SJCD
Level 2: Rookie

Can't make/receive calls, but can sms, use data etc.

Hi all,

I just got a new phone and put my old SIM in. Now I can't make or receive calls, but data and sms is fine. 

I went to a Telstra shop and they gave a new SIM which didn't change anything. I've tinkered with settings, going to 3g etc and nothing works. 

It's a BlackBerry Evolve and I matched the frequencies with Telstra and even had two people at Telstra confirm that the network will support the phone, so i don't know if that's relevant. 

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Can't make/receive calls, but can sms, use data etc.

Hi @SJCD 

I don't know much about the Blackberry.

Does it have an option in the settings to reset the network settings?, then reboot.

Can you also post the model number?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
SJCD

Thanks for your reply! 

It's running Android 8.1.0 if that helps. I did reset the network settings and reboot but sadly, no change. 

It seems so odd that calls are the only problem! 

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello, did you source the phone in Australia?

If so, which network?

It may have some form of network locking???

It might be in aeroplane / data only ,mode?

A full factory reset would be advised if all else fails.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
SJCD

Hi! Thanks for replying. 

I bought it on eBay. It's my third, or maybe fourth, eBay BlackBerry that runs Android and the first I've had any issue with. They say it's unlocked. 

It's not in aeroplane mode, but how do I check if it's data only? 

I'm not adverse to a factory reset but it came out of a sealed box yesterday; would it still help? 

SteveW_52

Of course eBay sellers can always be trusted to give honest information..  Smiley Happy

Is this a PostPaid or PrePaid SIM? Did you go through the replacement SIM activation process without any errors or did Telstra do that?

Try doing a power cycle with the SIM in place and let it register. Had the SIM been registered and used previously and do you have another device you can test the SIM in (just quickly proving if a SIM provisioning or a device issue).

If you can use SMS/Data, what number is being shown to the text recipients and senders, Do you get number information? Have you tried calling 12722 123 (Own number RVA ) which will read your number back to you if you connect OK. Is that number correct.

Have you got the model number of the device? That is key to people trying to help you, settings and other things change from device to device.

Also post details of any messages you receive..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SJCD

I lolled at your ebay comment.  Maybe after so many good phones from ebay it was my time for a difficult one, lol.  

This is a post paid SIM.  I took it straight from my old Blackberry to my new one.  It worked as described.  I took the whole lot to the Telstra store.  They replaced the SIM.  It didn't change anything.  It still works in my old phone.  I've lost count of the number of power cycles each sim has done.  Even tried it without my SD card in the tray (as if that would miraculously fix the problem ). 

SMS shows my usual phone number.  I'm not sure I'd be able to call the number you quoted, lol.  

Are the below screenshots of any help?  

What message details were you after?  

Thank you for your reply!

SteveW_52

OK, that information would point to an issue with the device setting. Not sure if Network Locking would cause an issue with just calls but not data/text. So you might need to look through all the settings. Check what available APN's, Call Accounts and things there are.

The SIM Status - network, clearly states Telstra,and Voice and Data are in service.

I was just after any error messages you might have seen while trying to make calls..

With a post paid SIM, you should at least try calling that RVA number

If you don't have a handset user guide this might help (download required)..

https://www.gsmscore.com/blackberry/evolve/manual/

It's been a while since I used a Blackberry- since they went off the market for a while. Back then you used to have to register with Blackberry to activate the handset but thats all changed now.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit