Urrk
Level 3: Gumshoe

Irritating daily calls from Health Insurance Comparison

Answered

I keep blocking these calls, but occasionally they change the number. The latest is 0411 676 195.

Ok, the calls are blocked, but they still show up in my call log, so I know they happen every day.

Does anyone else have the same issue with Health Insurance Comparison?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Irritating daily calls from Health Insurance Comparison

That happens if you have done a search through their website (or if someone else has entered your number instead of their own).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

That happens if you have done a search through their website (or if someone else has entered your number instead of their own).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Urrk

I have not used the Health Insurance Comparison website, but your second possibility may be correct. I think lots of people give fake online details where possible for privacy reasons and to avoid being hassled with unwanted marketing or worse. During COVID, many businesses require a contact phone number as part of their COVID safe plan. I would guess that many such numbers left at cafes and bars are fake.

Unfortunately,  a fake number might simply redirect spammers to another person.

Jupiter

If you know which of the comparison websites was calling you, you can contact them and withdraw the consent for them to call you (takes up to 30 days to become effective).

Urrk

I will probably contact the problem website. I have put off that action so far to avoid simply confirming to them that my phone number is active. It's a question of the sleaziness or otherwise of the website as to how much to trust direct contact and risk more surreptitious data slurping.

BTW, my phone number is on the Do Not Call Register but that has more holes in it than grandma's old sieve. I doubt if any website cross-checks scraped phone numbers against the register.

Jupiter

If your number has been entered on the site (even if it's by someone else), then the Do Not Call Register does not apply. Once you revoke their permission to contact you, it applies again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit