wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Motorola ATRIX FOTA Gingerbread update

Hi All,

Just wanted to inform all Motorola ATRIX customers that there is a new firmware update available with various enhancements & improvements to both useability as well as bring it in line with Gingerbread.

The size of this update is approx 194MB in size, as such it is recommended to download this update over Wi-Fi where possible.

To perform this update (if you have cleared your notifications) you need to do the following from the home screen

1. Press on the Menu Key
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select About Phone
  4. Select Software Update
  5. Click on Download

With this your download should begin. As a precaution, do not interfere with the update, do a battery pull even if you think the phone is powered down, it may cause issues with the update, and may cause your phone to not work correctly.

For those who manage to update their phones, please leave a comment on what you thought of this update.

Happy Updating

WilsonL

Tech Expert & Smartphone Champion Claremont WA

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

Need some Technical Advice & Support, Book a Tech Bar Session with a Tech Expert Today

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
39 REPLIES 39
WhiteSpider
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Motorola ATRIX FOTA Gingerbread update

I done everything to the t and downloaded the update... twice now.... when i start the update it goes to a screen with the little droid and a bar showing how far it has loaded... after about a quarter there is a triangle with ! in it and the phone is unresponsive except the first time where it gave me some options to delete something reboot ect...

why will this not work?

trying for the 3rd time now to download.... can i save the download to my pc to save having to redownload???

wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi WhiteSpider,

I think you might have gone to a screen which maybe the bootloader. Since I am only assuming here, can you attach the images of what you are encountering, including that particular one which gives you options to delete, as I did not encounter this when I was updating mine.

In relation to having it downloaded to PC: I have checked the software update website, and as current the ATRIX is not listed as being downloadable.

The update should be a simple few clicks (do not press any buttons when the little droid is showing on screen), with the screen you are encountering it would mean there might be some issues for your phone. My suggestion in this case if you are still encountering an issue with updating is contacting Motorola Mobility Support on 1300 138 823 and quering them with your issue.

I do hope that you get this resolved, if you do leave a post as to what you did and how it was resolved.

Kind Regards,

WilsonL

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

Need some Technical Advice & Support, Book a Tech Bar Session with a Tech Expert Today
late84
Level 1: Cadet

I have applied the update which looks great on the phone, but since doing so (and restarting several times) I cannot access any data (other than a Wi-Fi connection).

Have been speaking to the Telstra helpdesk for the last 30mins with no success in fixing the problem.

Any thoughts?

wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Late84,

I love the new layout also, it looks absolutely brilliant, with the added bonus of profiles which you can switch on the fly from Personal -> Business by selecting Menu>Profiles from the home screen

It sounds like you might be missing or the internet settings on the phone for Telstra.

To check this (from the home screen): Menu>Settings>Wireless & Network Settings>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

Ensure that Telstra (Telstra.iph) is selected with a green dot.

If not you can have the settings sent to the phone using the Telstra Configuration Portal

Hope that this helps,

Kind Regards,

WilsonL

WhiteSpider

so i done it again and this screen for about 15 mins

_MG_1844.JPG

hjthomson

I have exactly the same problem. I went online and got my settings resent to my phone. installed them and still nothing. i then called telstra support and they didnt even know the update had been released (OS call centre). We went through some troubleshooting and the issue has been escalation to level 3 and im expecting a call back within 3 - 5 working days. NOT HAPPY!

hjthomson

The update itself went through fine for me - but ever since the update no telstra internet... VERY frustrating...

late84

I have downloaded the configuration settings again with no luck.
Something worth noting is that the Access Point name that the Configuration Portal sends is "Telstra.internet" and not "Telstra.iph" as you suggested.
hjthomson

Hey LATE84 - I have worked it out!! Went to the Telstra Shop and they fixed it within 2 seconds. The people in the telstra call centre overseas have no idea!

the details you need to make it work are as follows!

Name: Telstra

APN: Telstra.iph

Proxy: NOT SET

Port: NOT SET

Username: NOT SET

Password: NOT SET

Server: NOT SET

MMSC: NOT SET

MMS proxy: NOT SET

MMS Port: NOT SET

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Authentication type: NONE

APN TypeSmiley Very Happyefault

APN protocol: IPv4.

GOOD LUCK!!! ( DO NOT USE THE CONFIG SET UP ON THE TELSTRA PAGE AS IT DOESNT WORK!!)

late84

Thanks HJTHOMSON!!
You are a champion.

I tried to stop at my local Telstra Shop during the lunch break, but the line up was faaar too long.

Problem solved.
haiiro99

I was quite excited to see the Gingerbread update and wasted no time trying to do it myself.

I enabled Data and Background Data, disabled the Data Saver went to Settings->About Phone and clicked System Updates whereupon a popup appeared with "Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later."

I also setup shortcuts on the home screen using Anycut for System Updates which came up with the same error, and "FOTA" which didn't seem to do anything.

I then went digging around the net to see if I'm doing something wrong or not doing something right and stumbled on this forum.

So then the requisite question; why is it not working?

Do I need to go into a Telstra shop? (I consider myself reasonably tech savvy as long as someone points out what I should be looking for/ doing. I'm not on a wifi network (till I get home) but have enough data spare to do this now, if only it would work..

hjthomson

You wont believe it!!! Just noticed my Mms wont work now!! Looks like im going back to the Telstra shop tomorrow. :/
WhiteSpider

so again now 5 times ive tried to download and install and all i get is a frozen phone with the little droid and ! in a triangle!!??!!??!!??!!??!! is there any way to pull the downloaded update off the phone befor running it??? but reading the other posts maybe i should just leave it the way it is.... also will having the phone rooted stop the update?

gangav

Updated OK, but my Exchange connection is broken.

I've checked and re-entered all the details in Corporate Sync, but no luck.

Rebooted a couple of times. No luck.

Checked if works on WiFi-only or 3G-only. No luck.

Any ideas, anyone?

hjthomson

So - Just thought id post if you guys had the same issues as me....

For me to have telstra internet AND MMS working i now use ONLY these settings below..

Work fine with no issues...

Name: Telstra w/ Portal

• APN: telstra.internet

• Proxy: 10.1.1.181

• Port: 80

Username: <Not set>

Password: <Not set>

Server: <Not set>

MMSC: http://mmsc.telstra.com:8002

• MMS proxy: 10.1.1.181

MMS Port: 80

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

• MCC: 505

• MNC: 01

• Authentication Type: <Not set>

• APN type: <Not set>

FINALLY after a few days of mental frustration - all fixed.. No thanks to Telstra though... Thanks to a friend called Stevie J!!

And the update is great!! Well done - Bit sad that Icecream Sandwich 4.0 is out today though...

haiiro99

If anyone else is having the same problem as me, according to the Motorola tech, it is because the update being rolled out in batches.

wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey All,

Many apologies that responses have been taking a while. I am doing this alongside working in store, so I'll post updates as soon as I get a free moment to do so.

So far, there have been some excellent responses to questions posed [1]. Thank you hjthompson for the APN information in your posts.

I can confirm that the update is being rolled out in batches, and if you have not received a notification, the update may not be ready for you to be able to download. I believe that Motorola has released it in batches to minimise server overloading.

Haiiro99 - as for your update, there maybe some time delay between the notification and the download. In my case, I received my notification in the morning, and was only able to download this update sometime around 11pm that night, from the sounds of it you might actually get your update soon.

Late84 - in regards to pointing out Telstra.Internet vs Telstra.iph, it should both work. I have tried both personally on mine, should not make a difference except that it is more recommended to use Telstra.iph as the preferred APN for internet.

Whitespider - Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but having a rooted handset will make a difference as to whether or not you can install the update OTA. Reading some posts on XDA-Developers Forum here seems to indicate that having a rooted phone, your only real chance to see this upgrade is via an update through the computer. Seems like you are going to have attempt this upgrade this update once the computer downloadable update is made available.

Seems like the crowd has spoken before I came back

If you have any further queries and or feedback keep them coming, the crowd here are all here to help

Kind Regards,

WilsonL

[edit 1] removed due to original post being uneditable 

ozblond

Hi all,

I just phoned Motorola on their 1300138823 number and after numerous phone calls with Telstra who could not fix the problem, Motorola had the Gingerbread Update 3g Network loss problem fixed within seconds.  They told me to do the following and it worked straight away, 

Go to Settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Acess Point Names, Press your Menu Button the little 4 squares button, 2 options popup, click the reset to default, straight away after that your 3g should come back up in the status bar at the top of the phone, you should then be able to connect to the internet and  receive data again straight away, before this mine had only started working on wifi after doing the ginger bread update on Wednesday with no data available except through the wifi.  It still keeps the gingerbread update but puts you back on the 3g network till the 4g is rolled out in your area, now I have the latest android widgets etc and it works beautifully.

Good luck!!

Ozblond xx

gangav

There have been many problems reported with MS-Exchange e-mail syncing with Gingerbread - e.g., here: http://www.google.com.au/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=4ac83c696297f13f&fid=4ac83c696297f...

Anyone else have these iseues?

kururunfa2x

When can we expect the download to be available from the Motorola site,

clicking their Support menu ends up doing nothing and the mobile is not available from listbox for selection when going to software upgrades

ashby

I also received the update over the weekend and had problems with data over the network. This is the order in which things happened for me.

1. Prior to the update I was happily receiving network data speeds of anywhere between 6Mbps - 8Mbps, ping time of less than 50ms.
  2. Downloaded the update on Friday night. Was instantly unable to receive any network data.
  3. On Sat morning I found a whirlpool forum post suggesting changing the APN to remove the Authentication Type (CHAP / PAP). Removing this fixed the issue over the weekend, and I was back to receiving speeds of around 7Mbps.
  4. This morning my data connection constantly dropped in and out, allowing no more than around 5 seconds of access at a time, then dropping out for around 20 seconds.
  5. I tried each of the suggestions in this post. The only one that worked without drop-outs was resetting all APNs to default (thanks v much to the person who suggested that).

My download speed is now back to nearly 8Mbps, upload over 1Mbps and ping speed of 119ms. Happy days! Smiley Tongue

TECH SUPPORT - HOW ABOUT PROVIDING CLEAR AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RESOLVE THESE ISSUES NEXT TIME THERE'S AN UPDATE?? I think it's really weak from Telstra that the onus is pushed back onto the consumer to find out and disseminate this information. I'm guessing there are thousands out there right now who are having the same problems and either won't know to come to this forum, or will be receiving incorrect information from the Telstra Shop or telephone support. Not really good enough.

WhiteSpider

so when will it be avail like that??? i unrooted and still no luck... also found where the update was being downloaded to and copied it using root explorer but assume this is not like what you are refering too???
haiiro99

Running the risk of coming across like a winger, still no notification or anything other than "Checking for updates not available at this time".
Also, when I try to check via Wifi, I seem to get an infinite (had this running overnight once) "please wait" loop.
I have a feeling I'll be visiting a Telstra shop soon..
WhiteSpider

i wouldn't bother with the shop.... i went there before i started reading this thread and, im a little bit tech savy but no pro and still i knew more about the happenings of this update & the phone itself.... i would try motorola.....

tallan_os

I updated with no problems.

Has anyone been able to use USB Tethering on Gingerbread?  I can enable it on the phone but can't work out how to get the computer to use it (MAC OSX).  Wifi tethering works fine but kills the battery on the phone so USB would be preferred.

Any tips?

wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All once again,

alrighty, seems like we have encountered some more issues,

Gangav - I am currently using a Push exchange with Hotmail (without certificate verification), it comes up from time to time with "Invalid Server Certificate", I believe it is something along this line that you are having queries about. I have here a link from Motorola in relation to certificates Motorola ATRIX Root Certificate Management. From what I have read, if the certificate is "self-signed" you will either have to install the certificate or uncheck verify certificate.

Kururunfa2x - In relation to when. Motorola ATRIX Update is now available for download.

Whitespider & haiiro99 - Update now available as download via computer, check the note above, hope that this expediates the update process. Please let me know how this works out for you both

Tallan_os - For Mac OSX, I have tested tethering via usb and it seems to work fine. Would advise to check under System Preferences if there is a MB860. Alternatively you can get a program called PdaNet.

Ashby - Thanks for the constructive feedback. I can see what I can do to feed this back. Tech support go through a trial and error / elmination process to find out the root cause of the problem.

Apologies if replys have been delayed, have been doing some research into each of your specific issues, thanks again for your responses, please keep them coming

Happy Updating everyone

Kind Regards,

WilsonL

tallan_os

Hi WilsonL,

I'm missing MB860 from my network preferences it seems.  Is there some software I need to run to install it?  

Thanks for your help.

wilson_law
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tallan_os

There should not be any necessity for any software to be run on the Mac OSX for it to work, unless the tethering does not work natively.

The following are steps that I took to make tethering work on Mac OSX (10.7).

1. Connect Motorola ATRIX to the computer

2. If the ATRIX Storage loads as a USB on the computer, eject the USB
    This is because when the USB is being used for Internet sharing, it cannot be used as a USB.

3. Go to Settings>Wireless & networks> Tethering & Mobile Hotspot
    Put a green tick in the USB Tethering as follows
    1319639181534.png

4. On MAC OSX go to System Preferences> Network
    This screen or similar should appear
    network.png

5. If your ATRIX does not show up (is MB860 due to model number) Click on the circled "+" sign
    This should enable you to add the missing device, and create the missing link

Hope that this provides some guidance as to how to enable your phone for USB Tethering on yor MAC.

Kind Regards,

WilsonL 

Index50

Hi Ozblond,

Thank you for some extremely straight forward steps to repair the issue! They worked perfectly and now I'm back to having my NextG data connection...all is now good in the world. Your post was greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

Index50

@ozblond wrote:

Hi all,

I just phoned Motorola on their 1300138823 number and after numerous phone calls with Telstra who could not fix the problem, Motorola had the Gingerbread Update 3g Network loss problem fixed within seconds.  They told me to do the following and it worked straight away, 

Go to Settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Acess Point Names, Press your Menu Button the little 4 squares button, 2 options popup, click the reset to default, straight away after that your 3g should come back up in the status bar at the top of the phone, you should then be able to connect to the internet and  receive data again straight away, before this mine had only started working on wifi after doing the ginger bread update on Wednesday with no data available except through the wifi.  It still keeps the gingerbread update but puts you back on the 3g network till the 4g is rolled out in your area, now I have the latest android widgets etc and it works beautifully.

Good luck!!

Ozblond xx

inch

G'day, I still cannot see the update with the pc/computer updater or OTA...
I am on system version: 4.1.12.MB860.Telstra.en.AU

any ideas?
kururunfa2x

Thanks, great news about the Update being available for download from the Motorola site, works well.
kururunfa2x

I had to root the phone, delete the Telstra entries in the telephony.db (SQlIte), reboot and manually recreate the entries in the DB, none of the described methods worked for me, resetting the APN's resulted in disabled APN's for MMS and WAP, and the telstra.internet did not work, had to add proxy IP address
kururunfa2x

Motorola ATRIX 45.31.0.MB860.Telstra.en.AU

Upgraded to the latest over the air update on the 22.Nov. all went well however it seems my signal strength has significantely reduced since installing it.

I am in overseas (Okinawa-Japan) at the moment that may have something to do with it, however the signal strength was ok prior to the upgrade.

One thing I noticed is, when I go to Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile Networks  the signal strength shows full bars while I remain there, without doing anything else.   As soon as I exit the Mobile Networks menu the reception reverts to Emergency calls only

kururunfa2x

Re: Motorola ATRIX 45.31.0.MB860.Telstra.en.AU

Seem to have something to do with the Automatic Network selection, if I select a network operator manually it works
dutch0703

I am a long time Telstra customer. I have recently acquired a Motorola Atrix unlocked (not through Telstra).

I have put my Telstra SIM in and configured the appropriate APN for MMS and Internet.

All works fine except for one thing. I have two APPS that are giving trouble. One is a Remote Desktop Client and the other "Touchdown" is a Mcrosoft Exchange Client. Both of these APPS change the time on my server to GMT (11 hours behind EDST). The phone settings are OK. The date and time are updating properly.

I can only assume that there is a problem within the handset system that causes this.

My question is this. Is it possible to flash this phone with the full Telstra firmware? I am thinking that this will fix my problem.

dutch0703

To get your Internet working properly, you need to setup an APN. Follow the link below to see how to do this:

https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20504613-new-telstra-apn-settings-for-motorola-atrix-samsung-ga...

dutch0703

dutch0703
dutch0703

That will work for Internet but if you want Internet and MMS use this link:
https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20504613-new-telstra-apn-settings-for-motorola-atrix-samsung-ga...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit