Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile number not recognized by Google

I'm helping a friend who has never had a mobile and needs a new gmail account. Their new Telstra prepaid number is 0460 xxx xxx but Google signup says the number is invalid. I tried another Telstra mobile number and this was accepted, so the number entry format is correct it's just the new number.

What is the best avenue to have Google update their validation rules?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Mobile number not recognized by Google

@jebz wrote:

I'm helping a friend who has never had a mobile and needs a new gmail account. Their new Telstra prepaid number is 0460 xxx xxx but Google signup says the number is invalid. I tried another Telstra mobile number and this was accepted, so the number entry format is correct it's just the new number.

What is the best avenue to have Google update their validation rules?

@jebz My understanding is usually when that happens it is because it was used previously.

Try  and Receive a verification code by phone call that should then release the number.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

The number range 0460 xxx xxx was allocated to Telstra in December 2018. It's not likely to be recycled yet.
Highlighted

With the new number range 0460 000 000 - 0460 999 999 this validation issue is likely to occur 100's of thousands of times before the number allocation is exhausted. Now is the time for Telstra to communicate with Google and other major entities who use Telstra mobile services for modern communication to resolve this issue.
Highlighted

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jebz.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However, I believe the best avenue to have this issue addressed would be through Google support.

I have found an article on Google's Support Pages which states:

"This phone number cannot be used for verification"

If you see this error message, you'll have to use a different number. In an effort to protect you from abuse, we limit the number of accounts each phone number can create.

If this is the message that you see, it may mean that your friend has already signed up for a Google account using this number.

Please let me know if this helps.

-Kieran

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

@jebz wrote:
The number range 0460 xxx xxx was allocated to Telstra in December 2018. It's not likely to be recycled yet.

@jebz Did you try the call back feature which I alluded to in an above post?

Highlighted

Hello Ozmoz,
My friend is 200km away now in the country.
They've never had a smart phone before or Google account. To setup a Google account you need a valid mobile phone number which the validation rules in Google check to proceed. We tried both the 1st and 3rd methods you listed in the call back list. To establish the Google account we used the number of my data service to enable the verification code. We completed the Google account setup and phone.
Once this was complete we attempted to revert the mobile number in the Google account to the new number but once again it responded the number is invalid. This problem is likely to effect a considerable portion of the 1 million new numbers.
Highlighted

@KieranB wrote:

If this is the message that you see, it may mean that your friend has already signed up for a Google account using this number.

Please let me know if this helps.

-Kieran

@jebz 

@KieranB That is not what is happening. Google is not recognising the new Telstra numbers. The number has NOT been used previously. And my suggestion of using the call back feature doesn't seem to work on un-recognised new numbers.

I've got no idea on how google finds out when a telco releases a new set of numbers, so maybe someone at Telstra support can sort this out for the OP?

Highlighted

Facebook Telstra

"Hi,

Just touching base with you to let you know that we've escalated the case. We appreciate all the info you've been able to provide.

Get back to us if we can help further in the mean time.

Angela"

No news yet.

Highlighted

@jebz wrote:

Facebook Telstra

"Hi,

Just touching base with you to let you know that we've escalated the case. We appreciate all the info you've been able to provide.

Get back to us if we can help further in the mean time.

Angela"

No news yet.

@jebz Glad to see it is being looked at :-) Let us know when you find it has been fixed?

I'm a bit disappointed that it took a Facebook post for action, than a Crowd Support post :-(

Highlighted

@Ozmoz wrote:

@jebz Glad to see it is being looked at :-) Let us know when you find it has been fixed?

I'm a bit disappointed that it took a Facebook post for action, than a Crowd Support post :-(

No movement on resolving or progress. My friend checked on the weekend and the new number still couldn't be used with his Google account.

Highlighted

@Ozmoz wrote:

Well it's been over a month now and 2 weeks since I reached out to Telstra via their social media Facebook presence. No feedback other than the original "we've escalated it" comment.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Have you contacted Google to advise them that their database is out of date and that they need to update their records for the Australian numbering system (which is administered by the ACMA, not Telstra). Telstra don't release blocks of numbers, the ACMA does that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

New research: How effective is basic account hygiene at preventing hijacking

May 17, 2019

"Our research shows that simply adding a recovery phone number to your Google Account can block up to 100% of automated bots."

https://security.googleblog.com/2019/05/new-research-how-effective-is-basic.html

This is taking too long!

Highlighted

You're complaining in the wrong place. Only Google can resolve the issue. It is their system.
If they do nothing, then nothing happens.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Well I'm not the only one having the issue. Potentially 100,000's with a total of 1million numbers in the range. This user is also having similar issues -

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3v0k1jz3

Highlighted

Yes. I know how many numbers are involved, but again, it is Google that you need to contact to get the problem solved.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit