Chuc
Level 1: Cadet

Google pay with telstra

I have been using my telstra account to pay for a few of my subscriptions through Google pay. Its been working well for over a year but these last couple days I have gotten a message saying payment rejected and the telstra pay option is red and say unavailable.

Any help with this would be great. 

Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Google pay with telstra

That is correct. It is currently not available. There has been no word on when or if it will become available again.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Luke_Groves
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hey @Chuc 

The ability to charge 3rd party purchases to your Telstra account has been removed; this includes the Google Play Store. 

There is no intention of this feature coming back at this stage. 

Luke |
Moving House: https://www.telstra.com.au/moving-house
Got a Fault: https://fix.telstra.com/
Need Contact: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us
Toriee
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Chuc

From March 31 2021, you can no longer apply Google play Store charges to your Telstra bill. You'll see an error message in the Google Play Store asking for an alternate payment method, and Google have sent affected customers an email explaining the change.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter

@Toriee 

When did Telstra send an email to customers notifying them of the change? I can't find one in my emails.

I haven't received one from Google letting me know that it is no longer an option either. It just became a greyed out option in Google Play one day.

(Note: I did receive one about the changes to Telstra Air access)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
grumpys7
Level 2: Rookie

This is awful comms work, Telstra. Your own helpdesk didnt even know. I spent half a day trying to get this fixed. I don't care "who was supposed to" email. Neither of you did. And still haven't. 

Why are you removing a service which is standard across all carriers? Why are my subscriptions failing left and right with no warning and no information when i contact Telstra? This is an insane move which hinders customers. This service is available on Optus and Vodaphone. 

Why is it not available to Telstra customers?

Toriee
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Jupiter

As far as I'm aware there wasn't any communication email sent out from Telstra directly, but Google should have notified impacted customers. 

Should read something like this: On March 31st, 2021 Telstra will no longer be available as a form of payment on the Google Play Store. You won’t be able to charge Play Google Play – Telstra Direct Carrier Billing Exit Our Knowledge Customer Communications purchases, including your subscriptions, to your Telstra mobile phone bill. If you use Telstra as your primary payment method for subscriptions, update your payment method to prevent any interruptions. Learn how to update your payment method for subscriptions. You can also add other forms of payment methods to your Google Play account. Learn what other payment methods you can add. We appreciate you as a valued customer and thank you for your support for Google. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter

Given that is a change in conditions for existing Telstra plans, shouldn't Telstra have given customers 3 days notice (the time period in the Customer Terms for changes of a minor detrimental nature)? It shouldn't have been left up to Google - unless they were the ones to make the change with zero days notice to Telstra - to notify customers of a change instigated by Telstra that changes the conditions of a Telstra enabled service.

angeskye
Level 1: Cadet

This is terrible, I signed a contract with Telstra and this one of the factors that makes me stay with them. No warning, no message from anyone. What an absolute joke.  

Edit: all the Google Play payment info is still on their website, no mention at all that this service has ceased. Terrible customer service as always.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit