PJC3
Level 1: Cadet

My new android mobile continually downloads old emails.settings? I am a novice at these things.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: My new android mobile continually downloads old emails.settings? I am a novice at these things.

Which email provider are you referring to, and what makes you think that old settings are being used?.

Just in case you are referring to Telstra Mail, the recommended settings can be found on the Telstra website.

sophieg24
Support Team
Support Team

Re: My new android mobile continually downloads old emails.settings? I am a novice at these things.

Hey PJC3, 

Are you still having issues with your phone downloading old settings? 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Which app are you using for email and who is the email account with (gmail, bigpond, outlooke etc.) and is it set up as IMAP or POP?

It could well be a setting in that email app

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
PJC3
Level 1: Cadet

Yes.The problem is still there. I am using IMAP settings for my Telstra email settings and following directions as per the Telstra website . I have a laptop and an iPad which appear to have the same settings and do not have a problem.

Dowser

Please explain what makes you think that old settings are being used?.

You have also not answered the question of which email client app you are using.  It can be worthwhile providing such information.

You could try an alternative app, such as the (free) Microsoft Outlook or Google Gmail apps, to see if they have the same problem.

SteveW_52

You might be using the same settings for Telstra on all devices, but the APP's will be different? So it is likely to be an account setting in the app that is causing all the old emails to download.

If setup correctly, the IMAP type of account, should allow you to synchronise all appearances of that account, so they all look the same - delete off one device, deletes off all devices for example.

But to be downloading all the emails, means that those emails must still be in your Telstra/Bigpond account - which in my opinion is not the best way to manage emails, do it on your own device instead of on the email server. And the app (which is probably the base android email or whatever the mail app is for your phone) is set to sync ALL emails most likely

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit