Ianford147
Level 5: Eagle Eye

factory reset

Can anyone please explain exactly what happens when one performs a 'factory reset'. Is the google back up option the one that stores all ya data so ya don't have to sign into everything all over? I'm losing battery quicker than a HQ Holden with a busted starter motor!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: factory reset

Can anyone please explain exactly what happens when one performs a 'factory reset'.
The device is brought back to a state with only the configuration settings and pre-installed apps that are in the firmware, and from the operating system's point of view, no user has registered himself/herself, changed anything (including settings, home screen and applications pages layouts, etc.) or use the device in any way. All customisations, user-installed apps and data files will be wiped, and no accounts would be set up ready to use on the device after a factory reset.

Essentially, imagine you received a refurbished replacement device that is running the same version of firmware (i.e. you don't get downgraded) on yours just prior to the factory reset.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ianford147
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Double Drat! Ha ha thanks for info. Got to many things to remember to be doin that. Can you also tell me if there are any real big benefits to doing a factory reset?
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

a factory reset should help to determine if your battery problems are software or hardware related, if it's software it should sort it, if it's hardware you'd be looking at a warranty issue or battery replacement perhaps
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Ianford147 wrote:
Can you also tell me if there are any real big benefits to doing a factory reset?

It undoes anything that you may inadvertently have done by don't remember doing, and so eliminates the possibility of any adverse impact that was introduced by the user (i.e. you) for the purposes of diagnosis. If, after the factory reset, performance and reliability issues persist, then you can more confidently make a warranty claim that the product, as supplied and used in the expected manner, is not fit for purpose.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit