Mrev
Level 2: Rookie

Galaxy Watch4 Telstra One Number stopped working

Hi folks, would love your help!

Samsung Galaxy Watch4 LTE paired with Pixel 4a (5g) and,

Samsung Galaxy Watch4 LTE paired with Pixel 4a

My partner and I have separate Telstra plans, and both had Telstra One Number working on our Galaxy Watch4. It stopped working on both watches, possibly around the time of the 7 November watch OS update. The watch menu indicated an 'unknown' mobile plan, which wouldn't connect. I removed it and tried to re-add it and it will not re-add. I have tried resetting the watch multiple times. I have tried uninstalling the Watch plugin on android and reinstalling. I have tried Telstra support multiple times and they have 'reset' Telstra One Number. Nothing has worked so far. Any time I try to add One Number it just times out.

Cheers,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
51 REPLIES 51
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Galaxy Watch4 Telstra One Number stopped working

Sounds like it might be a glitch with devices that are connected via non-Samsung phones.

My Watch 4 LTE is paired with a Galaxy Note 10+5G and it is still working after the update.

You might need to update the Galaxy Wearable app,  Galaxy Watch 4 plugin and Samsung Accessory Service on your Pixel, restart your phone and try again.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mrev

I really appreciate your answer, Jupiter. I think you're probably right, but I haven't had luck with the solutions today. I'm thinking that getting a Samsung phone might be the easiest fix   Cheers

Firat
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the same issue. Did you end up getting this sorted out?

Mrev

Ah I wondered if others had the issue - can I ask what phone you're using and if it stopped working about a week ago?

No solution yet - the Level 2 Samsung technician's only idea was to try testing it with a Samsung phone (which I don't have). I reckon we'd be entitled to return the watch since their website still says it works with any Android phone on Telstra (but only Telstra) but the problem is I really like the watch! So I might end up getting a Samsung phone..

Alexander289

I am also having the same issue, got off talking to both samsung and telstra and they keep telling me to go back and forth between them for an answer

Mrev

Pretty frustrating! Can I ask what phone you're using Alexander?

Alexander289

Pixel 5, i was told that factory resetting my phone would solve the issue, but i dont want to factory reset it incase it dosen't work

MiguelMisha

Don't bother! Everything I've been told to factory reset thus far hasn't fixed anything, good chance that might not be a solution.

Mrev

Hey Miguel, do you have a Pixel too? Would be interesting if it's just Pixels.

MiguelMisha

Yes, pixel 5 Mrev.

I noticed the same thing as you and was bounced between Samsung and Tesltra last week. I lost count of the number of times I unpaired/reset my watch and tried to reconnect.

Eventually, Telstra advised that it was a potential network problem and raised a ticket for their technicians to trouble shoot. 

Their latest advice, from Saturday, was to reset and unpair the watch and phone while they establish a new one plus connection and for me to try again in 24 hours to reconnect. I tried again after the 24 hours and surprise surprise, no fix.

Definitely getting to a very frustrating point now.

Jupiter

I swapped my wife's watch over from a Note10+5G to an S21 Ultra on Saturday and it took 20 minutes and my watch on a Note10+5G is working fine.

It definitely sounds more like an issue with the software on the Pixel than a Telstra network problem.

Have you upgraded to Android 12 yet? It could be an incompatibility with the addons that are required on non-Samsung phones and Android 12 if that is the case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MiguelMisha

I'm starting to think the same Jupiter thanks to some of this feedback. Although, painfully, none of the manufacturers/service providers seems to be able to confirm yet. 

Yes, Android 12 upgraded and all apps are running latest software too. 

Mrev

So far it's all pixels. I found someone on a Verizon forum in the US with the same issue (Android 12 Beta). I now think my partner's connection stopped working when her phone upgraded to Android 12. Interestingly I'm still stuck on Android 12 Beta 5, and it was working, and then stopped working, so I'm wondering if it was something in the Samsung plugins that changed which stopped them working with Android 12 on non-Samsung phones.

MiguelMisha

Interesting indeed.

Will be following up with Telstra later today, will keep you posted. Let me know if you stumble across a fix before that!

Dpopey
Level 3: Gumshoe

very happy to come across this thread. i was getting consistant (choose the sim to use with your watch) notifications so i thought i reset would fix it and stop the error but instead i no longer am able to get it to work at all.

i think its more to it as i also am having issues sending "chats" in messages and have to turn off mobile network then on again to get messages to send properly (or i can send them as "text messages")

unsure if its a Google Issue or Telstra, i was leaning on Telstra since when i'm on WiFi "chats" work as intended its only when on Mobile data it plays up and was thinking it might be related to why my watch is now not pairing with my Telstra One Number.

Mrev

interesting - is that on a Pixel on Android 12? I haven't had any SMS chat features issues so I couldn't say if that's related.

Also for everyone's interest I noticed that Watch Plugin4 was updated on 12 November, which is the right timing for being a culprit, but when I sideloaded the previous version this didn't fix it.

Alexander289

I've now swapped out my watch for a new one with JBHIFI and still i cant get my watch to connect, i was told to try my sim in another phone, and also just to try another phone with a different sim in it. This is getting extremely frustrating especially after going into 2 different telstra stores and both saying they have no idea what is happening

Mrev

That's super frustrating. You're still using the new watch with a Pixel 5? So far the common problem seems to be pixel phones.

JBRR

I've got the exact same problem - galaxy watch4 classic and Pixel 5 running Android 12. I got a notification a little while after my phone updated stating that was an issue with my number/plan on my watch. I tired to reset up the watch but the galaxy wear app times out during contacting the provider step of cellular setup.

I spent a few hours at the local Telstra store troubleshooting. Tried both an eSIM and a new physical sim in the phone, with no success. We then tried on a Samsung running an older Android and had no issues. 

The problem very much seems to be related to Android 12. The Telstra tech told me that the problem should be resolved in the future when Samsung rolls Android 12 out to their phones. 

It would be great to get a statement from Samsung on this issue as it seems that the galaxy wear application (and watch 4 driver) haven't been updated to Android 12 correctly. I'll also note that Samsung does list the current generation of Pixel phones as supported devices, so there should be no need to switch to Samsung phones....

Bambuflute

Hi, It's not just Pixel phones. My partner just purchased Watch4 LTE and paired it with her Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G. We added the one number account and it appeared to work at first, but then we got a message saying that it was cancelled because our plan was incompatible. We upgraded the plan and reinstalled the One Number plan at the Telstra store with a rep. It appeared to be working, but then it stopped working the next day. Now the Samsung Wear app gives a message saying that  our plan has been cancelled again. We have checked that all apps and plugins are up to date. Nothing works. Very frustrating. Cheers

Jupiter

What plan is she on, an Upfront Plan or one of the Older ones?

SJ66

I've got the same issue. Galaxy watch 4 with Pixel 6.

Have spent hours on it. Was planning to go to a Telstra store but not sure I'll bother now after reading these posts. 

I get an error code 3001.

Would love to hear if anyone has sorted it out...

JBRR

Hi, I spent hours tinkering with mine. Two phone calls to Telstra and a long visit to a Telstra store.

My solution was to pick up a cheap Samsung phone, temporarily move my Sim to the Samsung, setup the cellular and watch, and then switch the Sim back to my pixel and pair the watch back to the pixel. The cellular configuration will persist when resetting up the watch if you use the "connect to a new/different phone option".

I've had the cellular working on my watch and connected to my pixel for about 2 weeks now without issue.

Mrev

Thanks JBRR! My solution was to get a Samsung phone - but this might help me fix my partner's watch

SJ66

Hi JBRR.

I tried this today. Got my watch set up with an old Samsung phone and the Tesltra one number worked. But when I went back to my Pixel I got the same old issue - initial error code 4001, then when I retry 3001.

Did you restore watch from backup? I did and am wondering if this was the issue?

I'll try yet again, but if you have any other advice I would appreciate it.

thanks

Mike1986

Same problem with me, though Android version 11 not 12 - Pixel 3. 

The One.Number was working initially but then all of a sudden stopped. Tried re-connecting and no luck. Have spent multiple calls with tech people who haven't been able to help - they told me to go into a store but after reading this I'll hold off.

It's crazy that the solution is to but a Samsung phone... the reason I bought the Galaxy Watch AND moved to Telstra was because of the One.Number option and now it doesn't work. And clearly it hasn't worked for a month without solution. Very frustrating.

MiguelMisha

Hi mate,

When you reconnected to your pixel did you do it just via Bluetooth or did you also reconnect using the galaxy wear app on your pixel? I tried to do the latter but it didn't quite workout. 

Bambuflute

Jupiter, We upgraded the plan after we had the initial problem. It was an older 4G postpaid plan on a Samsung S8, and Telstra said the plan was not compatible, and we were going to upgrade to a 5G plan for the S21+5G anyway, so we went with a medium 5G postpaid. The watch works fine on Bluetooth, but 4G eSIM reception is the issue. I've given up trying to get it to work. The Samsung Wear app still says the One Number is not connected, and the app wanted to uninstall the plan, after it had been setup by the Telstra shop. We have not received the first bill for One Number yet, so I will look at it again after that. Cheers

sweetszzz

I am having the same problem on a pixel 4. Sounds like the 2 hours I spent this morning were a waste of my time. Maybe I'll have to keep my iPhone as much as it pains me..

SJ66

Hi everyone. I actually got mine to work in the end. Set up galaxy watch 4 with an old Samsung phone, the connected watch back to Pixel 6. It didn't look like it was working at first, but after trying a few different things went into settings, connections, mobile networks - scroll down to mobile plans and the Telstra One number plan was there but turned off. Changed.to ON and it all worked

So very frustrating but got there in the end. Hope this helps!

Jto12

We are having the same issue. 2 Pixel 6 phones on a BYO JB plan with Telstra, with new Watch 4s, on Android 12. No luck getting a Telstra One number set up, and we have never had a Samsung phone to trial a set up on it. Did you back it up and then restore the back up? 

SJ66

I'm also on an amazing old JB hi-fi plan. We had an old Samsung A12 ( I think) that we bought for our son a few years ago from Officeworks. It was about $250. I wonder if you could pick up a really cheap old one from eBay or borrow one?? 

I did have a back up which I restored after finally discovering the plan was connected.

I tried so many things, it's all a bit blurry. But I'm pretty sure it looked like the plan failed to reconnect when I went through the steps on the wear app, but when I went into the settings as described on previous post it was connected but switched off... 

Jto12

It worked!! I used my brother's S20 with my sim inserted to connect the watch after first clearing its data (and backing up), skipping most set up steps but just doing the Telstra one sign up. Then I reinserted my sim into my pixel 6 and followed watch prompts to connect to a new phone in the watch communication settings. I had to delete the galaxy wearable app and the watch4 plugin app to be able to register it again (because my phone remembered my watch from earlier)… then the new set up worked. Just had to skip the set up of the phone connection to sim in initialisation and then restore my backups and enable mobile connection from the settings in the watch itself. 

A very tedious workaround but glad it worked! 

Jto12

An update to this: this morning I couldn't activate LTE on the smart watch nor on the wearable app although it could still see the information from the plan. Looks like it has lost it again. Back to square one. 

SJ66

I've just checked and have the same - says 'connect your watch to the phone with the number you were using before, then try again'

Ridiculously frustrating...

MiguelMisha

Same for me too, no longer connected. 

sweetszzz

I activated my watch yesterday at about 6pm. Still working this morning. Fingers crossed but I am not hopeful based on these reports.

I was running modded Samsung Wearables and Samsung Health Monitor apps but the watch apks would have been lost in the reset and pairing process. (PS this was only to enable BP and ECG on my pixel. The way Samsung have feature locked functions to their phones is wrong)

MiguelMisha

JBRR, do you still have a link to that page where Samsung list the pixel as a supported device?

JBRR

Hi Miguel, I'm unable to find the original phone compatibility page. (Only the out of date one for previous generations). However, It should be noted that the user manual does imply compatibility with non Samsung phones.

JBRR

I've also had this message come up - just forcefully reboot the watch and it will continue working. (Just do not press the button in the prompt as this seems to clear the eSIM configuration).

sweetszzz

Specs page lists:

Compatible with Android 6.0 or higher, RAM 1.5GB above

Device activation is only available after connecting to a smartphone that supports Google Mobile Services(GMS).

Really any android phone, even the cheap $50 phones.

Has anyone followed up with Samsung re this issue. Telstra have been no help it seems. 

tom175

So in summary it looks like the "setup on a Samsung solution" doesn't really work, as the LTE service will eventually deactivate on the new phone. I also experienced this, and was only able to get it to work for about an hour or so before it deactivated.

I agree this should definitely be raised with Samsung. Although it's not an issue on Telstra's side, it would be great if they could be the ones to raise the issue on behalf of their customers, as it may put some extra priority behind it.

MiguelMisha

Has this issue been resolved or not yet? 

Mrev

Nope. My girlfriend's watch still didn't work with her pixel 4a last time I tried.

I would suggest returning the watch, unless you really want to wait it out or get a Samsung phone.

ReubenFarrelly1

No, it is not fixed.

I have (had?) a case open with Telstra about it as I was getting the 4001 code too.  Two techs I have spoken to have told me that they have a dedicated team to deal with this problem as it is a known issue.  But I haven't heard from them for 10 days now.

Here's one thing I did find out which I think is very interesting.  I am using a Pixel 6 as my phone and I cannot get the plan page to come up when attempting to add One Number to it via the Wear app.  However....I borrowed a Samsung A22 phone and paired my watch to that with the Wear app and everything worked straight away.  I was able to add a mobile plan (One Number) to the watch and it worked immediately and completely as expected.

It seems to have fallen back to Emergency Only calls now if I put my phone into Airplane mode, so presumably something disabled it on the network (wasn't me...).

I am pretty certain there is some sort of barring or restriction on Telstra's network which is preventing it from working.  4001 is an authorisation error which further suggests this is the cause of the problem and it is not the watch or phone itself but the carrier that is causing this to occur.  And the fact that Telstra know about that error and have a team to deal with it suggests further that is the case.

Why it is taking so long to fix is anyones guess.

SJ66

Same with me. Works temporarily if I swap to Samsung phone to turn on, but after 2 days paired back with Pixel it turns itself off again. Was planning to go to a Samsung store, but currently avoiding shopping centres. I had a quick look at Samsung online support, but it wasn't immediately obvious how to contact them. 

MiguelMisha

Interesting indeed ! I was wondering why Telstra were paying so much attention to the issue instead of blaming either of the manufacturers of the watch or the phone. Speculative but a plausible theory indeed. 

sweetszzz

I have been able to keep it activated constantly. I was getting the popups on my phone and the back or home button allowed me to skip. I had to shutdown my phone once from the settings menu to avoid the carrier onboarding process. Haven't had the message in about 10 days now.

May buy the new S22 phone just to avoid these issues, or return it. Unfortunately there isn't a better android watch out at the moment. 

Melissa057

I am having the same issue and feel disappointed reading this. I am already disappointed with the watch as I take it off charge at 7am and get home from work at 5.30pm with a flat watch, I was under the impression that linking the telstra one number might solve this issue, as it isn't constantly searching for bluetooth signal. I have the pixel 6 and galaxy watch 4, getting the 4001 error code followed by the 3001 when I retry

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit