Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hoax Calls

Answered

Hi, I have been contacted by someone who is receiving calls from my number but I am not making those calls.  She sounds like an elderly lady and is not comfortable with taking my instructions to block my number. I'm at a loss as to what to do because contacting a human being at Telstra at the moment is nigh on impossible at the moment. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Hoax Calls

There really isn't anything that you can do. Spoofing a Caller ID is relatively easy (and not actually illegal to do in Australia unless it is being done for the purposes of fraud - a little bit of a gap in the law there). Telstra can't block those calls very easily.

If she calls you back, you could direct her to call the Unwelcome Calls Team at Telstra and they might be able to assist her.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

There really isn't anything that you can do. Spoofing a Caller ID is relatively easy (and not actually illegal to do in Australia unless it is being done for the purposes of fraud - a little bit of a gap in the law there). Telstra can't block those calls very easily.

If she calls you back, you could direct her to call the Unwelcome Calls Team at Telstra and they might be able to assist her.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Jupiter.  I'll let her know but she is (understandably) pretty frustrated with "me" at the moment.  I feel like a helpdesk person - "I'm just trying to help, honest I am." ;-)

Highlighted
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi @Tag4 please contact our unwelcome calls team as we can indeed assist you with this if it is still happening. Our contact information should come up in the signature and if you can email us with your details and that your number is being spoofed. 

@Jupiter is right that in that spoofing is a relatively easy thing to do, but we can help you (her if she also contacts us).

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us online: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/UNWELCOME-CALLS-INITIAL-ENQUIRY-FORM."

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit