I have been with Telstra for about 3 months. No issue for the first 2.5 months..... just started recently

Dowser

Two different users experiencing the same problem on different handsets, and your fault following your SIM card, both indicate a system level problem either with Optus or Telstra.

Dowser

Hi @Calleja85 

Have you also ported over from Optus, and if so when?.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Dowser   it's an odd one..  I have Optus and Telstra phones (and others) as well as a Telstra home phone and a handset via a Voice/Data SIM fitted to an Optus 4G Mobile Broadband modem ..  I have tested extensively between devices and service providers. No problems found at all using any combination. But other than having Voicemail activated and voile response setup, the devices are pretty vanilla.

So it would seem very number specific to me.  The porting query yo made, is a valid one too - there could be something Optus specific, but not necessarily a system issue.

I am wondering if it is something where the receiving number/device has some sort of activity app that recognises the calling number??  Like one would have with special ring tones of the defunct Call Tone option. Bit of a long shot with different people having the same problem on different devices. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mmmm5

Hi @WillowR , I work for a council and we’ve also encountered this issue. Optus are aware of the issue. Any idea if you guys are working together to solve this puzzle?

thanks 😊 

Mmmm5
Accepted Solution

I've just received an update from Optus saying that this issue is now resolved for anyone following. 

View solution in original post

SkisandStocks

Many thanks @Mmmm5 

I have just rung a few Optus numbers and we are cooking with gas!

I appreciate your help and feedback

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit