Rocketgirl21
Level 1: Cadet

Google pay

I have a telstra t86 and have tried to put zip pay onto goole pay but have this message i purchased this as a used phone

Message reads

“Couldnt finish set up pay in shops

This phone cant be used to pay in shops. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Google pay

That is quite possible. Google Pay does not like rooted devices (as it compromises the security that is required by the financial institutions).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rocketgirl21
Level 1: Cadet

What does it mean though

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Basically it means that the standard operating system for the phone, has been replaced a different version which Android Pay does not recognise. Because that might make the device less secure, Google Pay will not let it set up correctly.  The firmware replacement process is called 'rooting' because it allows access toi portions of the operating system that are not usually available to the average user. Quite often, the process of rooting a device makes it difficult to return to a standard operating system which for the T86 Android 9.

You can try going to Settings | System | About Phone to see wHat operating system and build number is installed on the phone..

You can also go to Settings | System | System Update and see if you can do a firmware update that way, but I suspect it would be unlikely..

Another thing to try wouls be a Factory Reset - Settings | System |Reset Options | Erase All Data (this means exactly what it says) and see if the device will go back to the original firmware, but again I suspect it won't...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit