Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

ICS for SII available

My SII just came up with a message that ICS is available for download on Telstra SII!

Downloading now as we speak..

That came quick.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
65 REPLIES 65
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: ICS for SII available

Let me shout the team who woked on getting this out a virtual beer or pub squash!

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Do we know it's ICS?  Might be a bugfix for 2.3.6.  Up to 73%. So slow. D:

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@excelerate wrote:

That came quick.

please remind those that have been tapping their keyboards madly in anticipation, some seem to think it has taken forever

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

Yes, ICS. Smiley Surprised

Well then I agree, that WAS quite fast.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can anyone with ICS on SII using mail for exchange please let us know if they are not able to access/see all sub folders in their inbox.  I also know that users are having wireless drop outs more rrequently since going to ICS, has anyone else experienced this?

I have received the push notification that ICS is available but not upgrading until I can confirm that these above mentioned issues are not affecting Telstra ICS - the above issues are being on Optus/Virgin versions.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Got the message to say I had the update available on the way home.  I didn't have a lot of battery so I cancelled it figuring i could just go run it manually later.

NO DICE.

Ran it manually and "no update is available" Smiley Sad

Highlighted

People are reporting that over on Whirlpool too.  People are also saying the download speeds are pretty abysmal, so I'd assume that the servers are just overloaded.

Just wait a bit and try again later.  I hope it's sorted for you soon!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Well i haven't received notification, 

when going into "check for updates" 

i get "connetion failed"

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I got ICS msg, took half hour to update and install to find my phone was back to brand new. All my 'personalisations' had been reset to default. Pain in the ass, but update appears to be working great. Now it's going to take me another six months to learn my new flash phone all over again. Woohoo!!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Everyone, 

If you're looking to do the Samsung Galaxy S2 upgrade, you can do it one of two ways.
It isn't available for the Samsung Galaxy S24G yet.

Over The Air (OTA)
You'll either get a push notification on your phone asking you to update, or you can go to Settings, About Phone, Software Update

Its about 200 MB so you might like to wait until your connected to WiFi at home to do the update.

The other option is via Samsung Kies 

Just connect via USB Cable ( firmware updates aren't available via WiFi conection to Kies)
Once it's connected a message should appear on screen asking you if you want to do the Firmware Update. 

If it doesn't once your phone is showing as connected go to Tools, firmware Upgrade and Initialisation 
Then just follow the on screen prompts :-) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I also haven't received a notification, I go to check manually and iut says no update available.

Phone purchased on GS2 release day through Telstra shop... any other ways to get hold of the official ROM?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mikezx6

Yep, as I mentioned in my post above just use Samsung Kies to get the update :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I have made 2 attempts with Kies, it downloads the update file, and informs me that my phone cannot be found, and to remove the battery and restart the process.

Are you sure you cant just publish the ROM file?
Im not even having any luck with the software update function.
Highlighted

I also got a notification on my way home, canceled it till I got home, and now it says no update available when I check manually.

Then when I connect it to kies, where it says Current Firware Version:                   there is nothing, its blank, and so therefore it won't give me any update.

How do I fix this?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fh_3

The above 2 methods will be the only ways of updating to ICS, the ROM won't be published.

Have you tried using a different USB port at all?
Or a different computer perhaps?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Simonkingston, 

Does Kies register your phone on the left under Connected Devices?

Also, are you connected via USB or WiFi to Kies?

Highlighted

I think I might just do a factory reset, maybe that will fix the detection issue.

Wish me luck Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi Steph. I only have the one PC available at the moment.

(My laptop is hanging on the line after my sister spilt her coffee in it...)

It seems that 3rd time is a charm, touch wood. It seem to be making progress now.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Always worth a try ;-) 

The update removes customization anyway, so as long as your backed up before you try, then no harm :-)

Highlighted

I'm connected with USB and yes it's registering as connected.

It shows all my folders, photos, etc, just blank for the firmware version

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey fh_3

Fingers crossed then :-D

I'm not sure I'd still have a sister if anything was spilt on my laptop

I'd love to see a pic of your Laptop hanging on the line though ;-) 

Highlighted

i"ll take one once the sun comes up Steph. In other news, I have success. Was alot faster than I expected it would be, once it finally got going.

Now to put all the crapware into a folder so it doesnt clutter my menu anymore....

Highlighted

Just did a factory reset, including formatting the SD card, and nothing Smiley Mad Smiley Sad wtf?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Simon, 

How old is the version of Kies your using?

Can you check Help, and then Kies information and let me know :-) 

Steph

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ha! I look forward to it :-D

Glad it worked for you though, I got a shock when it appeared tonight, thrilled with it though.
There are a couple of new features that I am in love with :-) 

Highlighted

Version 2.3.0.12035_16

Highlighted

Does anyone know the new screenshot key combo? Home+Power isnt working anymore.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Yep, certainly do.. 

A little bit tricky, but its the Home, Power, and Volume Down buttons all at once.

It shows the shot on the screen for a few seconds afterwards to show what it looks like Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

This is good, and I am happy!

Mine got notification of an update, and it downloaded OTA, update went smoothly.

Now is the fun getting used to the new OS.

Highlighted

How dissapointing..

Another failed attempt at a telstra experience. Had a update notice apear on phone but was not on my wifi. Cancelled and when connected to wifi or 3g i cannot manually get update.

Connected to pc and continuous time outs.

Connected to another and it has downloaded numerous times and then has an error notice of not being able to go into download or something similar....

Getting really annoyed.

Anyone able to help.

Dan

Highlighted

Any ideas how long till it will release for the S114G ?

Highlighted

I updated my S2 with kies... and had no problems...

Very impressed with ICS, the phone feels more responsive..

Thank you !!

regards

james

Highlighted

I downloaded the update last night, installed it and then it's still showing the gingerbread in the build number...

Is this correct? Doesn't look like it's ICS to me either. Is there a way I can check to be 100% sure?

Highlighted

If you were on old firmware i.e DVKF2 and did OTA update than your phone will be updated to DVLB2 i.e android 2.3.6. Now you have to wait for another OTA notification or update it through kies. It seems that Samsung/Telstra has temporarily pulled off OTA updates. I am trying since this morning but no luck. Have to wait till I go home.
Highlighted

I am pretty sure i was on the current version anyway, was checking for updates pretty regually! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Looks like update via Kies is working. It found an update when over the air was telling me there were no updates. Will update once it's completed Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Ok all running. thanks to an awesome telstra tech guy at my local store.
Still cost me $19.95 for him to get it to work. he unsure of what was going on but it eventually did the update.
Any telstra rep on here who would be nice enough to help me get a refund of the cost that it cost me as i dont really understand or think that i should have paid as i am a telstra customer.

Cheers
Highlighted

tried to get it via kies but not working. says "failed to convert to upgrade". 

why's this so difficult? previous upgrades were so simple...

Highlighted

Hi. I downloaded the upgrade through Kies this morning. didnt have a problem. I use Easy Task Killer and since the ipgrade ive noticed the app is saying that the phone is using bout 20% more memory than before. It also seems to me to run a bit slower. Was wondering if there was any thoughts on this.

Highlighted

Are you using a mac ? thats one of the errors i got on the mac that i tried
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Hey all,

If anyone is interested in backing up their phone before upgrading (Just in case!) there is a simple guide at;

http://androidyard.com/how-to-backup-contacts-messages-etc-from-samasung-galaxy-s2-using-kies.html

You will need to first insall Samsung Kies on your computer however, its the same program you already have installed on your phone. http://www.samsung.com/au/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

To completely backup your phone in the event you don't like ICS changes, you'd need to create root access which would allow you to 100% backup your phone. As there are risks in doing this and it's not supported by Telstra I'm unable to post anything about it but in my personal experience it's relatively easy and there are plenty of guides and methods.

Lathania

Wow, I found an annoying bug in the SGS2 ICS update. In the gallery app, I seem to have lost all the Share Via options, I used to be able to share via twitter directly from the gallery, but the only options now are allshare and picasa...
Highlighted

Hi Steph,

I know that the S24G (GT-I9210T) is a different piece of hardware, and therefore knew there would be a delay on ICS release of this phone.

Do you have some sort of time for it's release?

Great phone by the way.

Regards,

Brian
Highlighted

Same with me i cant share via many things any more Smiley Sad what have you done telstra? this is not fun!!

Highlighted

I've noticed that to and its kind of annoying. and the photos in gallery dont auto rotate when you turn phone around. still think the update is well worth it
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bwp85, 

No we don't have any details about the update for the SII4G as yet.

When we do, we'll add it to the SmartPhone Software Update page here:
http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones/?red=/mobile/phones/smartphones.ht...

Fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later.

Highlighted

I got another ICS update request today, so thank god. Now it's up and running and it's all good.
Highlighted

simonkingston, is your ICS letting you share via facebook and other places VIA the Gallery section?

is anyone else having the issue of no share ability from the gallery section?

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

pacificblue03, yes it does appear that way. However when you take a photo, the ability is as usual. Strange I know, but there are a few things that have left me scratching my already bald head.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit