macandjenny
Level 2: Rookie

I have to ask again....TelstraOne widget woeful failure.

If this post is contrary to the forum policy, I apologise & please delete.

If not, I would again like to ask Mr Steve Baker, or his successor, ( he has not said "boo" about this in many a  day having lauded the app late last year), a question. Indeed, he appears to have not been active on this forum for 5-6 weeks.

Mr Baker, I can best express my dismay about this app/widget by copying my previous post of a few weeks ago below. Please note: If Mr Baker has 'moved on' from the role, could the current incumbent attempt a response please. My earlier post is below.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi all (my first post)

Sorry Telstra but this app, at least  on our two Galaxy s2's is disgraceful. On one of them it works sometimes....on the other I have not got the data usage for 4 months now. Even if I do what it says and go to http://waprd.telstra.com/redirect? etc etc I STILL dont get my usage as I get "page not found" message.

I notice a Mr Steve Baker lauding the app/widget back in late 2011 then giving some 'help' to others who have the same problem in November 2011.....which seems not to have solved it for many.

Anyway....I am unable to find further comments about the status on the net from Mr Baker or any other involved in this product. Mind you, tonight after 22 minutes and 5 re-directions to various Telstra Depts, I got a lady who said that she had heard of the problem before and the best she could do was pass on my comments.

Well that is just not acceptable. The software should work 99% of the time. If not, do NOT release it. I was I.T. director in a merchant bank.....if I rolled out a product like this I'd be shown the door in 24 hours.

Not only that, but I believe it cannot be uninstalled!! Further, some say it is bloated but I am not informed enough to agree/disagree with that.

At best it is not stable/a bit flaky/. At worst....well I cannot say here I think.

Unless Mr Baker or whoever has already given explanation/timelines/detailed support somewhere on this forum, could he/she do so please?

I note that at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telstra.products.telstraone&feature=search_result       that of 420+ comments over 270 give it 3 stars or less. Whats more 180 give it 1 star only and I'm not sure if that site even allows zero stars!!

David

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: I have to ask again....TelstraOne widget woeful failure.

Welcome to CrowdSupport macandjenny, Please feel free to hang around and provide any insight or answer any questions Smiley Happy

As I understand it, some employees (Including Steve, Gareth, Kev to name a few) are able to come on these forums in addition to their normal roles. Its not uncommon for some of the Senior Managers to neglect us here, as its not part of their job role to be on these forums (and they do spend time buried in meetings that ultimatley make things better or worse for us all).

I don't have a Galaxy S2 (I used the HTC Velocity 4G and the Galaxy Nexus), however I personally haven't experienced any issues with the TelstraOne App.

If you are still having issues getting Data Usage to work, you should be able to go to http://m.bigpond.com and Select the "My" Tab where it will come up straight away. You can send a SMS with the word "USE" to 176.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

webologist
Level 4: Private Eye

There was a thread here, but no one in Telstra seemed to look into it

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/TelstraOne-for-Android-and-the-My-Account-widget-panel...

It seems to be a Samsung Galxy S2 issue, i've noticed the problems have become worse with the release of 2.3.6

chery

Try the Credit Usage app available from the market (sorry store) which works consistently and has done for the last couple of years that I've used it

webologist

Thanks for trying to help, but that app isn't getting the info from Telstra so isn't really a solution. (I  already use a data meter app) But I also need to keep an eye on how much data telstra tells me I have.

Ben_F

@webologist wrote:

Thanks for trying to help, but that app isn't getting the info from Telstra so isn't really a solution. (I  already use a data meter app) But I also need to keep an eye on how much data telstra tells me I have.

Which you can do from the Data usage meter via http://m.bigpond.com Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

macandjenny

Re: I have to ask again.......TelstraOne widget woeful failure.

Hi all again (from thread author),

As stated...the TelstraOne widget/app no workie on either of our Galaxy s2's now.

I then try selecting "my account' from within that app. It goes to http://waprd.telstra.com/etc etc and I get "web page not available'  And, yes I am on 3G and connected.

I then try going to http://m.bigpond.com/   I hit the "My" icon from that page and get "Wi-Fi access not supported"

I am not on Wi-Fi. To confirm, I go to "settings", "wireless and network" then "Wi-Fi settings" where I see under Wi-Fi the option saying "turn on Wi-Fi". That message together with the greyed out "tick box" alongside tells me that, contrary to what m.bigpond.com tells me, I am indeed  not on WiFi  . To triple check I select WiFi then de-select WiFi and re-boot.....no change.

Any ideas would be much appreciated people.

Kind Regards

David

Ben_F

What APN are you using on your Galaxy S2 devices?

New Users - Click Here!

webologist

telstra.wap  - I did a factory reset after 2.3.6 and haven't touched the APN

Ben_F

I'm having issues replicating the issue on a few handsets I have here, so can I get everyone to set it to what mine is (which I know its working Smiley Tongue)

Telstra – Internet 

• Name: Telstra Internet
  • APN: telstra.iph
  • Proxy:
  • Port:
  • Username:
  • Password:
  • Server: wap.telstra.com/wap
  • MMSC:
  • MMS Proxy:
  • MMS Port:
  • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 01
  • Authentication Type: CHAP
  • APN Type: default,supl

New Users - Click Here!

macandjenny

Hi Ben,

I have just changed APN from telstra.internet to your suggestion of telstra.iph and now, for the first time in 5 months I can get my usage both via the app/widget and via m.bigpond.com   Whoa!

FYI here are the other settings on the phone (supplied at a Telstra shop).

Name : Telstra Internet

APN : telstra.iph 

Proxy :  not set

Port : not set

Username : not set

Password : not set

Server : not set

MMSC : not set

MMS proxy : not set

MMS port : not set

MMS Protocol :  I must be thick but I dont have this descriptor/option in the list !

MCC : 505

MNC : 01

Authentication Type : not set

APN type : internet

Ben, Do you suggest I change some of the other settings to those in your list or maybe follow the adage "if not broke don't fix " ?

Regardless, thank you very much Ben.

David

Ben_F

If its not broke, don't fix it, and it would be great if you accepted the post as a solution for others to find.

For some reason, Telstra.wap doesn't seem to identify what your mobile details are which is why there is that issue. Perhaps something a network engineer needs to look at but there is a workaround Smiley Very Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

SteveBaker

A colleague alerted me to this post - as per Ben's comments, I am not part of the Telstra social team, but instead work in a Product Management role. I do come on this site periodically to address specific questions or issues. Looks like I might need to log on a little more frequently if I'm going to get called out ;-)

I have just spent the morning using a Samsung Galaxy S2, and while I cannot replicate the issue identified by macandjenny (and resolved by Ben_F) where telstra.wap doesn't work but telstra.iph does, I have logged an issue with our engineering group to investigate further and see if they can identify the cause and implement a solution on our networks. While modifying your APN is a workaround, this isn't something Telstra should be requiring customers to do to enable their services to work.

DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Ok Steve, what about the Telstra One app on the Telstra Xoom. Been there sinc day one, will not update or anything, doesn't do a dam thing. We were told 12 months ago it would be fixed but a big fat nothing!!!!!!!

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Ben_F

Could you provide a bit more info on what the problem with it is? Have you also tried the troubleshooting steps listed here?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

macandjenny

Hi Steve,

Just to clarify to assist your engineers/tech staff....

On my phone it was originally set to telstra.internet not telstra.wap as you said in your post.

It must have been delivered like that as I didn't (still don't really) know what an APN is/ or what it does and indeed had to search an Android forum to identify where to find the APN settings to make the change that Ben suggested to telstra.iph

Kind Regards,

David

SteveBaker

Thanks for the clarification macandjenny I did miss that in my initial response. The telstra.internet APN does not work correctly for mobile services, and should never be used on any phone products. It is for data products (e.g. USB dongles, embedded SIMs) only.

I have gone back and checked the two Android builds of the Samsung Galaxy SII, (2.3.3 and 2.3.6) and both of them come pre-configured with telstra.iph as the APN. Would be interested if you could share how you sourced your device macandjenny. in particular, was it directly from a Telstra store? If you aren't comfortable discussing on the forums, send me a private message.

SteveBaker

Deanja, as per Steph's response in the Acer Iconia A501 thread http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/Telstra-One-App-on-Acer-Iconia-A501/td-p/40773 the full TelstraOne app is currently not compatible with Tablets. The existing client does currently provide the ability to add links Telstra, Sensis and BigPond content and services (long press the desktop, "more", "Telstra My Place", then select the link you require).

I am extremely keen to get a fully featured tablet format TelstraOne client launched, and my team is continuing to work towards that goal. I am not in a position to confirm an ETA at the current time, but will attempt to provide an update once we are nearer a product launch.

DEANJA

Steve Baker;

The app came included on Telstra Xooms. We've heard the same from you going on 12 months ago working on it !

In Telstra exchange you said l;ast July, working on it Xoom owners have asked and asked and yet got no response.

Why was the app included on the Telstra Xoom? Why is it nearly 12 months sitting on there useless. Not good my friend not good.

We are hopeful of getting Android 4 ICS someday, so will that if this ever gets off the ground make it redundant again.

Not good my friend Not good.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Ben_F

@DEANJA wrote:

Steve Baker;

The app came included on Telstra Xooms. We've heard the same from you going on 12 months ago working on it !

In Telstra exchange you said l;ast July, working on it Xoom owners have asked and asked and yet got no response.

Why was the app included on the Telstra Xoom? Why is it nearly 12 months sitting on there useless. Not good my friend not good.

We are hopeful of getting Android 4 ICS someday, so will that if this ever gets off the ground make it redundant again.

Not good my friend Not good.

People complain if they get no updates, and they complain when they get an update....

Can't win really can you?

New Users - Click Here!

DEANJA

For 12 months Xoom owners have asked Mr Baker on his Telstra Exchange column re the Telstra One app all the questions and nearly 12 months ago he said it was coming and would be fixed, would up date us shoertly, so don't lecture me, we've heard all this same response before.

It's more hollow put off, but at least it's a response where he hasn't responded in his own column for 6 months!

Moderator Edit: Edited to within community guidelines

Ben_F

Nothing Official about me at all, I spend my time on here and I answer questions, and provide my opinion. Just because It doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean you have to get to the point of personal attacks.

If you cannot hold a decent, inteligent debate, please don't insult everyone elses inteligence by stooping to the point of having to call people names. I grew out of doing that in Primary School Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

DEANJA

@Ben_F wrote:

People complain if they get no updates, and they complain when they get an update....

Can't win really can you?

THATS A PERSONAL ATTACK

Ben_F

It's not a personal attack on any individual, simply a statement that Telstra can't win. If it provides an update, people complaint, if it doesn't and waits for more information, the. It's accused of not doing anything.

It's different to yours in the sense that you have accused me of something for which you have no basis for accusing me. You have also stated that I'm "official" in some respect which is completely untrue.

Can we keep this thread on topic about the app please :-). Currently, it's not supported on tablets but the device guys are looking at ways to change this.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

webologist

@Ben_F wrote:

I'm having issues replicating the issue on a few handsets I have here, so can I get everyone to set it to what mine is (which I know its working Smiley Tongue)

Telstra – Internet 

Name: Telstra Internet

• APN: telstra.iph
  • Proxy:
  • Port:
  • Username:
  • Password:
  • Server: wap.telstra.com/wap
  • MMSC:
  • MMS Proxy:
  • MMS Port:
  • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 01
  • Authentication Type: CHAP
  • APN Type: default,supl

Thanks, that seems to fixed it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit