gregoryopera
Level 12: Master Detective

Data Usage App or Widget?

Answered
A quick search of the Android Market will show a number of data usage applications and/or widgets for Telstra customers (usually post-paid customers), however none of these are official and one must question how safe it is to use such applications or widgets...

Is there any possibility we may see an official data usage application or widget (preferably the latter) at some point in the future?
NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Data Usage App or Widget?

Possible however as far as I am aware not on the immediate horizon, as data usage can be tracked via SMS "Use" to 176 or going to m.bigpond.com > my data usage 

Both of these services are free to use. 

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Emissary
Accepted Solution

Possible however as far as I am aware not on the immediate horizon, as data usage can be tracked via SMS "Use" to 176 or going to m.bigpond.com > my data usage 

Both of these services are free to use. 

View solution in original post

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Emissary wrote:

That's right, also last time I checked the iPhone app simply displayed m.bigpond.com in exactly the same way as Safari, without adding anything in particular, I would imagine you could get precisely the same effect on Android by putting a link to the site on whatever that thing is called where you launch stuff from (the launcher?). Please excuse my n00biness.

As to real time data usage monitoring, I vaguely remember hearing that was being worked on at the same time as the data speed shaping for mobiles, but I can't remember where that was! I'll have to have a look for a link today and see if I can find anything.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Emissary

@thedylan wrote:
As to real time data usage monitoring, I vaguely remember hearing that was being worked on at the same time as the data speed shaping for mobiles, but I can't remember where that was! I'll have to have a look for a link today and see if I can find anything.

Spot on. 

Telstra is currently looking to Shape mobile data usage on Mobile Services once they reach the pre-included limit. If i remember correctly they were looking to roll it out Q4 this year i believe. However it's was never a confirmed date and more of a target. 

And before people go crazy, Yes they are also tossing around the idea or "Once off Bolt On" for those that need it. 

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Emissary wrote:

And before people go crazy, Yes they are also tossing around the idea or "Once off Bolt On" for those that need it. 

I have no idea what "Once off Bolt On" means here! Any chance you could explain further? Also I had no luck finding a link, except to non-Telstra sources.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Gameboy
Level 6: Bloodhound

One would asume it is a once off extra data allowance - usually purchased.

Emissary

@Gameboy wrote:

One would asume it is a once off extra data allowance - usually purchased.

Correct. 

Apparently with the Restriction, Obviously some users may end up being speed limited due to unforeseen usage or what not and as such would more then likely want to have some extra data but without actually changing the data pack (Having pro rata etc) so they can purchase a once off Bolt On for the remainder of the month which would then expire. 

Working on a similiar princple to Internation Data Roaming Pack, (Once off) agaisnt the International Data Roaming Plan (Recurring)

ScottBarratt
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Emissary wrote:

Yep.
I think that is what 'Customers who have used their data allowance will be able to top-up directly from their handsets to resume full-speed data services such as web browsing' is referring to, as per:
http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media-centre/announcements/telstra-moves-to-reduce-mobile-pho...
Cheers! Scott.

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@ScottBarratt wrote:
http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media-centre/announcements/telstra-moves-to-reduce-mobile-pho...
Cheers! Scott.

That's the link I was looking for! Have a kudos!

-Dylan

ArtyMarty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Here is an app in the android market, its not an official telstra app, but its great, been using it for at least 6 months on my Desire

It works great and gives you a widget with your usage.  Is very accurate, identical figures to the telstra website. (and as a widget its always there for you to see without clicking on it)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tincan.telstrameter&feature=order_history

Written by a local developer so if you have issues, he will fix them for you.

He also makes a great Melbourne Train Time table app as well...  That is if you live in melbourne!

And as you say, if  "one must question how safe it is to use such applications or widgets" when they are not made by Telstra, you may be overly worried/paranoid about apps and security on your phone, it might be best to put it back in the box and exchange it for a non smart phone.

This app has been installed between 10,000 and 50,000 times, and not reported to google as malware by anyone,  I have used it for at least 6 months (probably 12 months to be honest), and the only  unauthorised expenditure I have seen on my telstra bill in that time is when Telstra billed me 4 months in a row incorrectly for my data-pack. (and promised each month it would be fixed by next month)

- so 'safe' is a relative term.

Do you ever travel in a car, taxi, bike or bus?    Did you know the only thing stopping cars coming the other way from swerving onto your side of the road and hitting and probably killing you, is a small irregular marking of white paint - between 2.0mm - 3.8mm thick?  

One must question how safe it is, and how effective that is at stopping a car travelling at in excess of 60kph.

.... but I am sure you still travel on the roads... 

Something to think about eh?

Warmly, Marty

-=-=-=-=-
Passionate android user, tech geek and artist / jeweller.
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-
Blakel
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

The HTC Sensation and LG Optimus Black both look like they have pre loaded Telstra Usage widgets. 

The views and opinions in this post are purely of my own and not of Telstra.
SirLagz
Level 2: Rookie

@ArtyMarty wrote:

Here is an app in the android market, its not an official telstra app, but its great, been using it for at least 6 months on my Desire

It works great and gives you a widget with your usage.  Is very accurate, identical figures to the telstra website. (and as a widget its always there for you to see without clicking on it)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tincan.telstrameter&feature=order_history

<snip>

Something to think about eh?

Warmly, Marty

I use this app, and it's perfectly safe.

It works by using the existing interface on the "My Account' mobile website and getting the data off that.

No sensitive data is retained by the app.

ArtyMarty

... and after using the preinstalled telstra sanctioned app on the sensation for 2 hours, I am going back to the one from the android market - let's just say it's a lot better looking   Smiley Wink

-=-=-=-=-
Passionate android user, tech geek and artist / jeweller.
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-
mikesky

And why anyone would believe Telstra would do a better job providing an app for such things is beyond me.
gregoryopera

I actually didn't think Telstra's new "TelstraOne" application was all that bad... Yes it has its faults, but it is only version 1.0 and as Telstra have already pointed out over at the Telstra Exchange, many of the design flaws I pointed are planned to be addressed in a future update.

Furthermore, none of the third-party applications support pre-paid customer, whilst Telstra tell me that TelstraOne will in fact natively support pre-paid accounts at some point in the near future... 

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
mikesky

My experience is that the TelstraOne app is massive compared to other apps. On my desire where memory management is an ongoing issue it just doesn't make sense when there are better options.

I believe Quota supports prepaid, there are certainly settings within the app that indicates it does. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.southfreo&feature=search_result

gregoryopera

Yeah, I'll give you the memory thing... TelstraOne is a massive application and certain,y not well-suited to older devices and/or devices with small amounts of built-in memory.

Turtl
Level 1: Cadet

My Motorola Atrix has the Telstra One widget which normally shows my data usage percentage and days remaining. Problem is that there are numerous occasions when the Telstra webpage/data source is not available.

If it works, it's a good widget. If it doesn't, Telstra seem to be at a loss as to what the problem is and how to fix it. They like to blame my handset, but as proven to them time and time again, there are glitches in the backend system which is stopping access to my account data, not the app not working (using a direct webpage link rather than going through the widget gets the same problem/error message - web page is not available, temporarily down or moved)!!

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get support to investigate and fix this? Ringing doesn't help, Twitter response is call 125111, but they don't help (good at making things worse normally!!). What the answer?

JeniSkunk

Greg, the telstra app is obese because it is a monolithic app. It's the front-end launcher, it's the shortcuts, and it's the widgets. Because of that last thing, we can't move it to SD. If the devs at Telstra are reading this thread, the solve is simple: Do each part as a separate downloadable app from the Market, and make the monolithic pre-installed app able to be uninstalled. Jenifur Charne
gregoryopera

I have over 120 applications installed on my Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY ("PlayStation phone") and some of those applications include widgets... But they come with a warning in the description that widgets will not work if the application is installed to removeable media.

There are two simple things Telstra could with TelstraOne- include such a warning in the description, or offer two seperate versions, one with widgets and one without... It wouldn't work for me because I use the weather widget heavily, but it might work for a lot of other people and help to explain to customers why it has to be installed to the internal memory.

gerdschenkel
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We have an official iPhone app in a limited consumer release at the moment, and other platforms' apps are in development.

expect broad release in 2012
Gerd Schenkel
Telstra Digital
Dallas

I have an iPad 3 and I want an app that will tell me data usage by day. Telstra is a big company so i am amazed that an app is not already available. Please Gerd Schenkel can you get this app working for your valued customers ASAP.
gregoryopera

Check out "myUsage":
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmengler.myusage

It's a third-party application that supports the accounts of just about every company you can name, including those outside of the telecommunications industry... It also supports the "pre-paid" variant, where applicable.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Dallas wrote:
I have an iPad 3 and I want an app that will tell me data usage by day. Telstra is a big company so i am amazed that an app is not already available. Please Gerd Schenkel can you get this app working for your valued customers ASAP.

Telstra 24x7 for iPad was released onto the App Store a few days ago I think.... I've been running it and it gives me a rundown of my usage.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

gregoryopera

And what about TelstraOne for Android, which nearly a year ago was promised by Telstra in multiple places to be updated with support for pre-paid data usage?

Telstra is a brilliant and under-appreciated telecommunications company, but their application development and management is an absolute joke, and clearly full of bias towards Apple products...

Dallas

Had a look at the Telstra 24/7 app and the data usage is days old and not up to date. The app states that it is accurate within 4 hours but that is a load of rubbish. I have been able to prove that Telstra has no way of accurately monitoring data usage and providing their customers with usage information in a timely fashion. Went to the TIO and have come to an agreement with Telstra that I will not pay any excess data usage fees until they get their stuff sorted out. This app was supposed to be their solution with data usage accurate to within 30 minutes. The data usage information is still days behind!!! It really amases me that a massive company like telstra can't do a simple thing like track data usage accurately???? WTF...
Dallas

Had a look at the Telstra 24/7 app and the data usage is days old and not up to date. The app states that it is accurate within 4 hours but that is a load of rubbish. I have been able to prove that Telstra has no way of accurately monitoring data usage and providing their customers with usage information in a timely fashion. This app was supposed to be their solution with data usage accurate to within 30 minutes. The data usage information is still days behind!!! It really amases me that a massive company like telstra can't do a simple thing like track data usage accurately???? WTF...
gregoryopera

Check out the myUsage application I mentioned above, Dallas - I use it and it seems to work quite well for me...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit