PhilSmith1
Level 1: Cadet

Mobike internet

Guys

Why is my mobile internet dropping in and out when I try and listen to a radio station. It doesnt matter which app or station I try it cuts in and out all the time. I contacted 4BC in Brisbane and they said it is caused by network changes. What is going on

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Mobike internet

You haven't advised what device or apps you are having problems on, but her is a general response...

The broadcaster (4BC) only provides an stream to various providers. I am not sure what they are suggesting with their 'network changes' comment. So starting at the things ou can do... Is your device in good condition? (Drops and knocks may not cause visible damage but can loosen internal components which affects performance). You are using an app to listen to the radio station of your choice so check if those apps are up to date.

Your internet connection is another issue, and it can be hard to maintain good 4G/5G connections (internet) if you are moving and sometimes even if you are stationary. There are all sorts of reasons for that - signal level and 'bandwidth' being just two factors in encountering problems in the quality of an audio stream that is higher fidelity (bandwidth) than a voice conversation. But keeping your device high, away from other hardware as with as clear a path to the cell tower you are connecting to, all help. The human body does quite a good job of shielding and attenuating radio (internet/4G etc.) signal. I am sure you are aware of black spots where you can't call/talk? But because of the low bandwidth required, SMS/Text will often work quite OK in those same locations where voice breaks up.

There is no magic bullet to fix all that stuff..  just think how many devices there are out there, and how the impact others - they all need a conncetion to work and in highly congested areas that can become an issue if you are using a high bandwidth app. Audio streams require a bigger bandwidth than voice, video require significantly more. All those devices are competing in the airspace - it is not a simple task to manage and improve it all so everyone gets perfect service.

I use a streaming service to listen to radio over a broadband internet service - even that stutters or cuts out occasionally which is frustrating but not the end of the world to me. If I really want to listen to music I either use music already stored on my device or at home, on a network drive. Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Re: Mobike internet

Something else you can check, if you listen to music or other audio that is stored on your device, does that break up as well? You haven't said what you are listening on - headset, buds etc. All are points of signal interference.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit