Col_L
Level 4: Private Eye

HTC Desire Software Update

I know I am a luddite but I still use an old HTC Desire and while I hate it, it still works...

Yesterday, for the first time in years I got a software update advice, note that this phone is still officially on Android 2.2! So I went through the update process and it advises "Not enough memory, remove unused applications" - good grief I only have 4 applications as this phone won't use the 16G card installed to store Apps. Anyway I deleted a few Apps and repeated the process and it does the upgrade to 2.26.841.3. then just to rub salt into the wound it clears all my Apps anyway - why ask if it is going to do that!!!

All that fun aside can anyone tell me what this update contains and why suddenly after years of no updates one comes out of the blue? I can only assume that the bugfix was serious enough to get HTC and Telstra to do it years after the android version was declared closed.

I did the old Google search and I got onto the HTC Dev Centre page and sure enough it has this update at the top of the list. I downloaded it to my Mac in the hope it would give version notes but no such luck it is just the firmware and a TXT file on how to install it. One interesting thing is that it says the phone is on Android 2.3 with version 2.26.841.3 but the phone reports it is Android 2.2 which seems more correct based on the detailed version number.

All information will be appreciated.

One further note, this update doesn't even appear on the official Telstra Update list!!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Col_L

Re: HTC Desire Software Update

Well, 1 week and still no info, surely there is someone out there who knows something. As the update is "managed" by Telstra someone in Mobile Engineering should have an answer.

prx
Level 1: Cadet

I received this update notification last night.  Given the time since the last update, I thought I should see if I could find something official regarding the update.  This seems to be the only thread that I can find.

Have you managed to work out if there is any difference yet?

I think I will hold off installing the update until I can find out a bit more about it.

Col_L

prx,

I have installed the update and haven't noticed any problems or in fact any "improvements". The one good thing was that it cleared a lot of my Apps during the update install and when I reinstalled them I ended up with more RAM left over so I can only assume that the phone needed a "clean-out" anyway. If only I coulkd delete a lot of the HTC Apps that are cluttering it up.

Since my first posting I sent a question to HTC but have heard nothing, to be honest I didn't expect a reply as HTC must be at the bottom of the barrel wrt customer support.

Col.

prx
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Col_L

Sounds like there is no good reason to upgrade.  I will wait and see if more information arrives.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit