hermoine
Level 1: Cadet

HTC One no internet access when linked to a laptop via wifi, cable or bluetooth

I have a new HTC One which I want to use as a way of connecting my laptop to the Internet.

I can connect the phone and laptop successfully by any of three ways: via Bluetooth, using the wifi hotspot, and using the USB cable, but in all cases although the connection is made, it won't give me internet access.

My laptop is a Toshiba, running Windows 7. In the Network and Sharing Centre, the connection (of whichever sort) shows up in the "active networks" area but with "No Internet Access"  beside "Access type". In the picture at the top of the same screen there is a big red cross through the internet connection.

I can use an iPhone5 to connect the laptop to the internet without a problem (except that it is someone else's phone, and therefore not always available!)

I've spent hours (literally) on the phone to Telstra without getting a solution.

Does anyone know what I have to do to the phone and/or the laptop to get Internet access when they are connected? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: HTC One no internet access when linked to a laptop via wifi, cable or bluetooth

http://www.htc.com/au/support/howto.aspx?p_id=441&id=181048&p_name=htc-one-xl

Support - ‎HTC One XL‎

Sharing your phone's Internet connection by USB tethering
No Internet connection available for your computer? No problem. Use the data connection of HTC One XL to connect to the Internet.

Important:
To make sure that the USB drivers for HTC One XL are up-to-date, install the latest version of HTC Sync Manager on your computer.
Make sure a SIM card with a data plan is inserted in HTC One XL.
You may need to have USB tethering added to your data plan, and it may incur additional cost. Contact your mobile service provider for details.
Make sure that mobile data is turned on.
Go to Settings, and then under Wireless & networks, tap More.
Tap Mobile network sharing > USB network setting > USB tethering.
Tip: If you often switch between USB tethering and Internet pass-through, select Smart network sharing to automatically turn on the connection type you need whenever you connect HTC One XL with your computer.
Connect HTC One XL to your computer using the provided USB cable. The next time HTC One XL connects to a computer, it will remember your settings.

Hope that quick search helped 😉

Cheers,
Dave

CableBeach
Level 2: Rookie

Re: HTC One no internet access when linked to a laptop via wifi, cable or bluetooth

Hermoine, did you ever work out the solution to this? I have the same problem. I wonder if it has to do with the phone initially being on an optus plan and now its on telstra prepaid? IE locked settings of some kind? issue only started after upgrading to latest android 5.0.1

CableBeach
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Anyone Interested,

If you are a user of the HTC One M8 this may resolve - or at least explain your issue.

So my HTC phone was originally an optus corporate phone, now on the telstra pre-paid network.

There must be some hidden network settings locked to Optus as now I am on the Optus pre-paid network and I can once again share my hotspot (and i'm also no longer getting a data drop-out at various locations like St Leonards station).

I feel there must be some important settings that the user does not have access to that the networks set up on these phones when purchased.

thanks,

CableBeach.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit