random111
Level 1: Cadet

HTC SENSATION ICS UPDATE

I'm so sick of waiting for this update.

It's been pushed back three months in a row now and there is no sight of when it will be available!

Android jelly bean will be out soon, by the time ICS is out its features will already be outdated!

Anyone know when it is coming out??? My phone is very unstable on gingerbread, keep getting the white screen with HTC logo after exiting any app. Its very frustrating, I really want to see if the ICS update will fix this, if not I will have to investigate getting a new phone.

The smartphone software update table on the Telstra website hasn't changed for a month with regards to the sensation.

Telstra: we don't care about the rom or third party apps you insist on installing on top of sense and android. I'd take the raw version of ICS now over the telstra stuff any day of the week!!!!

HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Droidful

Re: HTC SENSATION ICS UPDATE

Here's how it will play out... they list the 'resolution' as happening in June. In a little while they'll change that to read... wait for it... July

decoy_dan
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Droidful wrote:

Here's how it will play out... they list the 'resolution' as happening in June. In a little while they'll change that to read... wait for it... July

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what will happen  Man Frustrated

I was surprised that they didn't just do it the other day when they did their monthly update on that page to add some new devices to the top of it.

The thing that really boggles my mind is what on earth the major "issues" were ... because it was over a month ago when I gave up waiting, rooted my sensation and installed the (unbranded) stock ICS rom that HTC released for Europe. Over a month of daily use and the only bug I found was a strange (but well documented) bug with launching url links into the browser (on 1st attempt it opens the previously sent url instead, you go back try again and it works). Hardly a show stopper ... just install Chrome beta anyway, lol.

Honestly, at this point I couldn't care less about the ROM itself and just want to flash it to get the ics firmware that is intended (sorry I can't say "optimised" with a straight face) for Telstra Next G networks. Then I can combine that with CyanogenMod9 and the Bricked-v3.0 kernel for some sweet AOSP goodness. Seriously loving CM9 right now ... it is like a whole new phone (even with the non-telstra ics firmware). 

Like the OP suggested, it now looks like Google are going to launch JellyBean before we even get ICS. How sad is that?

random111

I think I will be going down a similar path.

However I was looking at purchasing the sensation xe or xl or a newer htc with more ram as this one lags sometimes.

I think I need to investigate how to root my phone and install the unbranded software on it. Im worried about bricking the phone though.

Still nothing from Telstra.

Seriously how hard is it, if there are hundreds of people out there developing their own custom ROM's etc, surely Telstra with its hoards of employees could do the same in a couple of days!!!!!!

decoy_dan

@random111 wrote:

I think I will be going down a similar path.

However I was looking at purchasing the sensation xe or xl or a newer htc with more ram as this one lags sometimes.

Newer HTC (i.e. getting a One X/XL) then yes, but don't go to any of the other Sensations unless you want to be stuck without Next G signal (they are shutting down the 2100MHz band so the XE/XL sensations will be useless on Telstra). 

But actually the memory in the Sensation is quite adequate (when used properly). That Gingerbread rom is just extremely old and not very well optimised.

@random111 wrote:

I think I need to investigate how to root my phone and install the unbranded software on it. Im worried about bricking the phone though.

It really isn't that complicated but you do have to make sure you follow the guides carefully and not miss any steps -especially since the Sensation comes with a LOCKED bootloader. 

CAVEAT: Even reading the next paragraph probably voids your warranty in Telstra's opinion so avert your eyes if that is a deal breaker for you Smiley Wink

So it is important to make sure you do it all in the right order:

(1) Charge your battery to 100% (don't want to go flat during any of this)

(2) Unlock the bootloader (aka getting "S-OFF") using the "Revolutionary" unlocker

(3) Flash a custom Recovery bootloader - I recomend "4EXT Recovery" - (that will let you do flash backups, root the rom and install firmware/roms)

(4) Use 4EXT Recovery to make a Nand Backup (complete flash image of the existing rom/data) so you can always roll back to that in case of whatever

(5) Use 4EXT Recovery to install a zip pakage that will "root" your existing rom

(6) Boot back into your rooted GB rom and use "Titanium Backup" or "My Backup Root" to make a complete backup of all your apps, data, sms/mms, call history, contacts, accounts, configs, etc. (not all system data/configs will restore cleanly between GB and ICS but as long as you get your sms/mms, call history 

(7) Boot into 4EXT Recovery again and flash the newer ICS firmware (GB firmware will not run ICS roms and vice versa)

(8) Flash the ICS rom of your choice (be it custom or unbranded official ICS)

^^^ That is just an overview. For detailed instructions on each of those steps I would start at this XDA guide - it will link off to several other guides for each of the steps but if you read it carefully it will explain exactly what you are doing (and exactly what bits you want from each guide). NOTE: do not bother with "SuperCID" (wiping Carrier identity from the device) as there are ICS firmwares on XDA (linked on that guide) that have been configured to suit the Telstra CID already (so it isn't worth the hassles SuperCID might cause later).

@random111 wrote:

Still nothing from Telstra.

Seriously how hard is it, if there are hundreds of people out there developing their own custom ROM's etc, surely Telstra with its hoards of employees could do the same in a couple of days!!!!!!

Funnily enough, Telstra aren't even trying to _build_ a ROM themselves. They just give HTC a bunch of "Value Added Software Packages" they would like to have pre-installed (and branded bootup images, etc) and then when they get that ROM from HTC they put it through some exhaustive testing regime that apparently takes 1-2 months.

Whatever "issues" they identify in that testing process are then raised with HTC ... who then have to diagnose and fix them before submitting another candidate ROM back to Telstra to find problems with (rinse and repeat).

Some of these issues are undoubtably caused by the Telstra software but I imagine just as many are caused by minute differences in the Australian Next G network (vs whatever other 850GHz UMTS networks HTC make firmware/roms for). So it isn't all Telstra's fault that there are bugs to be fixed.

What I object to mostly is just the (apparent) lack of urgency to the whole process and how frustratingly uninformed we are about any progress that occurs.

decoy_dan

LOL, well wouldn't you know they seem to have done it by the end of June after all:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/Corrupt-Software-Update/td-p/55268

Still no change on the updates page Smiley LOL

ronslow

I have bought an unlocked Telstra HTC Sensation

I am using it with a Vodafone SIM

There is no software update for Android 4, which I was under the impression was available (from VOdafone and Telstra)

Is there an official downloadable update to ICS ??

How do I get it ??

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit