Anisique
Level 1: Cadet

GALAXY S5 mm-qcamera-daemon bug on 4.4.2 and others...

Hi All,

Reasonably long time reader but first time poster... I got my Galaxy S5 from Telstra in about May of this year. In the past few weeks I have noticed that the phone heats up considerably, camera fails to initialize and battery usage goes through the roof. Quick look at the battery usage of the phone shows the mm-qcamera-daemon bug at work...

Very quick search reveals that the mm-qcamera-daemon bug understood and was a problem with 4.4.2 OS for the Galaxy S series. I have had multiple chats with Telstra online chat which have consistently told me to restart the phone or even flash it - When with a quick search it would reveal that this is a OS problem. Flashing the phone will not help that. It is widely accepted that this problem does affect EVERY device and is consistent with a device where apps are using the camera (Skype, Snapchat etc).

Others say - well just delete those apps. This really is not an option when you use Skype for instance for work purposes. Why shoudl the customer have to stop using a world wide app because their provider will not release the software update to 4.4.3 or even 4.4.4?

Now that 5.0 is being released - How long is that gong to take? I understand that Telstra must test the updates and how they fair with their network but surely this shoudl not take months and months... I mean, this is the root of all phones!

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-Software-Updates-21-11-2014/td-p/397459 reveals that the S5 is due for release sometime in December because they found an issue and sent it back to Samsung. I get it and that's fine but what is this update? I find this page almost useless because for any phone it does not (other than tell you it is Android) tell you what update it is. All those running Android are not on the same one - Why not show that and what the next one is going to be.

Is the one in December 4.4.3, 4.4.4 or did Telstra just skip those and go straight to 5.0 as this is due to be ready for release to the Telcos for implementation by December as reported by CNET.com.au

At the end of the day - This problem (along with others that are on other phones as well - this is not just a Samsung Galaxy S5 update issue) is one that customers and consumers get tired off when their telecommunications company (the biggest in the country) does not have the necessary resources to support all the software upgrades to all the phones. The Telstra network cannot be that different from others that these releases do not work with it...

ANy help, support, information that either a moderator or person can provide, suggest would be much appreciated. If anything, this may highlight a few issues with processes and look to update the handset Software Update page to better tell the customer what is actually happening with software updates.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
beetle84
Level 15: Special Agent

Re: GALAXY S5 mm-qcamera-daemon bug on 4.4.2 and others...

I would almost guarantee its not lollipop, telstra and samsung australia dont work that fast.
DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Hi there Anisque I think you need to bring a few things into proper perspective here.

Telstra don't manufacture the phones, they are simply a retailer at the end of the day.

Telstra don't manufacture the operating systems, eg. IOS, Windows or android.

Telstra do operate the network system and rightfully so want to ensure that the phones and their firmware are fully compatible and operating as smoothly as possible with the Telstra network. Better to have a delay and get everything right rather than having people screaming from the rooftops about problem after problem.

Telstra rely on the manufacturers to supply them with updates for pre release testing and more often than not the schedule will indicate if there is a major upgrade eg; ice cream sandwich; Jelly bean etc. etc. On occasions the upgrade might be designated as in the instance here as a bug fix or might be allocated number, but again may not receive a number as a rejected and returned  to manufacturer submission could involved a new numbered designation.

One thing you can depend on is, at the end of the day when all the bugs are sorted you should receive from Telstra the latest that is supplied from the manufacturer, Samsung, and a smooth ride with your phone.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Anisique

And like I said... I am more than happy and accept that testing must be done prior to it going 'live' on the network - I have a computer programming background so I get it.

My points are all still valid though - My biff to start with is the time that it takes to get these updates tested and ready to go 'live' on the network. 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 have been released from Samsung now for over 6 months... Let that sink in a little... 6 months!

Not for a complete rebuild, not for a MAJOR upgrade but for a sub set of the 4.4 OS for bug fixes. Nothing special!

My other points are related to customer awareness of the updates - which is why I wsa suprised that this post wsa moved to Android when in essence my points are not just Android related (my fault in particular is) but the root cause and problem that I am tryign to identify with Telstra is global phone software related.

wiisey

I totally agree Ansique, this bug is so debilitating.

I have to charge my S5 constantly, and it's new - at least twice a day, and I would say I use the phone minimally.

This camera daemon issue drains the battery, makes the phone hot, forces the camera to fail, they all need to be fixed.

The other stupid issue that Telstra has meddled with is in the language settings. They have greyed out all the "Notification Readout" options so people cannot select their own level of privacy.

The latest update fixed none of these issues.

What a joke.

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

Has your phone been made capable of App storage on to the external Micro SD Card?????

MINE HAS!!!!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
wdtvandsound

I know it's a pain. But taking the battery out of the phone and then back in (power it back up again) each morning will do a soft reset and the battery in my case will last all day untill a fix arrives.

Give that a try.

good luck.

I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
7G
Level 3: Gumshoe

Have I got a fix for you! The S6 is out next month /sarcasm.

Just imagine if your $10 pm new phone feeling application got turned down because you failed the fully functioning battery criteria, because of this sudden battery drain and overheating of the last few weeks that appears to have coincided with a Telstra android software update.

Since Telstra Crowd Support is not advising its customers to take their S5 phone in/send their phones off for investigative repairs under warranty with this apparent Android Telstra update issue, or advising customers on which apps are causing the issue, I'm not expecting to fail the new phone feeling fully functioning battery criteria, if one way or another, the problem does not get resolved before my 12 months is up on my S5 and the S6 is available.Telstra's lack of responses in these forums are very reassuring in this regard.

Although I am inclined to switch back to an iPhone (6+) ASAP, partly inspired by the issue with getting the latest android updates in a timely manner from Telstra.

Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Have you tried flashing 5.0 on it, it has considerable updates since 4.4.2. It may well and truly fix the issues you're experiencing.

My Wife had a Galaxy S5 for a month and never experienced the issue, so never came across a fix. Only thing I could think of is updating the OS. 5 is leaps and bounds over 4.

wdtvandsound

Just imagine if your $10 pm new phone feeling application got turned down because you rooted the phone before Lollypop became available!!!

wiisey

Perhaps if the release was available it would help.

When is Telstra expecting to release it?

Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

wdtvandsound wrote:

Just imagine if your $10 pm new phone feeling application got turned down because you rooted the phone before Lollypop became available!!!

Unroot it and flash a stock ROM before using the new phone feeling. Simple.

loa

Hello there. I have samsung s5 i got same problem im Tmobile user from macedonia in europe. had kitkat that process mm qcamera daemon, upgrade to lollipop but its same i still have it. Want to say that lollipop wont fix that problem. Was teading lot on net different forums so far there is no fix.
Gaz170
Level 3: Gumshoe

Updating to lollipop only made my S5 worse. Camera either uses all the battery or doesn't work.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit